Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 370 371 [372] 373 374 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1549286 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread- Voting Trump/Wallace in '168
« Reply #5565 on: October 27, 2015, 04:58:19 pm »

Would make the circular firing squad a lot easier.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5566 on: October 27, 2015, 11:20:13 pm »

Celebrity endorser would like to chew your ear off about Donald Trump.

Vote trump or I'll bite your ear off?

Also I don't get the obama hate a lot of American's seem to have. From an outsiders views he seems to have been better then any other US president I can think of, though I can't say I've been paying a heap of attention.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 11:22:44 pm by wobbly »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5567 on: October 27, 2015, 11:37:26 pm »

Political systems always look different from the inside.  It's especially hard to sympathize with the difficulties of the party you want to see out of power.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5568 on: October 27, 2015, 11:47:51 pm »

Uh.

Lincoln? FDR? Washington?

But, being serious...eh. Obama is kind of middle of the road, imo. Not great, not terrible, just average. I don't agree with everything he does, but the man's on a tightrope. Not like the greats were perfect, either.

*flashbacks intensify.*
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5569 on: October 28, 2015, 02:54:22 am »

So...John Boehner pushed through a budget bill that eases some of the austerity measures and raises the debt ceiling to 2017. It also sets the Federal budget levels for 2016 and 2017, essentially removing the two biggest find the Tea Party had.

Boehner troll is best troll.
FINALLY.
Its a really good move for the republicans, given that it prevents a govermet shutdown closer to the election where it would really shoot the party in the foot.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #5570 on: October 28, 2015, 05:59:18 am »

Also I don't get the obama hate a lot of American's seem to have. From an outsiders views he seems to have been better then any other US president I can think of, though I can't say I've been paying a heap of attention.

*I* think he's very meh. I literally wouldn't have noticed we even HAD a president for the last few years if Obamacare hadn't screwed us personally.

So its really more that he doesn't really have much visibility except when he screws up, which obviously skews the viewpoint.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5571 on: October 28, 2015, 07:41:38 am »

As someone who voted for him twice and was very excited to do so the first time. He is very meh.

Dropped a lot of his promises, Obamacare, while not being the disaster a lot of people make it out to be isn't the savior for everyone that it should have been. (Single payer is the way to go, plz.) And his record on accountability and protecting whistleblowers is bad. Not to mention all these trade agreements he's trying to push through secretly with no negotiation and no public vote.

He's not a bad president. I'm not happy with him, but I've never been happy with a president. I do think he was handed a lot of shit on his plate at the start and it never stopped coming the entire time he's been in office. So I'll give him some slack there. But he's just not lived up to any of the expectations I, or I expect many people going into his first term had.

He didn't ruin the country... yet... and I'll give him credit for that.

I think the worst thing he's done is that he's been a distraction. While the right has simply been tooth and nail holding him up as "the enemy" and fighting basically anything he's wanted to do no matter how moderate or how reasonable while pushing their own dirty politician stuff quietly, the left has simply stopped fighting and used him as a shield to keep their noses clean while they do their normal dirty politician stuff, also quietly.

Otherwise, meh.

Kinda sad that that's the best I can come up with for how to describe a president. "Meh." But I suppose we've had plenty of meh presidents that didn't leave all that much legacy behind. And Obamacare is... a step in the right direction at least, while not being anywhere near what we need. And taking that first step might be an okay legacy if we keep walking that path.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5572 on: October 28, 2015, 07:44:50 am »

He is rather "meh".
Can't believe I didn't norice that before.
He even sounds "meh".
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #5573 on: October 28, 2015, 07:58:42 am »

He is rather "meh".
Can't believe I didn't norice that before.
He even sounds "meh".

...Barack Obameh?

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5574 on: October 28, 2015, 08:13:52 am »

And Obamacare is... a step in the right direction at least, while not being anywhere near what we need. And taking that first step might be an okay legacy if we keep walking that path.
In the sense that its a step toward ACTUAL universal healthcare? Probably not. In fact I think it being as bad as it is probably made people wary of such plans in the future.

To explain my personal dislike of it:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Now luckily there is apparently a poverty line or such that means they can't charge her the 300 dollars for not having insurance, but that doesn't change the fact that the whole thing now strikes me not as a plan for Universal Healthcare, but as an extortion racket.

Indeed, I do this.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5575 on: October 28, 2015, 08:20:50 am »

And Obamacare is... a step in the right direction at least, while not being anywhere near what we need. And taking that first step might be an okay legacy if we keep walking that path.
In the sense that its a step toward ACTUAL universal healthcare? Probably not. In fact I think it being as bad as it is probably made people wary of such plans in the future.

Now luckily there is apparently a poverty line or such that means they can't charge her the 300 dollars for not having insurance, but that doesn't change the fact that the whole thing now strikes me not as a plan for Universal Healthcare, but as an extortion racket.
That plan sounds like a scammer.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5576 on: October 28, 2015, 08:23:43 am »

That plan sounds like a scammer.
That's because it basically is.
A Government sanctioned one no less.

Indeed, I do this.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5577 on: October 28, 2015, 08:27:39 am »

Those first 3-6 months or so were messy... I won't deny that. And I'm even someone that falls outside of the window of people it helps so I really have no reason to defend it personally. I don't make much but I had insurance before obamacare. Absurdly expensive insurance which is currently my single largest expense in my life every month, but still insurance, yay. And I went to check out the website, and the best price they could give me was 50% more than what I'm currently paying for a much larger deductible and in general worse coverage. Because my income falls outside of the expected window of use for the ACA.

But... people I know have used it, it has worked for them, people who had NO insurance before, have it now. and if you think about it, that $6000 sounds terrible, but considering a catastrophic illness that requires surgery could run into the tens of thousands upwards of millions of dollars for anything that requires extended treatment or care, $6000 ain't so bad to save your life on occasion.

Everything else sounds like typical health insurance bullshit that happened before obamacare. Which is why we need to get rid of insurance companies. They're the problem.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5578 on: October 28, 2015, 08:28:14 am »

Those first 3-6 months or so were messy... I won't deny that. And I'm even someone that falls outside of the window of people it helps so I really have no reason to defend it personally. I don't make much but I had insurance before obamacare. Absurdly expensive insurance which is currently my single largest expense in my life every month, but still insurance, yay. And I went to check out the website, and the best price they could give me was 50% more than what I'm currently paying for a much larger deductible and in general worse coverage. Because my income falls outside of the expected window of use for the ACA.

But... people I know have used it, it has worked for them, people who had NO insurance before, have it now. and if you think about it, that $6000 sounds terrible, but considering a catastrophic illness that requires surgery could run into the tens of thousands upwards of millions of dollars for anything that requires extended treatment or care, $6000 ain't so bad to save your life on occasion.

Everything else sounds like typical health insurance bullshit that happened before obamacare. Which is why we need to get rid of insurance companies. They're the problem.
Sigtext

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5579 on: October 28, 2015, 08:34:02 am »

What bit me recently, was a recent bout of unexpected unemployment. During that time, I did not have health insurance through an employer, and could not afford my own insurance, either from a primary insurance provider, OR through the obama care health insurance marketplace, because I had made waaaay too much money in the first part of the year. It was way cheaper to eat the penalty for the year, than to consider the financial consequences of getting an insurance package through the affordable care act market.

This indicates to me that this is NOT a system geared toward ensuring that people who are suffering misfortune are able to adequately get health care, but rather a clusterF@$k that seeks to penalize people who have sudden misfortune strike.
Pages: 1 ... 370 371 [372] 373 374 ... 1342