Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 458 459 [460] 461 462 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1548567 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread- Voting Trump/Wallace in '168
« Reply #6886 on: November 26, 2015, 09:57:21 pm »

Some angels are incomprehensible monsters, some just appear as people. I don't think any angels in the bible appear as humans with wings though.

For good descriptions, you need Ezekiel and the apocryphal book of Enoch and pals.

IIRC, you have several kinds of angel.

1) Watchers. These are basically gigantic spiritual beings that resemble humans. These are what eventually became fallen angels, et.
2) Seraphim. These are the scary looking things with all the freaky faces.
3) Ishim, These are things like the guardian angels and the like.

etc.

But only some of these beings are described as having wings. Some are hardly humanoid at all, others are very much human like.  All are "angels."

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6887 on: November 26, 2015, 11:12:18 pm »

There's a reason why the traditional angelic greeting for men is some form of "don't be afraid."
Even the avatars expire eventually.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6888 on: November 27, 2015, 12:59:54 am »

The cherubim had the 4 faces. And the whole weird thing with the interlocking-rotating-wheels thing that has artists scratching their heads. If you want to read about them, it is the first chapter in Ezekiel.

The seraphim have wings covering their face.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6889 on: November 27, 2015, 01:03:58 am »

Sometimes it's "don't worship me" instead, when the human reacts by throwing themselves to the ground in terrified prostration.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #6890 on: November 27, 2015, 02:15:01 am »

There's a reason why the traditional angelic greeting for men is some form of "don't be afraid."
I don't understand why we are discussing nightmarish angels in the Freedom Thread, but the traditional greeting was/is
"Fear Not."

Apparently we discussed Trump at one point. While his wig is unpleasant, I think you are all really going too far into comparing it to biblical scripture. In any case, I think we all need to take a chill pill. Trump is just a liar. He's a very good one, and he does it naturally and fluently, something he no doubt picked up in my state's real estate business. We as a nation have had other political figures who've been the same throughout american history (Nixon: "Who are you going to believe, me, or your own lying eyes?").

Some people forget how easy it is to lie when you are a politician. It generally takes the politicians+political world+media some time to disseminate the actual truth on anything (or the non-truth that everyone nonetheless believes), so you can rather easily screw with it as Trump, and to a much lesser extent, everyone else, has. It's when you make one big lie/misspoken comment, and then acknowledge it, that you have a huge problem. The issue is, the bigger and more obvious the contradiction, the faster reality comes screeching back. But Trump has proven deft at handling that issue so far by constantly moving on to a new thing. If he ever stops, reality will spend about a week getting its bearings, and then nail him hard. Until then, it's fun to watch.
Sometimes it's "don't worship me" instead, when the human reacts by throwing themselves to the ground in terrified prostration.
I, too, my throw myself to the ground in terrified prostration if glowing monsters

Now I'm going to go figure out why every single invasion of Israel on Google Images by the forces of "Gog" and "Magog" includes Russia, sometimes exclusively, even when many (but not all) clearly seem to be focused on Islam as the primary instigator.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6891 on: November 27, 2015, 02:35:23 am »

There's some passage that details Israel being under threat from "the northern kingdom", this was popularized as referring to Russia in one premillenialist tract or another and spread wildly. I want to say it was Tim Laythe's doing but I'm not certain.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6892 on: November 27, 2015, 02:47:07 am »

Rus didn't even exist until the 800s, and Russia until the 1500s...
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6893 on: November 27, 2015, 02:49:02 am »

Premillenialist theories consider references to Israel all having to do with the modern Israel, as their central thesis is that the prophecies of Revelation exist in the future.
No Gods, No Masters.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #6894 on: November 27, 2015, 06:24:58 am »

Trump is just a liar.

Kevin Drum made a good point on the subject of lying vis-a-vis Trump recently.

There's a legal term applied to advertising called "puffery." For example, if Coca-Cola says Coke is the best-tasting soda in the world, that's just puffery...The same concept applies to politics. Presidential candidates always...But Donald Trump is different. Sure, his picture is probably in the dictionary next to the word "puffery," but he also tosses out wild howlers with a con man's breezy assurance and tells flat-out lies as a matter of routine.

I think this concept of puffery vs lying is very important with politics.  People tend to try to justify lies by saying the other side is lying without talking about what kinds of lies.  But rarely are things symmetrical.  People justify the lies by pointing to the puffery.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6895 on: November 27, 2015, 10:18:52 am »

just wish that Trump would tell everybody what his brilliant tax plan is. The one he says everybody loves.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6896 on: November 27, 2015, 10:23:22 am »

It'll probably be something ridiculously trump like get canada to pay for the taxes.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6897 on: November 27, 2015, 10:25:42 am »

naaaah, if it was that brilliant, he would be gloating about it.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #6898 on: November 27, 2015, 12:32:49 pm »

Tax poverty.  That way no one would be poor enough to leech off the government.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6899 on: November 27, 2015, 12:33:56 pm »

And then let people pay off their tax debt by working for others. Unemployment: solved.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 458 459 [460] 461 462 ... 1342