Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 391 392 [393] 394 395 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1549691 times)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread- Voting Trump/Wallace in '168
« Reply #5880 on: November 03, 2015, 09:00:44 pm »

even the Senate is realizing how useless they are.

http://www.npr.org/2015/11/03/454368957/freshman-senator-to-his-colleagues-the-people-despise-us-all
He sounds like he wants to change that.
I hope he succeeds.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5881 on: November 03, 2015, 09:01:13 pm »

They're starting to call it with Bevin leading by 8% with 85% of the votes in. RIP Kentucky, maybe our sacrifice will help show the way forward in the presidential race.

Beshear and Grimes are still showing slight leads, so it might not be a complete disaster yet, just 95% of one.

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/11/kentucky-governor-race-matt-bevin-wins-215502

I don't see how losing the Kentucky governorship to the republicans will help show the way forward in the presidential race.

Hey. We are not the deep south, even if it's starting to look that way.

It was actually Mississippi though, my bad.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5882 on: November 03, 2015, 09:02:09 pm »

I think he's saying bevin might completely fail at governing and people will see outsider candidates don't work.

/ he might succeed and trump/carson will get boosts.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5883 on: November 03, 2015, 09:04:56 pm »

I think he's saying bevin might completely fail at governing and people will see outsider candidates don't work.

Uh, *points at Arnold Schwarzenegger and his time as Governator* He was an outsider and did okay.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5884 on: November 03, 2015, 09:05:53 pm »

Uh, *points at Arnold Schwarzenegger and his time as Governator* He was an outsider and did okay.
Yes, but that's ARNOLD SCHWARZENEGGER.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5885 on: November 03, 2015, 09:06:30 pm »

Or more likely, nobody outside of Kentucky will notice one iota what he does. (And most within Kentucky won't really pay attention either.) And my god was voter turnout in Kentucky disappointing. Yet another thing that Australia gets right, compulsory voting.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5886 on: November 03, 2015, 09:06:35 pm »

Ah yes, Ahnold, my favorite governer.

But, I'm saying, from a nationwide standpoint, those are basically the two options.

Or more likely, nobody outside of Kentucky will notice one iota what he does. (And most within Kentucky won't really pay attention either.) And my god was voter turnout in Kentucky disappointing. Yet another thing that Australia gets right, compulsory voting.

compulsory voting is undemocratic. always has been.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 09:08:08 pm by Playergamer »
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5887 on: November 03, 2015, 09:12:01 pm »

Except that compulsory voting won't go over that well here in the US. Having election day be on a weekday doesn't help things of course.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5888 on: November 03, 2015, 09:12:19 pm »

But, I'm saying, from a nationwide standpoint, those are basically the two options.

That's very arguable. Especially since the definition democracy is "a system of government in which all the people of a state or polity ... are involved in making decisions about its affairs, typically by voting to elect representatives to a parliament or similar assembly,"

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5889 on: November 03, 2015, 09:13:05 pm »

Except that compulsory voting won't go over that well here in the US. Having election day be on a weekday doesn't help things of course.
If Election Day was a national holiday...
Sigtext

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #5890 on: November 03, 2015, 09:14:06 pm »

I'm sure if Bevin cuts the Medicaid expansion part of Obamacare (which he has said he will), the hundreds of thousands of people who will lose health insurance will notice. And the many people across the country who are improving their states' healthcare systems based off Kentucky's highly successful one will notice. It does seem likely that few people outside those groups will care.

Our only hope is in the fact that Matt Bevin has also said that he won't cut the Medicaid expansion, so I guess we'll see next year which Matt Bevin was right.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 09:15:46 pm by penguinofhonor »

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5891 on: November 03, 2015, 09:16:24 pm »

That's very arguable. Especially since the definition democracy is "a system of government in which all the people of a state or polity ... are involved in making decisions about its affairs, typically by voting to elect representatives to a parliament or similar assembly,"

That is a remarkably cherry picked definition for democracy.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #5892 on: November 03, 2015, 09:16:41 pm »

If Election Day was a national holiday...
S'always been one of the more baldfacedly screwed up parts of our political system that it isn't, really. At some point in the past, someone thought that was a good idea, and through some arcane bumbuggery the rampant stupidity of that hasn't been corrected since.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5893 on: November 03, 2015, 09:17:02 pm »

In the US most areas have initiated an early or absentee voting system. Here, for a week beforehand the polls are open and you can go any time between, I believe 7 am and 7pm. Also all states have some sort of absentee vote system with most of them not even requiring an excuse, just a request for a ballot to be mailed to you to fill out.

I'm sure if Bevin cuts the Medicaid expansion part of Obamacare (which he has said he will), the hundreds of thousands of people who will lose health insurance will notice. And the many people across the country who are improving their states' healthcare systems based off Kentucky's highly successful one will notice. It does seem likely that few people outside those groups will care.

Our only hope is in the fact that Matt Bevin has also said that he won't cut the Medicaid expansion, so I guess we'll see next year which Matt Bevin was right.

Very few people are even aware that Kentucky is the shining example of Obamacare works. I've been told a few times over the past couple of years and I'm still surprised every time I hear it.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5894 on: November 03, 2015, 09:18:38 pm »

voting is a right, not a duty. Both the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and the UN’s International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights refer to people’s rights to “freely chosen representatives”. You say that like "none of the above" or "I don't care" are not opinions. If people who are completely indifferent are forced to choose a candidate, they will likely just choose a name they recognize, instead of someone they agree with. If you force them to go to the polling place, and give them the option to say "None of the above" then you're forcing people to go somewhere, just to say they were there.

Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 391 392 [393] 394 395 ... 1342