Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 452 453 [454] 455 456 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1549271 times)

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread- Voting Trump/Wallace in '168
« Reply #6795 on: November 23, 2015, 07:10:35 pm »

We could already tell he was trying to become the American Hitler, so, really, is that any surprise?
That's approximately as accurate as claiming that Hillary is trying to become the American Stalin, i.e. not at all. No one is talking about work camps or gas chambers, now drop the hyperbole.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6796 on: November 23, 2015, 07:11:19 pm »

Funny, I was just about to say that the far left only gets serious traction when the far right takes a country running a budget surplus and drives it into trillions of dollars of debt while embroiling it in wars started under false pretenses.
--
So did you bother reading the piece or were you too busy making false claims of your own?

You may not agree with MoJo's political leanings, but they're hardly a gossip rag.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6797 on: November 23, 2015, 07:14:19 pm »

Funny, I was just about to say that the far left only gets serious traction when the far right takes a country running a budget surplus and drives it into trillions of dollars of debt while embroiling it in wars started under false pretenses.
--
So did you bother reading the piece or were you too busy making false claims of your own?

You may not agree with MoJo's political leanings, but they're hardly a gossip rag.
They're worse than a gossip rag, they post blatant lies about things and people they disagree with and pass it off as actual news, and a U.S. judge recently spent a full three pages of the verdict of a civil suit bashing them for being shit, although they did win the suit.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 07:21:38 pm by Morrigi »
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6798 on: November 23, 2015, 07:22:32 pm »

We could already tell he was trying to become the American Hitler, so, really, is that any surprise?
That's approximately as accurate as claiming that Hillary is trying to become the American Stalin, i.e. not at all. No one is talking about work camps or gas chambers, now drop the hyperbole.

No hyperbole. Hitler didn't start with work camps or gas chambers either.

P.S. I read that part of that judgement you were referring to. I don't disagree with it, but the fault lies with both sides, not just the "liberal" media like Mother Jones.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6799 on: November 23, 2015, 07:28:52 pm »

No hyperbole. Hitler didn't start with work camps or gas chambers either.

P.S. I read that part of that judgement you were referring to. I don't disagree with it, but the fault lies with both sides, not just the "liberal" media like Mother Jones.
I never denied that it didn't lies with both sides, but MotherJones, Jezebel, and Rolling Stone are the worst of the worst. FOX, MSNBC, and CNN are also all terrible, and Breitbart is quite biased and is fond of clickbait headlines but resorts to blatant lies only rarely. Also, since when does some idiot in charge of a politician's twitter account making a mistake prove that the politician himself is a Nazi? It is hyperbole.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 07:32:47 pm by Morrigi »

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6800 on: November 23, 2015, 07:43:09 pm »

He's Donald Trump, do you really think he wouldn't fire them the first time they did something he didn't like?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6801 on: November 23, 2015, 07:45:52 pm »

He's Donald Trump, do you really think he wouldn't fire them the first time they did something he didn't like?
How do we know he didn't?  Do we know which punch-clock intern or volunteer telecommuting from behind a desk in a basement somewhere in Greater Americana happened to make this particular tweet, so that we can see for ourselves if this person was sacked?  He may, but if he didn't make the tweet, he's at a bare minimum decided it's better to keep his head down than disavow it and be called a liar (again). 

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6802 on: November 23, 2015, 07:49:15 pm »

That's a good point.  :P

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6803 on: November 23, 2015, 07:50:26 pm »

Well I thought I'd seen the best of Trump but the last few days have really taken the cake.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6804 on: November 23, 2015, 07:52:50 pm »

Actually, I think it'd be kinda hilarious if it was actually a closet Democrat on his campaign team, sneaking this kind of stuff in to undermine his campaign.  For that matter, what if his entire campaign team was actually comprised of Democrats, all of them just egging him on from one gaffe to another and quietly wondering why their carefully engineered plots keep backfiring in a sort of Blackadder-esque comedy of errors. 

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6805 on: November 23, 2015, 07:54:21 pm »

You're a bit late, the conspiracy theory is that Donald Trump's extreme liberalism in the 90's and early 2000's is his legit belief and that he's a deep cover operative ensuring the victory of the Democrats.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6806 on: November 23, 2015, 08:16:26 pm »

Eh, I think Margaret Thatcher would be a much better comparison.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #6807 on: November 23, 2015, 08:28:45 pm »

Motherjones? Might as well link Gawker while you're at it.

Kevin Drum does excellent work supported by the facts.  When he has an opinion, he states it as an opinion.  He has a political leaning that he doesn't hide which is why he works for mother jones but I find his musings refreshingly objective compared to the vast majority of journalists.

They're worse than a gossip rag, they post blatant lies about things and people they disagree with and pass it off as actual news, and a U.S. judge recently spent a full three pages of the verdict of a civil suit bashing them for being shit, although they did win the suit.

An excellent example of the kind of ad hominum logic that is why I find Kevin Drums honesty to be such a refreshing change of pace in modern american discourse.

I never denied that it didn't lies with both sides, but MotherJones, Jezebel, and Rolling Stone are the worst of the worst.

What has MotherJones lied about?  Please dont define lie as "disagreed with my political views".

As for RollingStone, yeah, they fucked up.  And worse yet, they admitted their mistake.  You want to be like Fox News where you fuck up and then you stubbornly insist that your shit was true all along.

Well find those WMDs in Syria any day now...
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 08:34:09 pm by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6808 on: November 23, 2015, 09:51:44 pm »

So, did anyone else here watch Colin Powell's presentation to the UN before the Iraq invasion back when it happened? As a clueless American, that presentation was very impressive. I didn't know anything about what Powell was talking about, of course. He sounded quite certain of the truth of what he was saying, although the UN was unmoved. I think a lot of us were angry that they were refusing to see the obvious intel but in restrospect, it was more that we weren't seeing clearly ourselves - we were still outraged over 9/11, and we were told that Saddam was sponsoring Al Qaida terrorists and developing WMD, and we had appeared to have completely routed the Taliban, so it's no surprise most of America was in favor of invading at the time. Colin Powell seemed like a good, honest, trustworthy person, right up until the Bush Administration stopped talking about WMD and started retroactively changing why we invaded. (And when they found degraded chemical weapons from before the Gulf War, hid it until they were out of office and couldn't anymore)

At some point post-invasion, during the insurgency, I read H. Norman Schwartzkopf's autobiography, where he predicted what would have happened if we had invaded and knocked off Saddam during the first Gulf War. His prediction was remarkably similar to what was happening then with the insurgency. It made me wonder why Rumsfeld was so certain of success, especially when this prediction was over a decade old and so accurate. Surely he had people who could have seen the same thing coming?

Anyways, I haven't voted for a Republican since, although I still pay attention to what they're saying, because it seems important.

I don't particularly like Hillary Clinton either, but attacking her for her email server is the dumbest thing ever. So she chose to not use the incredibly slow and insecure state department email system, and instead used a private email server, and at some point started paying a company to host it and keep it well-secured. There's no way it could be less secure than the state department's. Hell, the smart thing to do would have been to move everyone to accounts like that. That company (and I'm sure others) actually knows what it's doing, and has to be accountable to its customers. I bet it'd be cheaper than the state department's system, too. (Of course, there are plenty of tech companies for whom security isn't important, because they think "security doesn't sell.")

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6809 on: November 23, 2015, 10:00:51 pm »

I thought the state department email system was supposed to be secure? But yeah, the republicans just keep endlessly trying to nail her on something when they aren't succeeding.
Pages: 1 ... 452 453 [454] 455 456 ... 1342