Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 340 341 [342] 343 344 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1548155 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread- Voting Trump/Wallace in '168
« Reply #5115 on: October 13, 2015, 11:10:59 am »

It's explicit in the Constitution what would happen.

Quote from:  25th Amendment
Section 1. In case of the removal of the President from office or of his death or resignation, the Vice President shall become President.
Section 2. Whenever there is a vacancy in the office of the Vice President, the President shall nominate a Vice President who shall take office upon confirmation by a majority vote of both Houses of Congress.
Section 3. Whenever the President transmits to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives his written declaration that he is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office, and until he transmits to them a written declaration to the contrary, such powers and duties shall be discharged by the Vice President as Acting President.
Section 4. Whenever the Vice President and a majority of either the principal officers of the executive departments or of such other body as Congress may by law provide, transmit to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives their written declaration that the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office, the Vice President shall immediately assume the powers and duties of the office as Acting President.
Thereafter, when the President transmits to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives his written declaration that no inability exists, he shall resume the powers and duties of his office unless the Vice President and a majority of either the principal officers of the executive department or of such other body as Congress may by law provide, transmit within four days to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives their written declaration that the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office. Thereupon Congress shall decide the issue, assembling within forty-eight hours for that purpose if not in session. If the Congress, within twenty-one days after receipt of the latter written declaration, or, if Congress is not in session, within twenty-one days after Congress is required to assemble, determines by two-thirds vote of both Houses that the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office, the Vice President shall continue to discharge the same as Acting President; otherwise, the President shall resume the powers and duties of his office.[3]
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5116 on: October 13, 2015, 11:33:42 am »

I think Trump gets that the constitution is more of a suggestion.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5117 on: October 13, 2015, 12:15:02 pm »

Section 1. In case of the removal of the President from office or of his death or resignation, the Vice President shall become President.
Section 2. Whenever there is a vacancy in the office of the Vice President, the President shall nominate a Vice President who shall take office upon confirmation by a majority vote of both Houses of Congress.
Section 3. Whenever the President transmits to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives his written declaration that he is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office, and until he transmits to them a written declaration to the contrary, such powers and duties shall be discharged by the Vice President as Acting President.
Section 4. Whenever the Vice President and a majority of either the principal officers of the executive departments or of such other body as Congress may by law provide, transmit to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives their written declaration that the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office, the Vice President shall immediately assume the powers and duties of the office as Acting President.
Thereafter, when the President transmits to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives his written declaration that no inability exists, he shall resume the powers and duties of his office unless the Vice President and a majority of either the principal officers of the executive department or of such other body as Congress may by law provide, transmit within four days to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives their written declaration that the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office. Thereupon Congress shall decide the issue, assembling within forty-eight hours for that purpose if not in session. If the Congress, within twenty-one days after receipt of the latter written declaration, or, if Congress is not in session, within twenty-one days after Congress is required to assemble, determines by two-thirds vote of both Houses that the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office, the Vice President shall continue to discharge the same as Acting President; otherwise, the President shall resume the powers and duties of his office.[3]
How about if both houses is hell bent on an impeachment of the then VP - for example if the impeachment of P also relates to the VP, and they also refuse to confirm any VP nominated by the then VP (or cooperate with him, in any case)? Should the Pro Tem jump in?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5118 on: October 13, 2015, 12:53:52 pm »

How about if both houses is hell bent on an impeachment of the then VP - for example if the impeachment of P also relates to the VP, and they also refuse to confirm any VP nominated by the then VP (or cooperate with him, in any case)? Should the Pro Tem jump in?

All impeachements are on an individual level - if they had decided to go after Agnew and Nixon at the same time, then there would be two simultaneous proceedings, and if both were successful the Speaker of the House would take over.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #5119 on: October 13, 2015, 12:57:01 pm »

You have the option to vote for someone who will bring America to unparalleled levels of greatness, or to a rogue that will drive the nation into the mud. Your choice.

Every electoral campagin ever
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5120 on: October 13, 2015, 02:01:11 pm »

May I remind the esteemed assembly that impeachment does not equal removal from office. See: William Jefferson Clinton, Andrew Johnson.

