Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 367 368 [369] 370 371 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1549523 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread- Voting Trump/Wallace in '168
« Reply #5520 on: October 26, 2015, 10:39:16 pm »

No, I definitely just made a ridiculous typo and completely inverted the meaning of my post.

no worries. you would not believe how often i do that when i'm writing papers
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #5521 on: October 26, 2015, 10:44:45 pm »

No, I definitely just made a ridiculous typo and completely inverted the meaning of my post.
To ramble somewhat tangentially, it'd still be possible for that to be calling it too late, though. The logical end-state for the argument from potential that a lot of at-conception positions work from would roughly mean that every bit of reproductive material that's allowed to die* is equivalent to murder. If the biological gruft that exists at conception is enough to count, the stuff it's made from should be included as well -- the differentiation between it and a late-term fetus is significantly less.

Starting from conception also means you've got a hell of a lot bigger problem than artificial abortion -- the vast majority of abortions occur naturally, just as a part of how human biology and reproduction work, and have little to do with medical intervention (save for its lack, anyway). Fun part is a lot of pro-life/anti-choice groups are actually vehemently opposed to research and organizations that work to study and reduce the vagrancies of our shitty, shitty biology on the reproductive process.

*Of which droves do, entirely naturally -- every non-sterile man is a walking genocide, just due to the normal amount of potential fertilization material they allow to die on a daily basis, and women are only somewhat better off. The parody bit is that whole "every sperm is sacred" rigmarole.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5522 on: October 26, 2015, 11:03:40 pm »

There's a slight difference between a deliberate abortion, and biology just spontaneously deciding that no this isn't going to happen, or gametes dying off in the testes because the fella isn't having sex literally all the time. If the former is murder, the latter is more akin to dying of disease, or in an accident, or of old age. Nobody is really at fault.

And it's just as easy to extrapolate to some ridiculous conclusion in the other direction. The whole killing useless children thing might fall a bit flat on the Dwarf Fortress forums but I could, for example, draw from the common "able to sustain itself outside the womb" stance and say that you'd be hard pressed to find an even mostly self-sufficient kid under the age of 6 at least. A baby wouldn't last more than two or three days on its own. Does that mean they aren't really people, and can be humanely euthanized with a clean conscience?
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5523 on: October 26, 2015, 11:04:27 pm »

To ramble somewhat tangentially, it'd still be possible for that to be calling it too late, though. The logical end-state for the argument from potential that a lot of at-conception positions work from would roughly mean that every bit of reproductive material that's allowed to die* is equivalent to murder. If the biological gruft that exists at conception is enough to count, the stuff it's made from should be included as well -- the differentiation between it and a late-term fetus is significantly less.
This isn't logical at all. That's like saying that vegetarians can't eat wheat because it is a component of Beef Wellington. An individual sperm or egg cell will never develop into a human, while once you mix them a human will result unless something goes wrong (or somebody forces something to go wrong). Thus conception is the earliest possible "Is it human?" moment.

Starting from conception also means you've got a hell of a lot bigger problem than artificial abortion -- the vast majority of abortions occur naturally, just as a part of how human biology and reproduction work, and have little to do with medical intervention (save for its lack, anyway).

The vast majority of human deaths occur naturally, just as a part of how human biology works, and have little to do with medical intervention (save for its lack, anyway).  That doesn't change the fact that chopping somebody up is simply wrong.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #5524 on: October 26, 2015, 11:07:10 pm »

yeah, this is just a general sort of problem that arises when you've got a fundamentally continuous process, and an interaction with it that is pretty damned binary like an abortion

shit gets philosophical

i'm not prepared to address it tonight, and i've thought better of my original plan and decided to omit the spoilered dead baby joke i was going to end this post with
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5525 on: October 26, 2015, 11:26:38 pm »

Yes, but in cases where birth complications result in a situation where either the child dies or the mother dies?

(Quote chain removed)

Technically speaking, such situations rarely exist - the much more likely choice is "either the child dies or both die", in which case the only option that preserves life must be taken. This is no different from situations where one person is trapped beyond recovery by a fire, and trying to save them would result in another person dying.

While, as I am not a doctor, my knowledge is limited, I can't conceive of any situation where there is a possibility of saving either that doesn't also have the chance of saving both. If such a situation did come up, the ethical lines would be blurry as hell.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #5526 on: October 26, 2015, 11:44:12 pm »

That doesn't change the fact that chopping somebody up is simply wrong.
Standing and watching while someone dies is pretty much as bad, though, and would be the equivalent action to just letting nature take its course. And hell, maybe it is the less immoral act, but even if it is the scale is massively different. Doesn't mean you should stand aside as someone's chopping people up, but if you're trying to be even remotely consistent you should be a lot louder about the bigger problem (especially considering it's one that's significantly less of an ethical question, heh.).

You'd also note well a lot of vegetarians abstain from dairy products, heh. Which would be a closer equivalent, imo. Milk and beef is just a titch more akin to each other than wheat and beef. It's not so much a matter of being a component as being a similar sort of thing, and the component parts in the case of a fertilized egg share a hell of a lot more with it than the egg shares with a developed fetus. If you're going to lump the egg in with the fetus, you should probably be lumping the egg's components in there, too.

