Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 476 477 [478] 479 480 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1545632 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread- Voting Trump/Wallace in '168
« Reply #7155 on: December 01, 2015, 04:07:34 pm »

Trump is more like 'punch-dodge-counterpunch-counterpunchwhiledodgingagain' Either that or emulate Neo of the Matrix movies.

He can't dodge answering the issues forever, since as we've seen in the democratic debate and in the undercard republican debate, the fewer people on stage there are, the more time that can be focused on questions or the moderator drilling the candidate on questions.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 04:10:45 pm by smjjames »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7156 on: December 01, 2015, 04:13:51 pm »

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7157 on: December 01, 2015, 04:17:11 pm »

Rofl Cruz: http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/30/politics/ted-cruz-planned-parenthood-transgendered-leftist-activist/index.html
A google search leads to this page:
http://www.coloradovoters.info/by_number/6010/10372_robert_lewis_dear.html
Which returns a 404.

It's in google's cache, however.

Looking in the list of names:
http://coloradovoters.info/by_name/pages/d140.html
There is no Robert Lewis Dear there.

I guess it's been removed?

I'd sooner assume it's a clerical error than that he's transgender. I think clerical errors are more common.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7158 on: December 01, 2015, 04:19:39 pm »

ferex, the duck or punch approach to addressing issues

I tried googling "duck or punch" but it just showed me recipes for duck punch and games whose names were variations on "duck punch." Bing had similar results but the first page also included one PDF of the fifth chapter of a book which had "Duck or Punch" as the name of the chapter or something, which probably explains what you meant, but TL;DR.

Instead... The first thing that came to mind...

Spoiler: images! (click to show/hide)

What if you want duck AND punch? Why not combine them?
(... There sure are a lot of pictures of plastic/rubber duckies in punch on the Internets)

Heh.

But yeah, it's a bit of metaphorical phrasing used by Adam F. Simon in a pretty notable work on campaigns and elections, built around a rather infamous gubernatorial election in California. The extreme tl;dr is that an effective campaign must avoid (duck) issues which their candidate is not strong on and engage (punch) issues which their candidate excels in. Brown (the democratic challenger) in that campaign was heavily favored, but throughout the run-up to the election Wilson's campaign managed to completely refrain from saying anything on issues where she was strong, while she and her campaign repeatedly engaged on issues which favored Wilson (the republican incumbent who was expected to lose), and in the end Wilson swept the election with 55% of the vote when he had been widely expected to lose badly.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7159 on: December 01, 2015, 04:20:30 pm »

Rofl Cruz: http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/30/politics/ted-cruz-planned-parenthood-transgendered-leftist-activist/index.html
A google search leads to this page:
http://www.coloradovoters.info/by_number/6010/10372_robert_lewis_dear.html
Which returns a 404.

It's in google's cache, however.

Looking in the list of names:
http://coloradovoters.info/by_name/pages/d140.html
There is no Robert Lewis Dear there.

I guess it's been removed?

I'd sooner assume it's a clerical error than that he's transgender. I think clerical errors are more common.

*shrug* The link seems to be more speculation on CNNs part and Cruz could have seen something somewhere or a comment or some rumor or he's making it up to make a point.

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/12/donald-trump-attacks-washington-post-jennifer-rubin-216322

It's only a matter of time before he slips up and manages to insult the disabled again. :P I know it's his usual reprotoire of insults, but he certainlt comes close.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 04:22:31 pm by smjjames »

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7160 on: December 01, 2015, 04:22:58 pm »

Yeah, I was just looking for the thing the Gateway Pundit found. I found it, but only in google's cache.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #7161 on: December 02, 2015, 02:43:36 am »

NY Times has an article on the Republican Leadership. To sum up: The republican leadership is now quietly panicking at the idea of a Trump as Nominee, not only for handing the Presidency away, but potentially giving away the senate as well.

Another Republican strategist in Ohio replied to an email asking about Mr. Trump’s effect in the state by sending a link to a Wikipedia page on the 1964 congressional elections, when Barry Goldwater’s presence atop the Republican ticket led the party to lose 36 House seats.
As for my own analysis, it's hilarious. There is NOTHING they can do. The entire system that they in some cases themselves built is entirely rigged towards making it impossible to stop him. They can't make him quiet. They can't exclude him. They can't starve him of cash. They can't coalesce behind anyone.

I think they are just afraid to, honestly. One of the reasons he is still up is no one, really strong candidate or group has just stood up, said "enough is enough", and destroyed Trump. The only thing that could chastise him would be a sufficiently powerful support base, political campaign, and media machine, and no Republican has been willing so far to risk dive-bombing Trump, since it doesn't seem to go so well for those who have tried partially (who attacked Trump? people low in the polls now. think about it). If Trump really faced a coordinated campaign to discredit him, then, finally, could the sheer amount of evidence of his personal failings be really used effectively.

Thus, the best part of a Trump ticket would be the ENTIRE Democratic Party Apparatus, from national to state to local, turning into a "Death to Trump" rally. They would try and link every single republican who exists to him. In more conservative regions, that might even help, but any place with moderates will just abort en masse. There just exist so many things to discredit him with: flip-flopper, liar, thief, crook, .00001%, bigot, RINO, crypto-liberal, proto-fascist, reactionary, moron, loser, failure, big-wig, clown, bully, etc.; and that isn't even a distorted list, you could legitimately argue every single one of those things (not necessarily true, but serious arguments). There's just no thing he isn't that people don't like, and there's plenty more you could pretend him to be, if only enough effort was put into it. Half-measures won't bring him down. Either he comes down on his own, or in glorious free-fall.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7162 on: December 02, 2015, 02:49:09 am »

That's an interesting take on the situation.  I'm kind of half wondering if this is actually some multi-layered ploy by Trump to depose the Republicans.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7163 on: December 02, 2015, 02:55:56 am »

That's an interesting take on the situation.  I'm kind of half wondering if this is actually some multi-layered ploy by Trump to depose the Republicans.

We're just going to see Trump and Clinton walking down the street one day holding hands as they exchange long protein chains. (Giggity)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7164 on: December 02, 2015, 03:00:27 am »

>:( I dont vote for space mutants.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7165 on: December 02, 2015, 08:14:09 am »

The Apprentice was actually paid for by the Democrats just to set the plans into final motion. Why else would it have been cancelled at such an opportune time?
Even the avatars expire eventually.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7166 on: December 02, 2015, 08:48:38 am »

http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/02/politics/donald-trump-terrorists-families/index.html

Uh, does he even realize that said families could very well be in Europe or even American citizens? His proposal makes negative zero sense since not all of them are Syrian or Iraqi, take the French attackers as an example, most of them were French or Belgian nationals.

Gotta be the most insane proposal yet coming out of his mouth.

Edit: It would be wonderfully ironic if one of his grandkids (hypothetical or otherwise) was recruited by ISIS.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 09:36:16 am by smjjames »

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #7167 on: December 02, 2015, 09:06:38 am »

The Upton Sinclair quote about fascism in America comes to mind.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7168 on: December 02, 2015, 09:21:15 am »

The Upton Sinclair quote about fascism in America comes to mind.
Which?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7169 on: December 02, 2015, 09:44:14 am »

Sinclair Lewis, actually.

From It Can't Happen Here: "But he saw too that in America the struggle was befogged by the fact that the worst Fascists were they who disowned the word 'Fascism' and preached enslavement to Capitalism under the style of Constitutional and Traditional Native American Liberty."

And it's usually simplified to, "When fascism comes to America, it will come wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross."
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 476 477 [478] 479 480 ... 1342