Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 352 353 [354] 355 356 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1548323 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread- Voting Trump/Wallace in '168
« Reply #5295 on: October 15, 2015, 09:42:16 pm »

We aren't working 15 hours a week because Keynes expected a lower level of consumption then happened.  There were bullshit jobs when Keynes wrote his predictions.  That the average household would own 2 cars, a 2600 square foot house is something that maybe Keynes would have expected.  That a more productive society would be one that chooses to direct labor towards waitstaff, landscapers, maids and the like is not really in line with Keynes' predictions.  The word "service" never appears.  The word "education" never appears but quite a bit of labor these days goes to that.  The words "doctor" "medicine" and "health" dont and that is a substantial form of "consumption" that takes up a lot of labor.

What do these professions you're bringing up that are not bullshit jobs have to do with the existence of bullshit jobs?
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5296 on: October 15, 2015, 09:46:59 pm »

Agreed. Service jobs aren't bullshit jobs, and I think it says something of the mentality of someone who would classify them as such.

Now "social media expert"...THAT'S a bullshit job.
Pet beautician...that's a bullshit job.
Eyebrow threader...that's a bullshit job.

Guy/girl who brings me my food with a smile and makes my day 5% less shitty thereof? That's a job with considerable utility to society. Might as well toss bartender on the heap if you're going to denigrate waitservice, and frankly our veneer of civilization is only held together thanks to bartenders.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5297 on: October 15, 2015, 09:51:37 pm »

What do these professions you're bringing up that are not bullshit jobs have to do with the existence of bullshit jobs?

Because they are professions that are much more prevalent then in the 30s and are the industries that grew to supply the consumption that Keynes didn't predict.

Graeber posits the existence of bullshit jobs to explain for the discrepancy in what Keynes said.  According to Graeber, Keynes said we needed 15 hours of work for the level of consumption we enjoy.  We dont.  Therefore "bullshit" accounts for the other two thirds.  But Keynes didn't say that.  Keynes said we needed 15 hours of day for a level of consumption higher then the level in the 1930s.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5298 on: October 15, 2015, 09:57:58 pm »

Or you can easily make the argument that if wealth were more equitably distributed, we WOULDN'T need more than 15 hours. Especially when CEOs make more in 15 hours than I make in 4 YEARS. And more than smoe of their employees would make in 8 years.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5299 on: October 15, 2015, 10:03:06 pm »

Or you can easily make the argument that if wealth were more equitably distributed, we WOULDN'T need more than 15 hours. Especially when CEOs make more in 15 hours than I make in 4 YEARS. And more than smoe of their employees would make in 8 years.

One could easily make the argument.  One would be wrong.

Let me just back track for a moment and note that Graeber has abso-fucking-lutely no credentials in this field.  The things your cranky relatives angrily post on facebook have just as much credibility.  As such, if you want to investigate information about wealth and such (reading Picketty is a great starting point for this) you would be able to arrive at a much more rigorous result then Graeber.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5300 on: October 15, 2015, 10:07:42 pm »

Well, can't argue with that. By which I mean, I literally can't argue with that, because there's not enough "that" to argue with.
You're an economist, and your response is "No, because I said so"? Pretty weaksauce, bro.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5301 on: October 15, 2015, 10:21:03 pm »

Well, can't argue with that. By which I mean, I literally can't argue with that, because there's not enough "that" to argue with.
You're an economist, and your response is "No, because I said so"? Pretty weaksauce, bro.

Take net personal income of 9 trillion dollars.  Divide it by three because apparently soaking the rich will pay for us working one third as much.  We now have 3 trillion dollars net personal income.  Divide that by 320 million Americans.  That's less then 10,000 dollars per capita.  Multiply that by average household size of 2.58 perople and you are left with household income of about 25,000 dollars.  So assuming we flawlessly redirect all efforts towards perfect equality and there are no diseconomies of scale to this 15 hour work week our perfectly egalitarian society still has to get by on half as many resources per household.  However a great number of costs are not very elastic.  Having more free time wont really reduce the amount of healthcare you need.  So healthcare is now a massively bigger chunk of household spending, and it wasn't a small chunk to begin with...
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 10:22:47 pm by mainiac »
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5302 on: October 15, 2015, 10:24:01 pm »

I have a feeling that a drastic restructuring of pricing would accompany such a drastic restructuring of wealth. And healthcare costs are known to be massively inflated anyway.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #5303 on: October 15, 2015, 10:29:58 pm »

The stuff that I see as bullshit jobs is the ever growing mountains of paperwork and expansion of middle management around absolutely everything we do.

