Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 280 281 [282] 283 284 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1547088 times)

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread- Voting Trump/Wallace in '168
« Reply #4215 on: September 11, 2015, 09:46:02 am »

(Kerry kinda sucks)
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4216 on: September 11, 2015, 10:14:58 am »

John Bolton. His temperament is perfectly suited to Trump.

For those of you who don't remember, John Bolton was Undersecreatary of State for Arms Control and International Security during the run-up to the Iraq War. Later, he was ambassador to the UN for 11 months, where mostly he just insulted US allies and called for the dissolution of the UN. He also led the US to pull out of the ICC, the 1972 Biological Weapons Convention, and pushed to reduce funding for the Nunn-Lugar Cooperative Threat Reduction program (where we helped Russia dispose of fissile stockpiles and make sure their nuke scientists were getting a decent paycheck so they weren't tempted to go rogue).

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4217 on: September 11, 2015, 04:22:34 pm »

Rick Perry is now OUTTA the race.

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/09/rick-perry-drops-out-presidential-race-213569 I saw it on CNN, but here's a linkage. It's a short article because it was like 5, 10 min ago that he dropped out.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 04:26:09 pm by smjjames »

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #4218 on: September 11, 2015, 04:26:09 pm »

Rick Perry confirmed for candidate with best sense of reality. Give him the nomination.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4219 on: September 11, 2015, 04:32:27 pm »

I wonder how many more will drop out between now and the 16th, besides Gilmore, who has already been pushed into complete irrelevancy.

In any case, it'll give the others a little more of a chance to try and capture that moment of strength and post-debate boost Fiorina got last time.

Edit: You know, I wonder, if it comes down to two in the first round, will CNN shunt them into the main debate? Unless it's down to Santorum and Jindal, out of those still in the first round, those two probably have the most potential.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 04:36:28 pm by smjjames »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4220 on: September 11, 2015, 06:03:38 pm »

Rick Perry confirmed for candidate with best sense of reality. Give him the nomination.

"We have a tremendous field—the best in a generation—so I step aside knowing our party is in good hands," Perry said

You were saying?  :P

New CNN poll out showing Clinton's national lead down to just +10 over Sanders, 37-27, *and* showing Clinton tied with Trump and losing to Bush and Carson, while Biden beats Trump and Bush but loses narrowly to Carson. However, this poll needs to be taken with not just a grain of salt, but a whole fucking salt lick.

Looking at the crosstabs, their sample for the Dem polling (259 registered voters who identify Democrat and 136 independents who lean Democrat) was entirely white, entirely urban/suburban, entirely 50+ and entirely college-educated. I'm not even sure how the hell you do that unless you only polled retirement homes for Jews in Florida, or someone just fucked up the reporting.

Needless to say, that's not a representative sample. Though it's interesting to debate whether it's an undercount or overcount for Clinton. Lack of rural and non-college educated Democrats would seem to undercount Clinton's base, but the lack of college-age voters undercounts Sanders' base, while the lack of minorities undercounts Biden's base (see post a few pages back where Biden had overwhelming positives with the African-American community).

Also, their demographic breakdown was as follows:

Democrat: 259 (27.8%)
Independent (Lean D): 136
Independent (no lean): 61 (39.1% for all independents)
Independent (Lean R): 167
Republican: 307 (33%)
Total: 930

According to Gallup from the beginning of this year, the makeup of the US electorate is:
Democrat: 30%
Independent: 43%
Republican: 26%

So there's a statistically significant tilt toward under-representing Democrats and Independents and over-representing Republicans.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4222 on: September 11, 2015, 08:02:27 pm »

You know. I hadn't noticed. But it's apparently looking fairly likely (Though worth note, I haven't done much but run into someone else talking about the subject and decided to skim over the article they used. May be problems with that one, ha.) we're going to have another shutdown within the next month or two. Budgeting issues again, the iran deal, and apparently some lackwits willing to bring the entire system to a halt to defund Planned Parenthood (over a questionable issue the program in question isn't even receiving federal funds for). Plus some other stuff.

That's... just great. Bloody hell. Here we go again.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 08:05:11 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4223 on: September 11, 2015, 08:08:51 pm »

Can't we just fire/impeach/whatever them for conspiring to shutdown the government every year or something? ::)
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4224 on: September 11, 2015, 08:09:35 pm »

... didn't realize you were actually being serious, Isp, or recognize the context. Hadn't noticed some of the rightwing crazies were trying harder than normal to shit on women and parents :-\
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4225 on: September 11, 2015, 08:10:30 pm »

If they didn't want to have a government they shouldn't have run for congress. :P

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4226 on: September 11, 2015, 08:19:19 pm »

still not sure why congress has to work with the president but the president doesn't have to work with congress. thought that was the reason we don't have a parliamentary government. explain plz.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4227 on: September 11, 2015, 10:05:13 pm »

still not sure why congress has to work with the president but the president doesn't have to work with congress. thought that was the reason we don't have a parliamentary government. explain plz.
President can't work with something that doesn't fucking work, period.

For all the conservative hand-wringing about abuse of executive orders (and for the record, I don't like the precedent it sets either), they're the ones who set Congress up into permanent gridlock mode. They thought they could make Obama the least effective President ever, and instead they just made themselves the least effective Congress ever.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4229 on: September 12, 2015, 05:02:47 am »

More like RIP Perry
Pages: 1 ... 280 281 [282] 283 284 ... 1342