Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 466 467 [468] 469 470 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1547307 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread- Voting Trump/Wallace in '168
« Reply #7005 on: November 29, 2015, 11:38:26 pm »

You should probably use something you can thoroughly explain. If you can't explain it, you probably don't understand it, and that makes any conclusion you draw from it invalid.

I generally find that the ease of explanation is negatively correlated with the validity of the conclusions.

well thought out argument to win if you're going to debate on B12.

Probably why I've never won an argument.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7006 on: November 29, 2015, 11:44:30 pm »

Not so much ease as clarity, methinks? That initial math-segue post could really have used a key labeling the variables, ferex...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #7007 on: November 29, 2015, 11:49:36 pm »

My goal was to write fewer words, not more.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7008 on: November 29, 2015, 11:50:45 pm »

I generally find that the ease of explanation is negatively correlated with the validity of the conclusions.
Not by Occam's arse razor

If you can't explain it, you probably don't understand it, and that makes any conclusion you draw from it invalid. What you're doing is fitting the data into your answers via obfuscation and the logical fallacy of appealing to emotion. which is highly intellectually dishonest, and not the way data works. We aren't dumb people here, and it takes a very convincing, well thought out argument to win if you're going to debate on B12.
Probably why I've never won an argument.
Who cares about winning it's about trying, actually giving a case for what you believe in

My goal was to write fewer words, not more.
There's being laconic and there's being cryptic

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #7009 on: November 29, 2015, 11:54:48 pm »

shrugs
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7010 on: November 29, 2015, 11:58:42 pm »

[/quote]
Occam's razor is that the theory with the fewest assumptions is more likely correct. Ease of explanation has nothing to do with it.

For example, "aliens did it" is easier to explain, but has more assumptions that "humans used rope and ramps and pulleys to *yada yada yada*"
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7011 on: November 30, 2015, 12:04:24 am »

Occam's razor is that the theory with the fewest assumptions is more likely correct. Ease of explanation has nothing to do with it.

For example, "aliens did it" is easier to explain, but has more assumptions that "humans used rope and ramps and pulleys to *yada yada yada*"
[/quote]

But "aliens did it" has fewer assumptions. Aliens exist. They did it. Only 2. The 2nd has at least 4. It was humans. They had ropes. They had ramps. They had pulleys.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7012 on: November 30, 2015, 12:06:01 am »

What the bloody hell are you talking about, "aliens did it" is not easy to explain, it's easy to say. You'd have to explain the mechanics of how the aliens did it, who they are, what they were doing here and so on. You'd have to explain the entire existence of an extraterrestial civilization before you even start explaining how they did "it." "Humans did it" is just as easy as saying but far easier to explain, and something only the laziest
shrugs
Laziest would rather not do

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7013 on: November 30, 2015, 12:07:42 am »

What the bloody hell are you talking about, "aliens did it" is not easy to explain, it's easy to say. You'd have to explain the mechanics of how the aliens did it, who they are, what they were doing here and so on. You'd have to explain the entire existence of an extraterrestial civilization before you even start explaining how they did "it." "Humans did it" is just as easy as saying but far easier to explain, and something only the laziest
shrugs
Laziest would rather not do
nevermind.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 12:15:50 am by origamiscienceguy »
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #7014 on: November 30, 2015, 02:08:43 am »

your ability to explain something, but not the ease of explaining it, correlates strongly with your understanding of it

i believe physicists understand relativity because they are capable of explaining how it applies to various situations (and moreover they can train new physicists), and their explanations seem generally consistent and sound, but i certainly lack the ability to explain it and it's quite difficult to do so by most accounts

the verity of an explanation varies independently with the ease of explaining it, though, in my experience

anyone who tells you differently is a liar, a demagogue, or a salesperson

or some other profession, i guess
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7015 on: November 30, 2015, 02:22:06 am »

One mass shooting by crazy white people is a preventable tragedy, '100' mass shootings by crazy white people is just another statistic.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7016 on: November 30, 2015, 09:43:59 am »

But "aliens did it" has fewer assumptions. Aliens exist. They did it. Only 2. The 2nd has at least 4. It was humans. They had ropes. They had ramps. They had pulleys.
-Aliens exist
-Aliens had awesome technology to get to earth
-Aliens used all that fantastic technology to build things out of stone
-Aliens decided not to come back since

We already know humans had roped and pulleys and ramps. The only assumption is that they built whatever it is were talking about.

Anyway, let's not derail the thread further.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #7017 on: November 30, 2015, 09:55:51 am »

i believe physicists understand relativity because they are capable of explaining how it applies to various situations (and moreover they can train new physicists), and their explanations seem generally consistent and sound, but i certainly lack the ability to explain it and it's quite difficult to do so by most accounts

Physics has it easy because their science is advanced enough that outsiders cant even approach the subjects where the top of the field disagrees.  Whereas in economics really basic questions are still open for debate and new basic questions keep emerging.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7018 on: November 30, 2015, 03:17:14 pm »

Murrica, land of the free, home of Gestapo Jr.  One day, the lad will grow up to be a stellar member of the Secret Police.  Sr would be so proud.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7019 on: November 30, 2015, 03:43:23 pm »

Generally one responds to a working paper with a meta analysis, not the other way around.  ::)

I was trying to parse what this meant and it didn't make sense to me for a while. But I get it now. That maths mumbo-jumbo you posted is the "meta analysis" which trumps what I posted the (working paper). A meta-analysis needs to be grounded in the actual data however. So in other words, your saying your hypothetical / theoretical symbol manipulation exercise trumps the actual data we're discussing? That's pretty silly, since it's the actual data that we are disagreeing on.

I posted evidence from papers that shows that if you take the Bureau of Labor's own data and separate women with no kids from women with kids, then the gender gap completely goes away for childless women: the gender gap is too small to measure if you only consider people without children. That's pretty good evidence that almost all the measurable gender gap comes from the interplay of family vs work, rather than a direct penalty for being a woman. And it's that "direct penalty" that the Paycheck Fairness Act is entirely focused on. In other words, there's an existing theory as to the main cause of the gender pay gap, but there's very little actual data to support that theory, and a detailed look at the numbers actually disputes that employer discrimination is even a measurable component of the overall "78 cents in the dollar" gender gap.

Another example is that I said that if you look at hourly wages then the wage gap narrows to 86%. You dismissed that as straight up bullshit but failed to engage with the actual BLS data when I presented it. That's the equivalent of going "i'm right! you're wrong! not listening!" with your fingers in your ears. In fact, it should be plain common sense that the rate will be more equal if you exclude confounding factors (differences in weeks worked per year, differences in hour worked per week).

Well, you turn around and say at one point "your missing out all the hidden discrimination variables". Well, how do you know the hidden variables all fall on the "sexist" side? The non-hidden variables we can look at don't really support such a bias, so the existence of a significant trend in that direction in the hidden variables is entirely hypothetical. Maybe those variables skew the other way. For instance, single women with no kids outearn single men with no kids by a full 8%, so it's entirely possible for some hidden variables we haven't yet looked for to be in favor of women some of the time (in that case, driven by the higher college graduation rates for women).
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 04:05:25 pm by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 466 467 [468] 469 470 ... 1342