My own job is a perfect example.  I move objects from Point A to Point B.  But there are a million obstacles in the way, and every single one of them is a product of people inserting bullshit to the equation.  Fighting over scraps of numbers that are literally worth less than the cost of the labor going into that fight.  We have to fight with the airline terminals over details in paperwork to get cargo picked up, and most of it is details that they invent for no discernible reason other than to create the potential for delays so they can charge us more for holding onto the cargo while we figure it out.  We have to fight with customs about details in paperwork, which is also constantly expanding in requirements, because every failed requirement is another potential for them to make money from a fine.  We have to fight with the customer over making their paperwork compatible with everyone else's so we can actually perform the service they're paying us for, while keeping things also in line with their own internal paperwork requirements that are sometimes in direct contradiction with everyone else's.  We have to document every step of every fight that we engage in to cover our own asses from every angle - literally making sure to take down name and time stamp of every person that we talk to for almost any reason while on the job.  As these difficulties expand, the longer the chain of management grows to invent and monitor all the processes necessary to navigate this minefield and distance the company royalty from the frustration and resentment of their workers.  And as the chain of management grows, so does the amount of labor that goes into developing reports that all those managers use to make sense of everything that's going on beneath them.

Mountains and mountains of bullshit that as far as I can tell arises because people who are supposed to be working together to make a product/service happen are actually putting 90% of their effort into creating opportunities to heckle and steal from each other..... because it's mandated from Mt Olympus that profit margins must grow year after year after year forever while at the same time providing lower costs to customers, and if those profits aren't coming from cuts to employee pay or operational budgets, then they're coming from extortionary mountains of bullshit.

Having more free time wont really reduce the amount of healthcare you need.

Really?  I'm sure you know better than this.  Having more free time is the #1 thing that many, many people need to be healthier.  Not that this is core content of your post, but I can't let that one go...
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 10:38:33 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5304 on: October 15, 2015, 10:34:31 pm »

And healthcare costs are known to be massively inflated anyway.

This is a rather complicated subject.  If your way to make egalitarianism work is to square the circle of healthcare, then it's actually a healthcare reform proposal, not the fault of the rich.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #5305 on: October 15, 2015, 10:42:06 pm »

In non-election news, it's about goddamn time this happened.
that's a nice headline though. don't mention the guns in the headline, mention the flags.
i'm not saying that because i don't think the confederate flag is literally the most racist thing since hitler, i'm saying that because...
that headline implies these people were indicted by waving a confederate flag at a birthday party.
not convoying past, brandishing guns and making death threats.
great job cnn. you did it again.
So I'm the only one willing to suspend my judgements of what went down until these people are actually, y'know, judged for what went down?
While the fact they're being indicted certainly implies that they were the perpetrators here, there are two sides to the story, and its perfectly possible they were literally arrested for waving flags and then having rocks thrown at them.  Not necessarily LIKELY, but possible.

All this article tells us is "people were arrested" and "those people had confederate flags" those are the full amounts of facts in that article.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5306 on: October 15, 2015, 10:43:53 pm »

And healthcare costs are known to be massively inflated anyway.

This is a rather complicated subject.  If your way to make egalitarianism work is to square the circle of healthcare, then it's actually a healthcare reform proposal, not the fault of the rich.

See SalmonGod's post though. The underlying cause of healthcare's circular nature is exactly the same as the underlying cause of the expansion of middle management and artificial busywork. The people who are already up high benefit from setting the system up like that and keeping it like that when it's already there, to the detriment of literally everyone else. It even manifests in similar forms, with acres of forests pulped into paperwork that insurance companies can use to deny people's claims because Mostly Meaningless Form No. 6492081 was slightly misfiled.

Not to imply that that's even remotely the whole extent of healthcare's borkedness, that's just the example that stands out.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 10:45:24 pm by Baffler »
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5307 on: October 15, 2015, 10:45:38 pm »

I'm rather aware of the problems of the system, having worked in it...
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #5308 on: October 15, 2015, 10:46:36 pm »

with acres of forests pulped into paperwork that insurance companies can use to deny people's claims because Mostly Meaningless Form No. 6492081 was slightly misfiled.
Would you deny the trees their revenge? :P
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5309 on: October 15, 2015, 10:48:07 pm »

I'm rather aware of the problems of the system, having worked in it...

Then from one insider to another, you really seem to be missing the forest for the trees here.

with acres of forests pulped into paperwork that insurance companies can use to deny people's claims because Mostly Meaningless Form No. 6492081 was slightly misfiled.
Would you deny the trees their revenge? :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWHEcIbhDiw
Pages: 1 ... 352 353 [354] 355 356 ... 1342