Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 339 340 [341] 342 343 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1548311 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread- Voting Trump/Wallace in '168
« Reply #5100 on: October 12, 2015, 02:08:36 pm »

We should have had more democratic debates IMO.
... I'll be the first to admit I haven't exactly been following the debate schedule, but shouldn't there be more coming up in the future? Your wording seems to suggest that there won't be, which... would surprise me. Primary votes don't start until February or march or thereabouts, iirc. We've still got three or four months of campaigning at a minimum, and that's discounting that the primary votes don't end until something like five or six months after they start. Still a ways to go.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5101 on: October 12, 2015, 03:03:39 pm »

... I'll be the first to admit I haven't exactly been following the debate schedule, but shouldn't there be more coming up in the future? Your wording seems to suggest that there won't be, which... would surprise me. Primary votes don't start until February or march or thereabouts, iirc. We've still got three or four months of campaigning at a minimum, and that's discounting that the primary votes don't end until something like five or six months after they start. Still a ways to go.

Theres only six democratic debates compared to the 11 debates that the republicans are doing. The last time the democrats did debates (in '08), there were like 28 debates or something. Some argue that limiting the debates to 6 gives Clinton an advantage over the other candidates.

Also, if Trump manages to survive until late February, he's probably going to be eaten alive in the February 26th debate which is sponsored by NBC/Telemundo and National Review.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5102 on: October 12, 2015, 03:58:52 pm »

Theres only six democratic debates compared to the 11 debates that the republicans are doing. The last time the democrats did debates (in '08), there were like 28 debates or something. Some argue that limiting the debates to 6 gives Clinton an advantage over the other candidates.

Also, if Trump manages to survive until late February, he's probably going to be eaten alive in the February 26th debate which is sponsored by NBC/Telemundo and National Review.
HAHAHA HAHAHA YESSSSSS.
Sorry.  I *really* don't like the guy.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5103 on: October 12, 2015, 06:25:04 pm »

Sanders has said that he isn't going to go negative on Clinton and wants it to be a contest of ideas rather than personality (don't we all though?), so....

And because the nomination is the Clinton/Sanders contest right now, it means it gives everyone else in the democrats to keep the blows above the belt as well or else be labeled the "dirty" alternative.  Clinton of course would love for things to be as chivalrous as possible since she is the forerunner.  Meanwhile on the republican side...
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #5104 on: October 12, 2015, 06:35:06 pm »

I'm somewhat confused by the concept of NBC and the National Review working together: they... sort of sling crap at each other all the time.

Still, it should be interesting.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5105 on: October 12, 2015, 07:00:36 pm »

Sanders has said that he isn't going to go negative on Clinton and wants it to be a contest of ideas rather than personality (don't we all though?), so....

And because the nomination is the Clinton/Sanders contest right now, it means it gives everyone else in the democrats to keep the blows above the belt as well or else be labeled the "dirty" alternative.  Clinton of course would love for things to be as chivalrous as possible since she is the forerunner.  Meanwhile on the republican side...

He may have meant 'no negative ads', but I'm sure you can have a lively debate and attack your opponents without getting too negative.

We shall see tomorrow.

I'm somewhat confused by the concept of NBC and the National Review working together: they... sort of sling crap at each other all the time.

Still, it should be interesting.

That's what it says on http://www.2016presidentialdebateschedule.com/ *shrug*

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5106 on: October 13, 2015, 03:43:00 am »

I don't know. But then I can imagine if Sanders lost steam a lot of progressives will jump ship and make sure Trump gets elected. He should break records for the shortest tenure of an elected POTUS.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5107 on: October 13, 2015, 03:58:54 am »

I don't know. But then I can imagine if Sanders lost steam a lot of progressives will jump ship and make sure Trump gets elected. He should break records for the shortest tenure of an elected POTUS.

Aha, no. You joke about it, but actually having him elected would be disastrous, even if he was impeached literally inside of a month.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5108 on: October 13, 2015, 04:09:13 am »

It's a shame we'll have to wait a few years before we can talk about Kanye 2020.

And you know what, if it came down to incumbent President Trump vs challenger Kanye West, I really don't know how that would go. But it's testament to Kanye's "genius" that he's planning to run against an incumbent first-term president. I doubt Kanye can conceive of a time 8 years from now.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 04:12:46 am by Reelya »

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5109 on: October 13, 2015, 04:20:56 am »

Aha, no. You joke about it, but actually having him elected would be disastrous, even if he was impeached literally inside of a month.
Yes but that month will be no better nor worse than HRC as POTUS.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #5110 on: October 13, 2015, 07:08:19 am »

Yes but that month will be no better nor worse than HRC as POTUS.
i'm not sure if you're intentionally joking or not but that's the funniest thing i've seen all day

like, it doesn't actually matter how bad you think clinton is? lots of people have serious misgivings about licorice, but where it might be said that a month of having clinton in office is like a month of eating a licorice meal every day, a month of trump in office is like a month of eating a cat shit meal every day

you aren't going to make it more appealing by talking about the alternatives
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5111 on: October 13, 2015, 10:19:13 am »

Only thing though, would his VP be any better or worse? Assuming he does pick a VP.

Also, considering that Trump is on the exact opposite side of Sanders, I doubt progressives will jump ship to Trump.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5112 on: October 13, 2015, 10:30:12 am »

Speaking if which. If a president is impeached, would the vice P take over for the rest if the term, or would there be a re election?
Love, scriver~

Shazbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5113 on: October 13, 2015, 10:43:54 am »

Veep takes over. See President Ford.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5114 on: October 13, 2015, 10:45:18 am »

Speaking if which. If a president is impeached, would the vice P take over for the rest if the term, or would there be a re election?

About the closest to actual impeachment that we've had is Nixon, so, I'm guessing it would follow that lead and the VP would take over. I don't know what the actual procedures would be if an impeachment actually does go through.

Edit: What shazbot said, although Nixon resigned before he actually got impeached.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 10:55:50 am by smjjames »
Pages: 1 ... 339 340 [341] 342 343 ... 1342