Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 478 479 [480] 481 482 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1545649 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread- Voting Trump/Wallace in '168
« Reply #7185 on: December 02, 2015, 03:24:33 pm »

Terrorism isnt about PR.
It's about political climate manipulation.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7186 on: December 02, 2015, 03:26:59 pm »

Given that it was a center for disabled children, I'm expecting a lot of dead kids. :(

Gut reaction is that it's not terrorism. But if the multiple shooter angle is confirmed....I dunno. Doesn't make sense if you're trying to win hearts and minds, even in the Islamic world. There's just no PR upside to gunning down disabled kids.

Yeah, exactly, it makes no sense if it was terrorism because targeting disabled people is low, even for the likes of ISIS.

Terrorism isnt about PR.

They didn't even have to attack here to manipulate the political climate.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7187 on: December 02, 2015, 03:29:52 pm »

Terrorism isnt about PR.
Which you manipulate through PR. Terrorism for a political cause is very much about PR.

The MO doesn't match either. No explosives, no suicidal confrontation.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7188 on: December 02, 2015, 03:30:44 pm »

On a technicality, current fundamentalist terrorists have their own metrics for morality, it is not compatible with much of the modern western world.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7189 on: December 02, 2015, 03:31:30 pm »

Islamic terror agencies have several agendas, one of which is the cessation of drone strikes against islamic terror targets in the middle east.  A well publicised collateral consequence of these drone strikes is child civilian casualties. EG, kids being killed, regularly.

A high profile attack on a facility for children makes twisted sense in context.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7190 on: December 02, 2015, 03:33:45 pm »

Terrorism isnt about PR.
Which you manipulate through PR. Terrorism for a political cause is very much about PR.

The MO doesn't match either. No explosives, no suicidal confrontation.

And they're saying that a witness saw them flee in a black SUV. And they're inspecting a device at scene, so, I wouldn't rule out terror just yet.

It could be a quick-hit-to-distract-and-then-hit-somewhere-else tactic.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7191 on: December 02, 2015, 03:34:56 pm »

Possibly, but it still doesn't hold water with me. If they're looking to convince "good Muslims" of the righteousness of their cause, this isn't the way to do it.

My instincts still say this is domestic and not really with a political agenda. I'd think either somehow tied to the facility (disgruntled employee, parent, former patient, etc.) or just a whackjob like the kid in Newtown that just wanted to kill a lot of the most defenseless people possible.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7192 on: December 02, 2015, 03:36:40 pm »

That wouldnt explain multiple shooters unless the facility had been doing something truly odious for years, and had several like minded, now adult, victims seeking to destroy it.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7193 on: December 02, 2015, 03:38:47 pm »

Multiple shooters still hasn't been confirmed. Neither has the "fleeing in a black SUV" bit. Latest report I heard indicated the shooter was barricaded in an office.

We're just going to have to sit back and wait for more details. THEN we can proceed to wildly speculate and print our own politics onto the situation.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7194 on: December 02, 2015, 03:39:24 pm »

agreed.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7195 on: December 02, 2015, 03:40:43 pm »

Additional information indicates it's not particularly a center for children but rather general populace. Also, less medical center and more of a social services type facility.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7196 on: December 02, 2015, 03:44:59 pm »

Multiple shooters still hasn't been confirmed. Neither has the "fleeing in a black SUV" bit. Latest report I heard indicated the shooter was barricaded in an office.

We're just going to have to sit back and wait for more details. THEN we can proceed to wildly speculate and print our own politics onto the situation.

Agreed as well, things are too chaotic right now.

Also, it's at the Inland Regional Center, which is in the same group as the San Diego Regional Center, so, I don't know. Too little information at this point.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7197 on: December 02, 2015, 03:46:53 pm »

Is this a purely social services facility, or do they offer clinical services?

(could be our own fundie terrorists, given the recent planned parenthood event.)

They have a website, but appears to be DDoSed.
www.inlandrc.org/

likely people wanting to learn about the linic due to the shooting.

They are a subbranch of the department of developmental services, and the DDS says they offer genetic testing and counseling on disabilities in children. Abortion consultation seems a reasonable connection.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 03:52:18 pm by wierd »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7198 on: December 02, 2015, 03:50:18 pm »

Good question. Unknown, but doubtful.

IRC is the largest of 21 non-profit agencies that work with the state of California to provide services for people who have developmental disabilities such as autism, cerebral palsy, and epilepsy. According to the state website, the regional centers diagnose disabilities and assess eligibility for state services at no cost to clients.

Some other services it offers, such as full-time out-of-home placements, come at a cost to parents for children under age 18.

EDIT: All bets may be off regarding motive:
Marybeth Feild of the Inland Regional Center says "the incident is in the conference area" that an outside group was renting Wednesday. She says she is not at the center, which serves people with developmental disabilities and does not know what outside group rented the center.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 03:52:49 pm by RedKing »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7199 on: December 02, 2015, 03:52:34 pm »

Is this a purely social services facility, or do they offer clinical services?

(could be our own fundie terrorists, given the recent planned parenthood event.)

Going from the San Diego Regional Center site (the San Bernardino one is down due to traffic), they do provide general clinical stuff, nothing that is in any way controversial (not reproductive stuff), but the primary functon is social services. Basically anything clinical would be to help people with disabilities.

Abortion consultation seems like a rather big stretch.
Pages: 1 ... 478 479 [480] 481 482 ... 1342