Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 462 463 [464] 465 466 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1547875 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread- Voting Trump/Wallace in '168
« Reply #6945 on: November 29, 2015, 02:43:39 pm »

We hit max mass shooting fatigue years ago.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6946 on: November 29, 2015, 02:45:03 pm »

RedKing, just because we're not talking about something ABSOLUTELY EVERYWHERE, doesn't mean that people are completely ignoring something.
This is not the Domestic Terrorist Incidents thread.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6947 on: November 29, 2015, 02:45:45 pm »

Point taken. Sayonara.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6948 on: November 29, 2015, 03:03:57 pm »

"Bernie Reagan Hussein Hussein Hussein Rodham Clinton Sanders Jr."

You know who to vote in 2024!

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6949 on: November 29, 2015, 03:07:09 pm »

Sounds like a new thread title to me.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6950 on: November 29, 2015, 03:08:17 pm »

Funny thing is, when leftists talk about domestic terrorism, school shootings, &c. we tend to be ignored or shouted down because we try to solve the problem.

At this point I don't even give a damn any more, being randomly killed by some lunatic is just part of the cost of living in America these days since all the criminals and right-wing paranoid assholes don't want to prevent people from collecting free guns at every neighborhood Walmart. I'm emotionally deadened to this shit because it's the same goddamn thing every time: someone with an agenda or poor emotional control shoots or bombs people, everyone and their uncle turns it into political fodder, the media further reinforces the behavioral patterns that encourage people to do it, and nothing meaningful is done to prevent future incidents.  ::)

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6951 on: November 29, 2015, 03:24:08 pm »

And it gets talked about for days because they can't be bothered to actually go find more news when they can just continue to repeat themselves 24/7 until more dramatic bad things happen. Or a hurricane.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #6952 on: November 29, 2015, 03:41:21 pm »

MSH said it, and I will, too. 

Mass shootings just aren't very high on my list of things to care about.  Their actual scale as a problem is much lower than their shock value.  I'm much more likely to be killed by stress or poverty-related issues, slow poisoning by food industry corruption, drunk drivers, environmental disasters, police, etc.  It just doesn't seem worth 1/10 of the noise people make about it.  If I care at all, it's because of the way the police state uses these things as fuel, and the racist double-standards that are so obvious and have been repeated so many times that there's no point anymore, at least not in places like B12.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6953 on: November 29, 2015, 03:45:10 pm »

Yeah, I think some perspective is needed here. It's hardly part of being an American to be shot by a domestic terrorist, but endlessly hearing about them certainly is. Do you know how many people were actually killed in incidents labeled "mass shootings" last year? 387, and 1,036 wounded. I had to count these out by hand because they couldn't be assed to tally them, so I may be a bit off, but even adding or subtracting the 20 or 30 I lost track of that is tiny drop in a very big bucket. Further, most of those aren't exactly what you'd call "domestic terrorist incidents." I'm looking through the sources, and I'm seeing  that plenty of them are gang related, and still more are incidents where an altercation at a bar in a terrible neighborhood of some big city led to one person shooting at another, and hitting bystanders in the process. Shitty yeah, but the image of Postal Dude some of y'all seem to have is newsworthy for a reason, and "stopping people collecting free guns at every neighborhood Walmart" is just as unproductive a chain of thought as "give literally everyone a .44."
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6954 on: November 29, 2015, 04:02:38 pm »

Note that I didn't specify "domestic terrorist" or "shot". Random lunatic who decides that a bit of material wealth is more valuable than a human life, random lunatic who decides that being ten minutes less late is more valuable than a human life, random lunatic with a badge who decides that his (possibly racist) paranoia is more important than a human life, et-fuckin'-cetera.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #6955 on: November 29, 2015, 04:09:26 pm »

People's biggest fear isn't harm or even death- it's being powerless in the face of a threat.

Guns don't prevent shootings, but having a gun means that you feel empowered.

It's the same thing with the fear of airplanes (even though crashes are extremely rare you can't do anything about them), fear of immunizations ("I should be able to choose how my child gets treated), and fear of immirgrants ("I'm going to be disenfranchised! There will be too many of them!").
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6956 on: November 29, 2015, 04:25:11 pm »

Note that I didn't specify "domestic terrorist" or "shot".

You can see where I got the impression:

Funny thing is, when leftists talk about domestic terrorism, school shootings, &c.
...someone with an agenda or poor emotional control shoots or bombs people  ::)

We seem to at least agree on one thing though. This here,

Random lunatic who decides that a bit of material wealth is more valuable than a human life, random lunatic who decides that being ten minutes less late is more valuable than a human life, random lunatic with a badge who decides that his (possibly racist) paranoia is more important than a human life, et-fuckin'-cetera.

is the problem that needs addressing. Maybe America just has too many people to avoid having at least some angry lunatics or desperate criminals, but the solution to the problems those folks cause is not going to be found in restricting the average, well adjusted person's constitutional rights. Nobody becomes a mugger for shits and giggles.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6957 on: November 29, 2015, 04:36:41 pm »

Okay...
Based on outward appearances it seems Hillary actually believes what she says and what she says has become popular while Bernie says whatever's popular.
Bernie is a lot like Jesus.  I like the guy, his fans are super annoying.
Hillary 10 years ago was blathering on about the sanctity of traditional marriage and now blathers on about the current year and equality for lgbt

Literally just saying whatever's popular at the time

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6958 on: November 29, 2015, 04:45:44 pm »

Maybe America just has too many people to avoid having at least some angry lunatics or desperate criminals, but the solution to the problems those folks cause is not going to be found in restricting the average, well adjusted person's constitutional rights. Nobody becomes a mugger for shits and giggles.
*shrugs* And implementing actual solutions isn't going to happen. We're entirely aware enough of the country gives less than zero fucks about improving on the conditions (shit mental health care, shit law enforcement system, shit social safety nets, to name some) that are the primary preventable aspect of stuff like the problems in question that nothing is going to happen to better things -- we have an entire fucking political party largely dedicated to making all that worse, and large chunks of the other one happily contributing. Say what you will about gun control et al, but at least there's something of a party divide there instead of all sides largely joining in to ruin everything further.

Though @RK, despite how little it's been mentioned here, due to whatever reason, it's probably an actually good sign a PP clinic getting shot up made the news at all. Those things and similar services have been drawing gunfire and bombings for decades now, and a lot of time it barely even blips the media radar. There's a hell of a lot of fatigue, but that there's even meaningful attention at all this time is almost a good sign regarding public sentiment, imo.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6959 on: November 29, 2015, 04:50:55 pm »

I may suppose, that  chances of getting stabbed by lunatic with knife in no guns zone are not much different from chance of getting shot by lunatic with gun in Gunlandia.

Pages: 1 ... 462 463 [464] 465 466 ... 1342