After the House votes to impeach, it is the Senate's role to remove from office, which requires a 2/3 vote. Ignoring the fact that you're unlikely to find enough sane people in the House to impeach Trump, you're even more unlikely to get a 2/3 vote majority in the Senate.

If the Donald gets elected, he's in there for at least four years or the nearest sniper. Unless he tries to pull a Caesar and dissolve Congress the first time they block him on something.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5121 on: October 13, 2015, 02:26:10 pm »

May I remind the esteemed assembly that impeachment does not equal removal from office. See: William Jefferson Clinton, Andrew Johnson.

After the House votes to impeach, it is the Senate's role to remove from office, which requires a 2/3 vote. Ignoring the fact that you're unlikely to find enough sane people in the House to impeach Trump, you're even more unlikely to get a 2/3 vote majority in the Senate.

If the Donald gets elected, he's in there for at least four years or the nearest sniper. Unless he tries to pull a Caesar and dissolve Congress the first time they block him on something.

Those ended in an accquittal though, but point taken.

Also, I doubt Trump is that stupid. Besides, the republicans are much more likely to work with a republican president anyway and perhaps we'll see his much touted negotiation skills.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #5122 on: October 13, 2015, 03:05:22 pm »

I think we need to step back and look at Trump just to remember that he is sociopath who will compromise nothing but his morality to achieve his ends, and is perfectly willing to degrade and slander millions of citizens, let alone neighboring allied nations, to get what he wants.

If Trump really does win, it will be because democracy has failed in the United States. Exactly what form that failure might take- massive bribery and voter fraud, or worse, such a poorly-informed electorate that he wins "legitimately," changes things. I truly believe that he cannot win.

It's going to be either Diamond Joe or Hill, unless Bernie manages to get himself known to minorities somehow.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #5123 on: October 13, 2015, 03:37:48 pm »

A non-Trump Republican candidate might have a shot, actually, and I still don't believe he can win so much as the nomination (his odds do improve every day at an alarming rate, but still).
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #5124 on: October 13, 2015, 03:51:09 pm »

He's not going to win nomination, and his odds are NOT increasing at all! His polls, in fact, are DROPPING, and we're not even at the crunch-time yet. Honestly I wish people would stop seeing Trump as some sort of indomitable titan.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #5125 on: October 13, 2015, 03:55:00 pm »

His polls are dropping, yeah, I meant more that every day he continues to be taken seriously is another day it becomes vaguely more plausible that he could win the nomination, and literally any increase in that qualifies as alarming. Like I said months ago, I'll start worrying if he's still being talked about come November, but even then it'll be in the same way I worry about getting mugged on my way to class (which is pretty fucking little, it's just measurable compared to unicorn-inflicted gorings, which is about the current Trump Danger Level).
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5126 on: October 13, 2015, 04:11:38 pm »

His polls are dropping, yeah, I meant more that every day he continues to be taken seriously is another day it becomes vaguely more plausible that he could win the nomination, and literally any increase in that qualifies as alarming. Like I said months ago, I'll start worrying if he's still being talked about come November, but even then it'll be in the same way I worry about getting mugged on my way to class (which is pretty fucking little, it's just measurable compared to unicorn-inflicted gorings, which is about the current Trump Danger Level).

It's vaguely reassuring to know that even over there in the USA, "An unlimited campaign fund" does not make a suitable candidate.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5127 on: October 13, 2015, 04:20:41 pm »

It's vaguely reassuring to know that even over there in the USA, "An unlimited campaign fund" does not make a suitable candidate.
For now, at least.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5128 on: October 13, 2015, 04:43:40 pm »

Interesting article. we should take the funds out congresses pay checks. now if only the people of D.C actually could you know vote for their own stuff instead of having congress do whatever they want because stupid reasons.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #5129 on: October 13, 2015, 04:49:07 pm »

Interesting article. we should take the funds out congresses pay checks.
Won't cut it. They don't get paid that much. Less than $200,000 apiece. Most congresscritters have most of their wealth from their other jobs.
Pages: 1 ... 340 341 [342] 343 344 ... 1342