Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 408 409 [410] 411 412 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1549097 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread- Voting Trump/Wallace in '168
« Reply #6135 on: November 09, 2015, 11:23:37 am »

Well the only problem I see with it is apparently Obama wants to literally take social security money away from those of us who've been forced to pay into it for X amount of years and throw it at the feet of anyone who feels like hopping over the border. Also he apparently wants to give them free housing, free healthcare (as in not Obamacare because THAT isn't anywhere close to free) and a bunch of other benefits.

Fun fact, they pay more into the system then they get out, unlike, for instance, you.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6136 on: November 09, 2015, 11:29:26 am »

Someone call an ambulance, 'cause we have a third degree burn here.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6137 on: November 09, 2015, 11:32:09 am »

Well the only problem I see with it is apparently Obama wants to literally take social security money away from those of us who've been forced to pay into it for X amount of years and throw it at the feet of anyone who feels like hopping over the border. Also he apparently wants to give them free housing, free healthcare (as in not Obamacare because THAT isn't anywhere close to free) and a bunch of other benefits.

Fun fact, they pay more into the system then they get out, unlike, for instance, you.

Do you mind giving some numbers for this?
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6138 on: November 09, 2015, 11:44:41 am »

Not that I agree with BFEL's statement (but I would rather argue that being an illegal immigrant keeps you from bring able to properly being able to contribute to social security systems and other tax stuff), but could you explain how? I am under the impression that it isn't possible to, for example, have a legal, taxed, job while you are in the US illegally. Is that wrong?
Love, scriver~

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #6139 on: November 09, 2015, 12:05:47 pm »

Half of illegal immigrants in America are paying income tax. I'm not sure exactly how it's done, but it seems easier than getting benefits. The government is apparently a lot less picky when you're giving them money. Also, even if you're getting paid under the table, you're paying taxes to spend your money.

Social security in particular receives $12 billion a year from illegal immigrants. This is actually significantly helping to keep social security going.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #6140 on: November 09, 2015, 12:12:57 pm »

Sales tax is a thing, and my understanding is that businesses that are hiring illegal immigrants under the table will sometimes still pay taxes as though they were legitimate employees in order to keep the IRS off their asses. It'd probably look pretty fishy if you insisted all your employees elected to do no tax withholding, and yet nobody files tax returns with your employer code. And since an illegal immigrant can't file a tax return or claim benefits, no refunds ever get paid out. Haven't got a hard source on that, though, so take it with a grain of salt.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6141 on: November 09, 2015, 12:17:33 pm »

I guess it makes sense on a level. Sales tax too, of course.
Love, scriver~

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6142 on: November 09, 2015, 12:36:46 pm »

Taxation ... without representation. Wasn't some important war fought over that? Wasn't some country super smug about how that was a really important thing to fight about? :V
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6143 on: November 09, 2015, 12:52:03 pm »

Taxation ... without representation. Wasn't some important war fought over that? Wasn't some country super smug about how that was a really important thing to fight about? :V
But that would involve reading history! They're too busy being political to do that.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6144 on: November 09, 2015, 12:58:03 pm »

They would argue that those folks were legally entitled to representation, while these folks aren't.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #6145 on: November 09, 2015, 01:22:06 pm »

Every time you sign up for a job in the US, you provide your social security number.  Although it's simple, most people dont even know you can tell your employer not to deduct your personal social security contributions from your paycheck.  So if you provide a non-existant social security number your deductions are credited to no one.  In addition there is the employer deduction which is levied unless you can demonstate a six figure income through a different job.

Well, think of it this way- there is a substantial number of illegal immigrants that are just Canadian workers who overstayed their visas.

In that case they would have a green card and could recoup their payments to social security.  The 12 billion is from people without a greencard who provide a fraudulent social security number.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #6146 on: November 09, 2015, 01:50:20 pm »

The point is that the number is for the undocumented people, not those who overstayed their visas.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #6147 on: November 09, 2015, 03:54:38 pm »

Are you getting all your news from Fox?
From my mom actually, so probably just as bad :P

Didn't know that they actually managed to get illegals to pay social security, obviously.
But I figured that you guys should see where the general thoughts of the more conservative subset of the population are at.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6148 on: November 09, 2015, 04:05:54 pm »

Are you getting all your news from Fox?
From my mom actually, so probably just as bad :P

Didn't know that they actually managed to get illegals to pay social security, obviously.
But I figured that you guys should see where the general thoughts of the more conservative subset of the population are at.
Well, its not like anyone is convincing them to. 
Its just easier for employers to just take whatever social security numbers they give and pay the taxes off of whatever they are paying em like any other normal employee.  Not the job of the business to check or enforce the validity of those numbers.
As I understand it anyways.  Uncle Sam likes to get his cut.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation
Pages: 1 ... 408 409 [410] 411 412 ... 1342