Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 310 311 [312] 313 314 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1548538 times)

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread- Voting Trump/Wallace in '168
« Reply #4665 on: September 29, 2015, 03:48:56 pm »

I think people are underestimating the United States' responsibility for the state of the region today, only looking at very recent events like the gulf wars and Iraq wars.

Spoiler: Same old rant (click to show/hide)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4666 on: September 29, 2015, 04:13:31 pm »

Well, yes--that's the staple of U.S. Cold War foreign policy in minor countries, propping up right-wing dictators and disrupting leftist revolutions was our bread and butter. Stating that that had a large hand in the current instability in a lot of places in the Third World is like stating that bears are Catholic and that the Pope shits in the woods, or something to that effect. Pretty much the only success case (that I can remember, anyways) is South Korea, and that's down to internal factors like the June Democratic Uprising and the protectionist policies that allowed them to develop their industrial base, not anything that the U.S. did.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4667 on: September 29, 2015, 04:19:05 pm »

Why are we still allied with Saudi Arabia, one of the most oppressive hellholes on the planet?

Because the alternative is worse?

The modern radical Islamist political movements and insurgencies we're now dealing with are for the most part not primarily concerned with terrorism against the west (though there are of course groups like Al-Qaeda), they're really fighting the repressive governments that we've propped up for the last 60 years, and it's the conditions these governments created that allowed extremism to develop and flourish in the first place.

The 90s called, they want their geopolitics back.  Cuz this stuff is 20 years out of date, if that.  Here's a little event that happened not terribly recently:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six-Day_War

Egypt, Jordan, Syria and Lebanon attacked a US ally.  Ain't it weird how regimes we were "propping up" could act directly against American aims?  Ain't it weird how they had so much Soviet equipment?

Acting like the US was ever in control of all those middle eastern dictatorship is the same one sided crap that makes people say the China controls the US because it owns a bunch of debt.  It's turning a complicated political environment into a ridiculous caricature.

Pretty much the only success case (that I can remember, anyways) is South Korea

Taiwan, Japan, West Germany, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Kuwait.  Either they are successful "illiberal democracies" or they transitioned from dictatorship to democracy during the cold war.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4668 on: September 29, 2015, 04:44:55 pm »

Taiwan, Japan, West Germany, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Kuwait.  Either they are successful "illiberal democracies" or they transitioned from dictatorship to democracy during the cold war.
Respectively: Democratic from Sept. 1945 onward; democratic from May 1949 until reunification; democratic from 1946 onward; the only one on your list that could feasibly be included, though its current political and economic situation makes one question whether it's a success story at all; democracy from 1946 onward, barring the three-ish short lived coups; became a democracy two years after it gained independence from the British protectorate established back in 1899.

In short: Excepting Greece, every single one of those states transitioned to democratic government purely under their own inertia with little or no foreign intervention in their internal politics. The Greek civil war I'll grant you, but Greece isn't exactly a prime example of successful democratization and industrialization in the way South Korea is.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #4669 on: September 29, 2015, 04:47:07 pm »

You have one less response than mainiac had countries, so I'm not sure exactly how those are supposed to line up.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #4670 on: September 29, 2015, 04:50:23 pm »

I'm not sure, but I think he skipped Japan.  Which is an odd one to include in the original list of examples, because it transitioned from dictatorship into democracy explicitly under US aegis - a US imposed constitution under US military occupation.  I mean, I'm not fond of LDP dominance, but it wasn't really undemocratic.  The US didn't prop up right-wing dictators there or in West Germany.

