Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 447 448 [449] 450 451 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1549722 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread- Voting Trump/Wallace in '168
« Reply #6720 on: November 20, 2015, 06:06:03 pm »

Because anyone who doesn't fall into lockstep is The Enemy.

Honestly, though, I count myself lucky that I did my Bachelor's where I did. Evangelists haranguing you as you walk to class is infinitely better than SJWs doing the same, because the former don't try to ruin your life if you laugh at, annoy, or offend them. I've had meaningful, rational arguments with baptists trying to convert me in the middle of public areas--granted, we had wildly divergent views and essentially no chance of convincing the other, but it never devolved into shouting, and they never harassed me in private or tried to make other people dislike me.

So yeah. I, as an atheist, have had better and more productive arguments with evangelical Christians in the Southern U.S. than I ever have with SJWs.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6721 on: November 20, 2015, 06:09:31 pm »

Whoo-ee.
That's just sad.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6722 on: November 20, 2015, 06:14:00 pm »

Not sure whether I should be thinking of SJWs as Social Justice Wankers rather than Social Justice Workers......

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6723 on: November 20, 2015, 06:17:28 pm »

I was actually told by one of my professors that if you don't support the Mizzou protesters in solidarity then you are a racist, because neutrality is the same as supporting oppressors.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6724 on: November 20, 2015, 06:18:19 pm »

I don't think he quite understands how neutrality works.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6725 on: November 20, 2015, 06:21:52 pm »

Yeah, those big protests for stupid reasons aren't *really* happening, I'm sure.
If there's actually been numerous big ones happening, no, I haven't exactly noticed, especially not ones for "stupid reasons". Even the yale shit that was linked involved a damn small portion of the campus numbers (and the apparently un-cited "hundreds" mentioned is exactly what I was talking about), and you can pretty much lay a clean bet most of that was just bored kids stirring shit, just like most campus protests are.

We've had large student protests populated by a lot of people with sincere (misguided or otherwise) investment in the past. Most of the stuff happening nowadays... isn't that.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6726 on: November 20, 2015, 06:23:39 pm »

I don't think he quite understands how neutrality works.
In this sort of critical theory rhetoric, you rather quickly get to the point where you divide the world into a dichotomous status quo/oppression and change/liberation. And liberation is something that, if you are a part of the oppressed, you either support or have internalized hatred against, while if you aren't you either stand in silent nonjudgmental solidarity or are an oppressor.

Oh, and violence is ok, in fact every measure to throw off oppression is always ok.

Dogma by another name is just as sour.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6727 on: November 20, 2015, 07:18:22 pm »

Aha, the train has even come to places local for me. Just saw on local news that UofL's president had to apologize in public and on television because some staff dressed in sombreros and ponchos during Halloween and a picture got posted to FB, followed by predictable shrieks of protest.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6728 on: November 20, 2015, 09:31:39 pm »

I'm curious how many of these dimwits have kanji tatooes.

CULTURAL APPROPRIATION! COMMENCE THE SHUNNING

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6729 on: November 21, 2015, 03:51:17 am »

The Republicans aren't the only ones being annoyingly hateful and irrational, either. Apparently there's also an epidemic of illogic on college campuses and so on. http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/11/the-new-intolerance-of-student-activism-at-yale/414810/

(I would love to know where it's coming from, because there was nothing like it 15 years ago, as far as I noticed.)
It's perfectly expectable1 behaviour for rich and privileged kiddies with warped notions of social justice:
  • Being able to attend an Ivy-League undergraduate holiday resort/kindergarten is a huge privilege.
  • Privilege is bad and you should feel bad.
  • You have to reject and fight your privilege to avoid feeling like a bad person.
In other words: your self-worth as a person is tied to your social status,2 but feeling superior to those who don't have a chance to attend an elite university is pure evil.3 Therefore, if you want to have your cake and eat it---that is, to continue enjoying the luxurious university life without distracting guilt---you have to feel oppressed at any cost, out of sheer solidarity for the oppressed masses.

It's pretty sad and certainly annoying as bloody hell, but unlike often claimed in certain circles4, most of these kids have no ulterior motive besides ordinary teenage susceptibility to peer pressure and the dominant ideology. As Jesus Christ Karl Marx wisely said: "Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they do."

1. although unacceptable.
2. The Murrrrrican Universally-Human Way.
3. Christian charity and middle-class ressentiment meets guilt-tripping internet callout culture.
4. where the Happy Merchants roam.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6730 on: November 21, 2015, 05:02:01 am »

My uni's had a protest about Mizzou this week, and they stormed two of our biggest lecture halls, interrupting a couple of midterms. I'm all for Black Lives Matter, but I think that interrupting someone else's midterm isn't cool.

'Course, I'm an upper-middle class straight cishet white man without dyed hair or piercings, so I don't really get to have an opinion on these issues. :/

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6731 on: November 21, 2015, 05:05:52 am »

I dunno, it's not like interrupting something is the end of the world. What happened in Missouri anyway?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6732 on: November 21, 2015, 05:56:20 am »

But it's a dick move, since they're making lots of people re-take the exam, they're making the prof design another set of questions, they're making the tutors oversee another exam... It produces a lot of collateral damage for very little gain. Interrupting an ordinary lecture would've been preferrable, though not good either of course.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6733 on: November 21, 2015, 06:08:38 am »

Oh, I though they interrupted it for a while, not forced everyone to take it again.

Also, not really a fan of your new signature.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6734 on: November 21, 2015, 09:40:41 am »

It was mostly a gut reaction... I was gonna change it back anyway, might as well do it now.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.
Pages: 1 ... 447 448 [449] 450 451 ... 1342