Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 353 354 [355] 356 357 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1548028 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread- Voting Trump/Wallace in '168
« Reply #5310 on: October 15, 2015, 11:18:40 pm »

Then from one insider to another, you really seem to be missing the forest for the trees here.

This debate has somehow segued into how it would be super duper easy to reform the healthcare system.  Apparently the burden of proof is that if I have to disprove that in order to say that Keynes predicted a lower level of consumption then today.  Are you sure I'm the one missing the forest for the trees?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5311 on: October 15, 2015, 11:35:18 pm »

Or you can easily make the argument that if wealth were more equitably distributed, we WOULDN'T need more than 15 hours. Especially when CEOs make more in 15 hours than I make in 4 YEARS. And more than smoe of their employees would make in 8 years.

One could easily make the argument.  One would be wrong.
Well, can't argue with that. By which I mean, I literally can't argue with that, because there's not enough "that" to argue with.
You're an economist, and your response is "No, because I said so"? Pretty weaksauce, bro.

Take net personal income of 9 trillion dollars.  Divide it by three because apparently soaking the rich will pay for us working one third as much.  We now have 3 trillion dollars net personal income.  Divide that by 320 million Americans.  That's less then 10,000 dollars per capita.  Multiply that by average household size of 2.58 perople and you are left with household income of about 25,000 dollars.  So assuming we flawlessly redirect all efforts towards perfect equality and there are no diseconomies of scale to this 15 hour work week our perfectly egalitarian society still has to get by on half as many resources per household.  However a great number of costs are not very elastic.  Having more free time wont really reduce the amount of healthcare you need.  So healthcare is now a massively bigger chunk of household spending, and it wasn't a small chunk to begin with...
That's an exquisitely crafted strawman. I particularly like the hat. And the nose.

I'm not calling for Communist-style flat pay (not that it was ever flat in Communist systems). But when CEO's salaries are thousands of times higher than their average employees (as opposed to the modest ratios in most of the rest of the world), then the system is fucking broken. Especially when the economies where those compensation rates are more modest also seem to be able to manage more egalitarian societies with things like subsidized healthcare and education.

I get it, you're a capitalist and you see me as a dirty, unwashed Marxist. That's why you have your Hillary body pillow and I'm all in for Bernie.

But all this is because I've seen capitalism up close, I've seen its gross excesses and I've seen the way it's destroying American businesses with its obsession with quarterly earnings and short-term profit, the way it's destroying Americans by shipping their jobs to "low-cost regions" and the way it's destroying American politics by making money equivalent to speech, with the result that a handful of rich ideologues are very loudly heard in the halls of power while the rest of us whisper in the dark.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5312 on: October 15, 2015, 11:43:22 pm »

RedKing, I wasn't strawmanning you, I was showing the extreme case of how the numbers could be handled.

I'm not calling for Communist-style flat pay (not that it was ever flat in Communist systems). But when CEO's salaries are thousands of times higher than their average employees (as opposed to the modest ratios in most of the rest of the world), then the system is fucking broken.

Yeah, that's probably true.  But I was discussing whether or not it is possible for a society to sustain the levels of consumption it does with one third the labor.  Wait... maybe I hadn't considered everything...
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5313 on: October 15, 2015, 11:48:39 pm »

You're also equating dollars to resources, which you of all people should know is a false equivalency.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5314 on: October 15, 2015, 11:51:49 pm »

It's an illuminating approximation however.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5315 on: October 16, 2015, 12:07:36 am »

Not over time, especially if you're trying to prove/disprove a theory comparing resource usage in two periods 80 years apart.

You might as well say the laws of thermodynamics have been disproven because a dollar today doesn't buy as much horsepower (based on one gallon of gas in a Model T engine) as it did in 1930.

A dollar in 1930 is considerably more than a dollar in 2015, for most resources. Conversely, many of the products we use regularly now require materials, processing and especially logistical chains that Keynes probably could scarcely have imagined then. How many people regularly ate food imported from halfway around the world on a daily basis then? How many had advanced electronics that were the end result of hundreds of chains of production in a dozen or more countries?