EDIT:
That said, they *did* support dictators in Taiwan.  Taiwan didn't leave the KMT-dominated autocracy and institute democratic reforms until after Chiang Kai-shek died, with the reforms taking place over the course of the 70s and 80s.  So, actually, he might have skipped Taiwan.  It's also worth noting that the beginning of democratic reforms in Korea is very...suspicious.  The motivations of the person who killed Park Chung-hee have been ascribed to everything from personal revenge to greed to idealism to a CIA plot. 
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 04:55:38 pm by Culise »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4671 on: September 29, 2015, 04:54:49 pm »

Kuwait is democratic-ish, but still a monarchy. And it owes that more to Britain and its own leaders than the US.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #4672 on: September 29, 2015, 04:59:23 pm »

EDIT: Scratch that, I conflated two arguments by accident.  ^_^
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 05:02:28 pm by Culise »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4673 on: September 29, 2015, 05:52:51 pm »

Regardless of the 6-day war, the Egyptian dictatorship under Mubarak was the second-largest recipient of US military aid worldwide (excluding NATO countries). So, maniac, the early 1970's wants their geopolitics back. You might as well cite Charlemagnes campaigns for how relevant the 6 day war is to the alliances that existed in the modern period leading up to and following 9/11.

The three big allies of the USA (until the Arab Spring messed things up) were Israel, Egypt and Saudi Arabia. This can completely explain why the 9/11 hijackers came from the countries they did, and did not in fact include any Syrians, Iranians or Iraqis.

Saudi Arabia: big US ally, brutal dictatorship, and the bulk of the 911 terrorists targeting America
Egypt: big US ally, brutal dictatorship, and an Egyptian joined the 911 attack
Lebanon: under Israeli occupation for many decades (and an occupation=dictatorship) and one of them joined the terrorists in 911
UAE: although smaller, they are a brutal dictatorship, strong US ally (they were a major US base location in gulf war 1), and provided another two terrorists in 911

It's not fanciful at all, and none of the stuff mainaic mentioned such as us not propping up Syria or other anti-US countries is relevant whatsoever, since those people weren't involved in planning any of this. Everyone involved was from a country where it was well known that the US was backing the dictators.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 05:56:35 pm by Reelya »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4674 on: September 29, 2015, 05:59:46 pm »

Regardless of the 6-day war, the Egyptian dictatorship under Mubarak was the second-largest recipient of US military aid worldwide (excluding NATO countries). So, maniac, the early 1970's wants their geopolitics back.

Kinda my point?

a complicated political environment
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4675 on: September 29, 2015, 06:02:20 pm »

The 90s called, they want their geopolitics back.  Cuz this stuff is 20 years out of date, if that.  Here's a little event that happened not terribly recently:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six-Day_War

Egypt, Jordan, Syria and Lebanon attacked a US ally.  Ain't it weird how regimes we were "propping up" could act directly against American aims?  Ain't it weird how they had so much Soviet equipment?

No, you said this, and it's bullshit. Because USA was in fact propping up Egypt in the 80's and 90's and 2000's. So whether the previous government was soviet-backed is a complete red herring. It's about as relevant as asking about Kaiser Willhelms direct involvement in WWII.

And it's not 90's geopolitics, because USA propped up Mubarak even more under Bush than they did before. This propping up goes right up to the Arab Spring.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 06:04:58 pm by Reelya »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4676 on: September 29, 2015, 06:04:50 pm »

So whether the previous government was soviet-backed is a complete red herring.

Well then it's a good thing that wasn't my argument.  My argument was that it was a complicated political situation where the US no more unilaterally dictated their foreign policy then China unilaterally dictates American foreign policy.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4677 on: September 29, 2015, 06:06:05 pm »

When you give one faction $20 billion worth of weapons you're making a political statement, even if you state it's just about stability.

Add to that the $30 billion of additional aid for Egypt, and tell me that they weren't dependent on the USA to the point that it would affect their foreign relations. You don't just pump $50 billion into a poor country and not expect this to totally shape their political and economic outlook.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 06:07:51 pm by Reelya »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4678 on: September 29, 2015, 06:07:42 pm »

When you give one faction $20 billion worth of weapons you're making a political statement, even if you state it's just about stability.

Yes, yes you do.  And we should judge US on that 20 billion without acting like the US is responsible for everything Egypt did in the past fifty years.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4679 on: September 29, 2015, 06:09:29 pm »

Wow, the stupid is strong in this thread. Also, apparently I become very blunt when drunk.

P.S. I <3 mainiac

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 ... 310 311 [312] 313 314 ... 1342