Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 335 336 [337] 338 339 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1548143 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread- Voting Trump/Wallace in '168
« Reply #5040 on: October 09, 2015, 10:39:24 am »

Does he realise that if the Jews had guns, it would have been called a war, and the nazis would have just bombed the ghettos from above before bulldozing the remains with their tanks?
Love, scriver~

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5041 on: October 09, 2015, 10:45:42 am »

(he's white, right? okay)

It annoys me that people say this so often. The Oregon shooter was black and everybody still calls him a lone crazy person. Same thing with the guy who shot that TV crew, and even if calling that a "mass" shooting is a bit disingenuous, it still got lots of media attention.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #5042 on: October 09, 2015, 11:18:54 am »

I'm actually a student at NAU. :(

Didn't know anyone involved, but yeah, the definite vibe here is "random conflict that escalated", not "crazy lone gunman". The fact that CNN is trying to link it to other shootings of the crazy lone gunman type is kinda absurd, to be honest. This was a new 18 year old freshman letting his anger get the better of him in a fight, not some sort of man on a mission.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 11:20:33 am by i2amroy »
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5043 on: October 09, 2015, 11:20:54 am »

Hey, let's all reserve judgment here. There's very clearly a narrative going on here, and letting things like facts get in the way of that narrative is no way to sell things or push issues.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5044 on: October 09, 2015, 11:24:38 am »

CNN should definitely get a full leaderboard up and running, the ratings will be phenomenal!
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5045 on: October 09, 2015, 11:33:54 am »

(he's white, right? okay)
The Oregon shooter was black and everybody still calls him a lone crazy person. Same thing with the guy who shot that TV crew, and even if calling that a "mass" shooting is a bit disingenuous, it still got lots of media attention.
Since when? Dude's father is British and white as can be. No idea about the mother.

And with Vester Flanagan, look at the difference in narrative. People immediately started tying it to #BlackLivesMatter (not without some basis, mind you). Whereas with that dumbass cracker in Charleston, you STILL have people denying that it was about white supremacy or some kind of ideoloigcal thing, or excusing the ideological part by just saying "Well, he's just crazy."

There is absolutely a double standard in how these incidents are reported and the narrative that develops, based on the ethnicity of the shooter.
There's also developed a double standard in reporting police brutality cases. If the victim there is white, it doesn't get nearly the coverage.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5046 on: October 09, 2015, 11:54:20 am »

Some might say that not showing white victims of police brutality is "reverse racism" against whites. But I think it's just plain old racism ... against black people.

By showing that police target black people you're basically playing into the racists' credo that black people are criminals and need to be controlled. You gotta admit most of the far right just think "well, good!" when they hear about some brutality against black kids. Hence, showing white victims doesn't fit into that racist agenda, and would cause issues with the racists on the right vs their love for "law and order" policies.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 12:00:00 pm by Reelya »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5047 on: October 09, 2015, 12:38:13 pm »

White victims of police brutality generally get a different narrative.  Remember when that cop pepper sprayed the occupy protesters?  Obvious police brutality was discussed as such but the narrative was more dominated by the right to free speech.  When the black lives matter protests got beat up the narrative wasn't about free speech, it was about police brutality.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5048 on: October 09, 2015, 12:38:48 pm »

this was i bit ago but its probably relevant. i haven't seen any discussion on bay12 yet but i could have missed it.

http://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2015/10/09/446999920/doctors-without-borders-are-now-doctors-in-anguish

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5049 on: October 09, 2015, 12:44:31 pm »

America can't be held responsible for accidental bombings. It was an accident. Case closed. It would only be a warcrime if Russia accidentally bombed someone. That would be inexcusably evil.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #5050 on: October 09, 2015, 12:57:29 pm »

Yeah.  I mean, it's not like they blew up something important.  Like a Chinese embassy or something.  Which was also an accident.  As in completely accidental.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5051 on: October 09, 2015, 01:03:53 pm »

Who are you mocking exactly?  I haven't heard anyone give a "shit happens" response to these events but maybe I'm not following the news closely enough?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5052 on: October 09, 2015, 01:29:38 pm »

Anyone who supports the U.S. bombing civilians, especially when they're hypocrites who cry foul when other states do it? The CIA "accidentally" bombing the PRC's embassy in Belgrade?

I'd suggest the answer of "why not both?"

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5053 on: October 09, 2015, 01:44:58 pm »

The problem is that it was supposedly well and widely known that it was a hospital and the thing is that it wasn't US soldiers that called it in, it was the Afghan soldiers that called it in. Yes it's a horrible accident, but with the facts that we know right now, we can't tell if it was intentional or if something went horribly wrong. I'm not defending the U.S. military's actions, I'm just saying that we don't know enough to 100% say that it's a war crime under international law.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5054 on: October 09, 2015, 01:48:50 pm »

this was i bit ago but its probably relevant. i haven't seen any discussion on bay12 yet but i could have missed it.

http://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2015/10/09/446999920/doctors-without-borders-are-now-doctors-in-anguish

That seems amazingly suspicious, with the amount of effort it takes to call down supporting fires on anything these days.

http://www.duffelblog.com/2012/08/infantry-troops-in-contact-waiting-for-presidential-approval-to-return-fire/
I mean, it's been a big enough bugaboo for the guys on the ground to get no small attention with in the community for years.

Edit:

The problem is that it was supposedly well and widely known that it was a hospital and the thing is that it wasn't US soldiers that called it in, it was the Afghan soldiers that called it in. Yes it's a horrible accident, but with the facts that we know right now, we can't tell if it was intentional or if something went horribly wrong. I'm not defending the U.S. military's actions, I'm just saying that we don't know enough to 100% say that it's a war crime under international law.

Aaaaaand explained. Taking orders from local nationals is a very dangerous thing to do. Wonder why they wanted a hospital hit
Even the avatars expire eventually.
Pages: 1 ... 335 336 [337] 338 339 ... 1342