Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 468 469 [470] 471 472 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1547048 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread- Voting Trump/Wallace in '168
« Reply #7035 on: November 30, 2015, 07:41:09 pm »

This is a situation where I would be VERY VERY pleased to be proven wrong.

However, I have seen an alarming amount of support for Trump in the local conservative human pool I have had the pleasure of speaking to. It might just be regional, but I fully expect Trump to have very good numbers in bible-belt states.

At that point, it starts to degrade into a pissing match between partisan political voters-- and the theoretical impact of basic name awareness on disinterested voters.

Most people are NOT investing the energy required to vote responsibly. Keep that in mind.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7036 on: November 30, 2015, 07:43:10 pm »

Seriously, being found in bed with another woman would probably improve Hillary's chances.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7037 on: November 30, 2015, 07:43:50 pm »

I had considered making that quip ^^  but decided it would be in bad taste.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #7038 on: November 30, 2015, 07:46:36 pm »

Which is exactly what I just said--

Completely ignores the collateral consequences of rushing the reforms out on a society that is ill equiped to absorb them.

(For an example of just how dangerous radicalization is, look at the middle east. Once radicalization sets in, it is VERY VERY hard to eradicate. Prevention is the better medicine. Dont just handwave away the consequences of having a pretty non-trivial percentage of your population driven toward the radicalization axis of human behavior. )

You're presenting a choice between radicalizing a small number of people who will do bad things or allowing the continued unjustified suffering of a large number of people over the course of generations.  You're saying progressives choose the former out of ignorance.  I'm saying they choose it out of preference.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7039 on: November 30, 2015, 07:47:50 pm »

I say they choose it out of blind-determination, and a lack of good sense.  Suffering is universal.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #7040 on: November 30, 2015, 07:50:23 pm »

However, I have seen an alarming amount of support for Trump

Yeah I've seen it too.  But visible support doesn't mean a close election or even a competitive one.

Seriously, being found in bed with another woman would probably improve Hillary's chances.

I was referencing
Quote from: Edwin Edwards
The only way I can lose this election is if I'm caught in bed with either a dead girl or a live boy.[/url]
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7041 on: November 30, 2015, 07:52:53 pm »

You are discounting the full spectrum of the consequence of domestic terrorism. Radicalization goes both ways, and once it does, you end up with situations like Isreal VS Palestine.

EG, Domestic terrorist feels that all political options to mitigate "Social decadence" have failed, leaving only the violent paths. So, they elect to use violence. (Clinic bombings, et al.) As they use this violence, they radicalize the opposition-- they see their ideological opponents as violent bastards that the world is better off without, instead of seeing them as desperate people who cannot cope with the new shape of the world. As such, they further put pressure on this demographic, and people whom they view as being part and parcel with it (People who exhibit counter-cultural views, but are not themselves radicalized yet.) This then radicalizes these people, and it festers and festers and festers.

Discounting this cycle of violence as being "less than the consequences of being more tactful" is just straight up ignorant. Sorry Salmon, but it is.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #7042 on: November 30, 2015, 08:09:34 pm »

Discounting this cycle of violence as being "less than the consequences of being more tactful" is just straight up ignorant. Sorry Salmon, but it is.

How do you tactfully say

"We need for you to accept living out your life without basic human rights.  We think you should have these rights, and we have the momentum to make sure you get them... but that would mean actually having to defend them.  Sorry it's just too much."
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7043 on: November 30, 2015, 08:11:30 pm »

I don't know about you, but I haven't heard of any abortion-rights supporters shooting or bombing anything.

By the way, I'd say that if people are being radicalized it's due to the influence of other people, not just because society is changing around them. Someone has to convince them that they should be really, really angry about that change.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7044 on: November 30, 2015, 08:15:59 pm »

Define unjustified suffering.  And while you're at it you'd better explain how someone is being denied basic human rights.  If you cite an example outside of the US I'm going to ignore you, because the UN has no actual power to enforce shit, and if you aren't in a nation that actually guarantees basic human rights you don't have them.

If someone in the US is being denied basic human rights then they have all the tools at their disposal (through our federal government) to have the problem dealt with, they just have to get off their damn asses and do something, instead of whine.

And for the last time STOP TRYING TO SENSATIONILZE THINGS.  It does not help your cause.  It does not fix things.  It just makes people ignore you.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7045 on: November 30, 2015, 08:17:28 pm »

Leadership is about hard choices Salmon.

You dont always get what you want.  Good leadership is often pragmatic, and acknowledging humanity's intrinsic faults is important, especially if your ultimate goal is to minimize total human suffering.

EG, More will suffer in the long term from the continuing cycle of radicalization (the middle east has seen this for CENTURIES. CENTURIES!!) than will suffer from a more realistic pace of social reform. Is waiting 100 years instead of 60 years really that important to you, that you would seriously consider playing chicken with a radicalized populace?

Shadowlord:  Being dismissive is an effective form of social violence. 
http://www.purdue.edu/newsroom/research/2011/110510WilliamsOstracism.html

When you write off a demographic like that, you ostracize them, and it has real consequences. You dont have to use physical violence; social violence is just as damaging.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7046 on: November 30, 2015, 08:18:25 pm »

e: You know what? Fuck them. If they want to engage in terrorism because people are getting equal rights and treatment before the law, we'll treat them like terrorists. You are literally saying that we should bow to terrorists and radicals because it's easier that way. Go back to 1930s Britain please.

I don't know about you, but I haven't heard of any abortion-rights supporters shooting or bombing anything.

By the way, I'd say that if people are being radicalized it's due to the influence of other people, not just because society is changing around them. Someone has to convince them that they should be really, really angry about that change.
Note: That MIC piece explicitly pointed out the fetus organ hoax as the impetus for the new wave of anti-choice terrorism, and that's a fairly accurate assessment of the situation. It took a right-wing think tank running a propaganda campaign to stir things back up.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 08:20:10 pm by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7047 on: November 30, 2015, 08:20:05 pm »

The question you are ignoring though FD, is why the think tank exists to begin with.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7048 on: November 30, 2015, 08:20:55 pm »

Ignoring? It's pretty blatant: these people continue because they are allowed to continue. See above re: appeasement.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7049 on: November 30, 2015, 08:21:33 pm »

I see you are radicalized. Fancy that.

(As I linked to earlier, social ostracism has very real, very deep consequences on the human psyche. Using it as a response to physical violence does not help those people, and only makes the problem worse in the long run. Once you make the leap from "That's a person who has a problem" to "Those people only exist because we tolerate it, (implying a strict policy of intolerance is warranted)", you have crossed into the radical axis of human thought.)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 08:24:11 pm by wierd »
Pages: 1 ... 468 469 [470] 471 472 ... 1342