... also, we could totally get parthenogenesis working if we'd just get off our asses and do it. That never is pretty conditional to the present, heh.

There's a slight difference between a deliberate abortion, and biology just spontaneously deciding that no this isn't going to happen, or gametes dying off in the testes because the fella isn't having sex literally all the time. If the former is murder, the latter is more akin to dying of disease, or in an accident, or of old age. Nobody is really at fault.
The gametes dying off in particular is more akin to someone in front of you starving to death -- a preventable event. You don't even have to be constantly having sex, there, just preserving the material. There's a substantial amount of fault lying in the hands of people doing nothing while others die, particularly when they have a relatively straightforward way of helping. Watching as someone starves in front of you when you have food isn't exactly a blame free action.

And yeah, the extremis in the other direction is completely ridiculous, too.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 11:46:15 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #5527 on: October 26, 2015, 11:45:35 pm »

There is no clear objective answer to the question of when life begins, or when something can first be defined as a human being.  So trying to tackle the issue from that direction is a bunch of pointless volatility.

This may be the only subject I take this stance on, but it's an issue that can only be constructively addressed in terms of what's most pragmatic.  Restricting abortion is demonstrably the least pragmatic course of action by every metric.  Unwanted children result in increased suffering for society as a whole, not even just the unwilling parents.  Even if you believe that abortion is murder, and I say this as one who is on the fence on that point, the pros outweigh the cons to such a degree that I question the ethical integrity of anyone who opposes abortion on that basis without also strictly opposing any harm intentionally or indirectly ever done to anyone for any reason ever.  Any exploration of the topic beyond that is purely fluff speculation that as such shouldn't need to get at all heated.

And it's just as easy to extrapolate to some ridiculous conclusion in the other direction. The whole killing useless children thing might fall a bit flat on the Dwarf Fortress forums but I could, for example, draw from the common "able to sustain itself outside the womb" stance and say that you'd be hard pressed to find an even mostly self-sufficient kid under the age of 6 at least. A baby wouldn't last more than two or three days on its own. Does that mean they aren't really people, and can be humanely euthanized with a clean conscience?

Human cultures that don't grant personhood to a child until long after they've been born are not unheard of.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 11:47:27 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5528 on: October 27, 2015, 12:22:48 am »

It's silly to debate abortion without debating forced body autonomy. While this, at first, may seem like a strange argument, no one is legally allowed to compel you to donate any portion of your body to save a life, even if that risks the life of someone else. Abortion restrictions are in essence infringements on the bodily autonomy of the woman who will have to carry a child to term, something that can (will) cause permanent changes to her body in the process.

I believe life begins at conception myself, but I also sort of believe in the rule of law? And currently the pro-life choice should be weighing itself behind birth control to prevent unwanted pregnancies, and support of lower income households instead of infringing on the rights of others.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5529 on: October 27, 2015, 02:33:06 am »

In the US, there is also the possibility of fear mongering over the re-creation of hitler via cloning.

Who needs zombie hitler, when you can have Mini-Hitler 2.0 instead!
...Seriously?
Ugh.
I feel like slapping everybody who thinks that a clone of Hitler would inevitably re-enact WWII.
They would not have had anywhere near the same experiences that drove original!Hitler to be, well, Hitler.

I suspect it's less fear of literally cloning Hitler and more that people are worried that it could rebirth the eugenics movement.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5530 on: October 27, 2015, 02:53:42 am »

"GATTACA" type stuff? Why settle for less than superior?
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5531 on: October 27, 2015, 03:57:53 am »

Eeh, not so much. More in the same vein as the notion of designer babies, except with the added horror of growing people to-order for jobs and slavery making a comeback.

Even though this would be one of the relatively easy ways to achieve biological immortality; you "only" need the ability to make perfect clones relatively inexpensively and to conduct brain transplants with a low percentage of errors.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5532 on: October 27, 2015, 04:33:09 am »

Eeh, not so much. More in the same vein as the notion of designer babies, except with the added horror of growing people to-order for jobs and slavery making a comeback.

Even though this would be one of the relatively easy ways to achieve biological immortality; you "only" need the ability to make perfect clones relatively inexpensively and to conduct brain transplants with a low percentage of errors.
Yeah but it is a bit weird you can abort a perfectly healthy baby for whatever reasons but then there's an uproar when you want to for a baby that'll be born mentally porked
Oh wait nah abortion has uproars every time, nvm

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5533 on: October 27, 2015, 09:17:01 am »

and... back to police!

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2015/10/27/452206430/video-of-s-c-police-officer-throwing-student-to-ground-prompts-inquiry-and-outra

and somehow people STILL defend it! *slams head on floor because was flipped out of desk
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 09:22:07 am by redwallzyl »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5534 on: October 27, 2015, 09:24:42 am »

Theres already a thread for that though redwallzyl. Though yeah, the hell was up with being that violent?

Also: http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/27/politics/ben-carson-donald-trump-cbs-poll/index.html

I think it's just the whole 'flavor of the month' effect that is trying to enforce itself.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 09:28:39 am by smjjames »
Pages: 1 ... 367 368 [369] 370 371 ... 1342