Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 384 385 [386] 387 388 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1549036 times)

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread- Voting Trump/Wallace in '168
« Reply #5775 on: October 29, 2015, 09:33:11 pm »

Yeah but he got that by agreeing to 1 trillion years for The Donald and 79 years for the rest of us.
Well, that's pretty impressive, 993 billion net gain of aggregate lifespan.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #5776 on: October 29, 2015, 09:47:11 pm »

because this is the de facto general us thread because we don't actually have one for some reason I'm going to put this here.
http://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2015/10/28/452540839/children-get-married-in-the-u-s-too-15girls
Wanna' say the youngest still on the books as legal is 14? Something like that. Forget which state(s) it is. Law books haven't exactly been hiding that marriage can occur below the age of consent, heh.

Parental consent part is probably the most morbidly amusing part of it, I think, to me. Go figure, you strip fundamental rights from someone and legally consider them what amounts to subhuman, and some of them get legally screwed over. Who would have thunk?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

DoctorMcTaalik

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:SKULKING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5777 on: October 29, 2015, 10:00:46 pm »

Just googled it, and in my home state, anyone between the age of 15 and 18 can get married in my home state with parental consent. However, I already knew that. Here's what I didn't know:

Quote from: mo.gov
Applicants wishing to apply who are younger than 15 must obtain a circuit court order.

So yeah, kids under 15 can apparently get married with court approval. Dammit, Missouri.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5778 on: October 29, 2015, 10:25:50 pm »

I'm not even going to bother looking up what the situation is here in Kentucky. Probably something like "Y'all can only marry 'em at sixteen unless their mammy or pappy sez yes, in which case twelve is good, and y'all can fuck 'em as long as they're not yer brother or sister y'all don't get caught."  ::)

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #5779 on: October 29, 2015, 11:15:33 pm »

Am I a terrible person for laughing at that?
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5780 on: October 29, 2015, 11:17:06 pm »

No, you are a terrible person for being here.  You laugh because you are terrible.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 2016 Election Megathread- It Is Terrifying
« Reply #5781 on: October 30, 2015, 05:40:56 pm »

Also, Chomsky isn't a total hack, but he isn't completely trustworthy either. He definitely has an agenda that he sometimes pushes to the point of ignoring the truth. I distinctly recall him trying to argue that the Khmer Rouge were perfectly reasonable people who were being viciously slandered by media and that the killing fields weren't a thing.

That was back in 1977. But it's easy to point out one time someone got something wrong and ignore the fact that baseless propaganda against non-US aligned countries was a real thing, and pretty frequent.

The "yellow rain" of Vietnam. This stuff found on leaves in the jungle was claimed by the US State Department to be communist chemical weapons used against their own populations. I read about this in scientific american. several hundred samples were collected by various countries, and sent around the world, with many labs in different countries testing them and everyone that concluded it was harmless bee feces. Even the samples directly collected and tested by the US Army were bee poop. The one sole exception was labs which received samples handled by the US State Department. Those samples were a veritable cocktail of the most toxic synthetic substances known to man. Yeah, so hundreds of samples are taken, tested and verified to be a harmless natural substance across the world. What are the chances that the US State Department just happens to be the only organization which ends up with all the toxic ones? It's not a credible coincidence. It's much more likely that they doctored the samples as a propaganda attempt.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/yellow-rain/
^ I'll give you an actual citation for this: Scientific American, 1985, September 1st issue. This covers the scientific evidence and the fact that only US State Department-handled samples contained poisons. So, it's basically common knowledge that the state department was fabricating evidence against communists even if you were well-read of mainstream literature like Scientific American.

Given that examples like the above were pretty common during the cold war, I give Chomsky the benefit of the doubt, since in 1977 no-one had really verified the details. If you believed every anti-communist story that came out in the 1970s - 1980s you'd also believe in the Yellow Rain and many other fake stories. Fake stuff was common, so it's not stupid to be at least a bit skeptical when the next one comes out.

I think spraying shit on people counts as a chemical and/or biological weapon.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5782 on: October 30, 2015, 05:44:51 pm »

How come you're responding to a post that is almost a year old?

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #5783 on: October 30, 2015, 05:45:22 pm »

That might be the most significant case of l'esprit d'escalier I've seen recently.

EDIT: Ninja'd!
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 2016 Election Megathread- It Is Terrifying
« Reply #5784 on: October 30, 2015, 05:57:14 pm »

I think spraying shit on people counts as a chemical and/or biological weapon.

The stuff was pollen that had been processed by a bee's digestive system. The idea that the Soviets harvest bee poop as a weapon is ludicrous. The pollen was also from plants native to that part of Vietnam. So they would have to have this huge factory in the jungle processing bees day and night, then add T-2 mycotoxin (the purported chemical agent), then put the stuff into canisters and deploy over the same rainforest. BTW, there's no known industrial process for synthesizing T-2 mycotoxin, so you have to cultivate mould on agar jelly plates to get enough of it. The logistics tell you instantly that this is impossible to be true. Knowing the basic details basically makes the Soviet Yellow Rain belief on the same level as Chemtrails or the Fake Moon Landing belief. If you're making a chemical weapon, you just wouldn't use "vietnamese jungle bee poop" as the main component, then combine it with something you need to grow on agar jelly plates! There's simpler stuff you could have made.

Also, the claimed symptoms only match the very lowest level of T-2 mycotoxin exposure (skin rashes, vomiting, diarrhea). The only supposed survivors studied turned out to have fungal skin rashes. High levels of T-2 mycotoxin exposure causes the skin rashes and diarhea, for sure, but also bone marrow degeneration, and necrosis of both muscles and skin, with open bleeding sores all over your body. So the actual substance doesn't just make you drop dead, it makes you look like you've caught ebola or something. If that's the case, there should be photo evidence, which there is not.

The bees did it. Charge the bees with chemical weapons violations xD.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 06:34:36 pm by Reelya »

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5785 on: October 30, 2015, 06:26:55 pm »

Calling all abortion murder shows a breathtaking lack of understanding of the concept. Just promise you won't start singing "every sperm is sacred."

If you don't know the difference between a gamete and an embryo you're even more ignorant than the religious right.

EDIT:
Being versed in a bunch of bs that was originally written in ancient latin and greek at least means that preseumably they know that "haplo-" means one and "di-" means two
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 06:36:56 pm by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #5786 on: October 30, 2015, 06:30:02 pm »

Bohandas. I'm going to need you to stop. Stop, and look at the dates on posts before you reply.

Also, nobody implied they didn't know the difference between those things.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5787 on: October 30, 2015, 06:37:30 pm »

Not intentionally.
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5788 on: October 30, 2015, 06:39:58 pm »

How come you're responding to a post that is almost a year old?

I came across it during a topic search for something else.
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5789 on: October 30, 2015, 06:41:41 pm »

Well, rather that a drive-by oneliner you could make a reasonable contribution to the discussion. There was no nuanced point in your response to my old post.
Pages: 1 ... 384 385 [386] 387 388 ... 1342