Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 406 407 [408] 409 410 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1548487 times)

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread- Voting Trump/Wallace in '168
« Reply #6105 on: November 08, 2015, 05:58:03 pm »

I predict someone completely and totally from left field.

Anyone want to give me odds on Clint Eastwood?
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6106 on: November 08, 2015, 06:13:05 pm »

666 to 1, against.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6107 on: November 08, 2015, 06:27:23 pm »

I could believe it, I actually had a Mandela Effect moment regarding Carson, in that I thought he was a fetal surgeon until I met somebody he did brain surgery on.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6108 on: November 08, 2015, 07:34:58 pm »

Mandela Effect
Had to look this up. Apparently, it's when people remember incorrectly but are adamant that they are correct anyway.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #6109 on: November 08, 2015, 07:41:57 pm »

(cleaned out some troll posts, few others caught in the crossfire)
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6110 on: November 08, 2015, 08:38:44 pm »

Oh wow, what did I miss?

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6111 on: November 08, 2015, 08:40:18 pm »

Just Descan posting unsolicited nudes like usual.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6112 on: November 08, 2015, 08:55:25 pm »

The New Yorker on the problems with GOP immigration rhetoric.

The idea of taking away the citizenship birthright for children of undocumented immigrants should by rights be the most scary idea in the whole of this. Because it begs the question "and then what happens after that?" Sure, some of the children might be accepted back as citizens of their parents countries, but what about the ones who are not accepted back? So you end up with a class of stateless people who lack any of the rights of a citizen, and these stateless people will continue to breed. And then, naturally, once people are used to the idea that there are American-born permanent residents who are non-citizens, some politician will naturally say that citizenship is a privilege, not a birthright (because it won't be anymore), and pass a law stripping American-born felons of citizenship like they do right now with voting rights, or how they deport non-US born felons. So, any felons become part of the "non-citizens" class of Americans, and so would their children. And then you say goodbye to democracy, hello fascism.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 08:57:21 pm by Reelya »

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6113 on: November 08, 2015, 08:56:15 pm »

Wait, what?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6114 on: November 08, 2015, 09:03:59 pm »

Wait, what?
Not really. There was a guy trolling around with a Nazi-flavored sockpuppet. Enough said.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6115 on: November 08, 2015, 09:29:15 pm »

The New Yorker on the problems with GOP immigration rhetoric.

The idea of taking away the citizenship birthright for children of undocumented immigrants should by rights be the most scary idea in the whole of this. Because it begs the question "and then what happens after that?" Sure, some of the children might be accepted back as citizens of their parents countries, but what about the ones who are not accepted back? So you end up with a class of stateless people who lack any of the rights of a citizen, and these stateless people will continue to breed. And then, naturally, once people are used to the idea that there are American-born permanent residents who are non-citizens, some politician will naturally say that citizenship is a privilege, not a birthright (because it won't be anymore), and pass a law stripping American-born felons of citizenship like they do right now with voting rights, or how they deport non-US born felons. So, any felons become part of the "non-citizens" class of Americans, and so would their children. And then you say goodbye to democracy, hello fascism.

Except universal suffrage is a relatively new concept. Democracy existed before it. I'm not saying it's the right path, I think it's silly to consider such a thing, but I also think it's silly to think it'll necessarily lead to widespread suffering, at least significantly more than we already have.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6116 on: November 08, 2015, 09:30:39 pm »

Wait, what?
I mean... ... ...
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6117 on: November 08, 2015, 09:31:53 pm »

[OSCILLATES INTERNALLY]

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6118 on: November 08, 2015, 11:19:32 pm »

Except universal suffrage is a relatively new concept. Democracy existed before it. I'm not saying it's the right path, I think it's silly to consider such a thing, but I also think it's silly to think it'll necessarily lead to widespread suffering, at least significantly more than we already have.
AKA Fascism and Democracy aren't mutually exclusive. :P

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6119 on: November 08, 2015, 11:53:22 pm »

Citizenship birthright is not about the vote, that's the least part of it. Read up about people who never got a birth certificate for whatever reason and the difficulties they experience. Generally it's illegal for them to drive or have a job, amonst other things. And that's actually people who nobody actually doubts they were born in that country, they just don't have any paperwork. It's also illegal for you to leave the country (because you can't get a passport without proof of citizenship), so you can't even escape to somewhere else. That's what being a non-citizen is like. Also, can you even own a house if you can't prove you are a citizen? What are the laws on home ownership for illegal immigrants? I'm guessing they cannot own a house, or have a regular bank account. All those things require verified government documents.

Things like the Bill of Rights and constitutional / legal protections tend to only cover citizens. So if you start growing the proportion of non-citizens to be a significant proportion then that's a new class of Untermencsh who have no legal protections, yet no other country to go to, so they're at the mercy of whoever wants to exploit them. And someone always exploits those who are weak. You don't live without your basic "rights" afforded to you by citizenship, so you have no idea how fucked things become for people who don't have them.

There are somewhere between maybe 10-15 million undocumented immigrants right now, and if you took away the automatic citizenship birthright, you'd end up down the track with maybe 20% of the country being stateless individuals not covered by constitutional protections. And I'd hazard a guess those stateless people would be poor, and therefore also have a higher average birthrate than the citizens, so you'd have a situation where the proportion of non-citizens would tend to increase over time. Hence, what I mean by goodbye to modern democracy. It would become akin to Athenian democracy where only a small number of people had basic rights and the rest were a slave caste.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 12:07:05 am by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 406 407 [408] 409 410 ... 1342