Compared to the 1930s, we ALL live like royalty.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5316 on: October 16, 2015, 12:10:51 am »

Not over time, especially if you're trying to prove/disprove a theory comparing resource usage in two periods 80 years apart.

Was I doing that?  I thought I was comparing an 80 year old prediction with the present day.

Conversely, many of the products we use regularly now require materials, processing and especially logistical chains that Keynes probably could scarcely have imagined then. How many people regularly ate food imported from halfway around the world on a daily basis then? How many had advanced electronics that were the end result of hundreds of chains of production in a dozen or more countries?

Yes, those are great examples of new forms of consumption that Keynes did not account for when he assumed that everyone would be satisfied in the future.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5317 on: October 16, 2015, 12:19:53 am »

Ummm okay, so what are we arguing about again?   ???

Thank you, crazy black guy.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5318 on: October 16, 2015, 12:21:30 am »

Ummm okay, so what are we arguing about again?

I thought Graeber started from a flawed premise and arrived at a flawed conclusion.  I dont know what anyone else thought on the subject.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5319 on: October 16, 2015, 01:33:05 am »

I'm kind of interested in the discussion about what makes a "bullshit job". My (uneducated) impression has been that most of the growth of service jobs was expanding on the margins of inefficiency and waste, with previously unprofitable businesses (due to their wastefulness and frivolity, like fast food) only becoming viable as the minimum wage and the general labor market lags behind growth and inflation (along with things like government subsidies of corn cheapening low-quality food, exploitation of cheaper manufacturing outside the US, no need for corporations to provide benefits, etc).

What I'm really curious about is if those trends reversed (and the marginal service business died), what would replace them in an entrenched service economy, and is it even possible for a service economy to be healthy without these bottom-tier businesses and jobs existing?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5320 on: October 16, 2015, 09:10:26 am »

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/10/fec-2016-campaign-finance-fundraising-candidates-214825 got updated with the rest of the candidates.

Chafee has spent and raised even LESS than Gilmore, if that isn't a DOA campaign, I don't know what is. And that's saying something because Gilmore isn't even trying to campaign at all.

Santorums campaign doesn't look like it's in a good place either though.

Edit: An analysis from CNN (so what if it's shit, insight is insight) Edit2: Linkage, derp: http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/15/politics/campaign-finance-fundraising-third-quarter-highlights/index.html
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 09:24:06 am by smjjames »

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5321 on: October 16, 2015, 09:14:59 am »

I have a feeling that a drastic restructuring of pricing would accompany such a drastic restructuring of wealth. And healthcare costs are known to be massively inflated anyway.
iirc that super inflated price is more a haggle point for insurance companies.

i believe there's a decent chance of saying "yo i don't have insurance" and they'll bring the prices down to something...less then 60 bucks an aspirin.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #5322 on: October 16, 2015, 09:27:24 am »

Generally the answer to that is no, there's not. You do get put on a payment plan or something of that note, instead of having to pay everything upfront, but the hospitals rarely actually drop prices if you don't possess insurance. They just expect your ass to go bankrupt and them to not get most of the money.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5323 on: October 16, 2015, 09:52:44 am »

yeah, remembered wrong. chargemaster is targeted at insurance, but they don't really care about uninsured people. mea culpa.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5324 on: October 16, 2015, 10:15:16 am »

Some better polling data has emerged. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/huffpost-yougov-poll-democratic-debate_56203935e4b06462a13b8449
Note that while this is an online poll, it is an online panel poll, not a self selected poll.  Online panel polls now compare favorably to telephone polling.

My takeaway:
Most democrats came away from the debate liking both Clinton and Bernie.
People thought their preferred candidate won.
O'Malley has the bronze medal on lockdown.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
Pages: 1 ... 353 354 [355] 356 357 ... 1342