Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 278 279 [280] 281 282 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1546792 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread- Voting Trump/Wallace in '168
« Reply #4185 on: September 09, 2015, 09:20:09 am »

...Are you being sarcastic now?
Love, scriver~

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4186 on: September 09, 2015, 09:31:07 am »

...Are you being sarcastic now?

No...

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4187 on: September 09, 2015, 09:49:52 am »

Huh.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4188 on: September 09, 2015, 11:07:06 am »

So interestingly, the nomination race is starting to creep into North Carolina, with Bernie Sanders in Greensboro this Sunday, and Jeb Bush in Garner (a suburb of Raleigh) this afternoon.

In past cycles, we were an afterthought at best because the state's primary was in early May, long after the primaries were typically decided. But two years ago, our harebrained legislature passed a law moving the primary date to the first Tuesday after the SC primary. Which moved us up to February 23 and crossed a line in the sand that the RNC had made, that nobody could jump ahead of Super Tuesday (other than the states already traditionally out in front) or they'd be penalized half their delegates to the convention.

The DNC had a similar rule but didn't threaten to enforce it, as the legislature is overwhelmingly Republican, meaning that Democrats had no role in the snafu and no way to reverse it.
The legislature eventually caved and untethered it from SC, but was facing a $10 million+ pricetag to hold two separate primaries -- one for President, and the rest of the races on May 3 as usual.

So now they're planning on moving ALL the primaries (including local and statewide races) to March 15. Which has some interesting spillover benefits for incumbents in that it doesn't give their opponents nearly as much time to organize and campaign. Another change that was made is that previously our delegates were a proportional allocation. Now the GOP is planning on rewriting the primary law so that it's a winner-take-all event. We're so fucking desperate to be relevant that we've basically dipped ourselves in chocolate, put on a red satin bow, and called out "Yoo-hoo, come get me, boys!" in a sexy voice. (Which, considering the people doing this are almost entirely flabby old white guys...yeah, I'm sorry for the mental image).

The DNC also forbids winner-take-all allocation, but again...the DNC is not likely to penalize North Carolina because the Dems here are utterly powerless.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In a side piece, one of my former professors had an op-ed piece locally that called into question the recent SurveyUSA poll that showed Trump beating Clinton (the one that I said was an outlier and not to take too seriously). One of the things he noticed was that in the crosstabs, it showed 31% of Hispanics saying they would vote for Trump. The same Trump that seems determined to get 0% of the Hispanic vote. He noted that Romney only got 27% of the Hispanic vote, and there's no reason to think Trump is more well-liked in the Hispanic community than Romney was. Especially given the plethora of data showing Trump has ridiculously low favorability ratings with them.

It also showed 25% of African-Americans voting for Trump, when Democrats have won 90+% of the black vote for every candidate in the last 50 years. Again, no significant reason to think Trump would more than double the best Republican showing in the last half-century with black voters.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4189 on: September 09, 2015, 11:11:29 am »

Garner (a suburb of Raleigh)
Generous.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4190 on: September 09, 2015, 11:29:58 am »

Garner (a suburb of Raleigh)
Generous.
Hey, it's up to 27K population...I'd say that qualifies. It's not like it's Lizard Lick.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4192 on: September 09, 2015, 12:22:29 pm »

It's not like it's Lizard Lick.
Sounds like a fine place to start a business.
*cough*

And yeah, it's a real place. And it's only about 30 minutes from downtown Raleigh. You transition from urban->rural->"paddle faster, I hear banjos" disturbingly fast in this state.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4193 on: September 09, 2015, 12:40:26 pm »

And after that you get to the other Carolina. HEYOO
Love, scriver~

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4194 on: September 09, 2015, 01:00:40 pm »

And if you go too far north you end up in virginia instead.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4195 on: September 09, 2015, 07:32:42 pm »

You know, it would be nice if there was a candidate who was anti-establishment like trump and carson, strong like Teddy Roosevelt (or at least stronger than Obama for one), but not foaming with BS like trump is........

I'm just getting that off my chest and yes I know we gotta deal with the cards that we got dealt, so to speak.

Also, I feel like the Democrat debate can't come soon enough..........

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4196 on: September 09, 2015, 07:33:43 pm »

You know, it would be nice if there was a candidate who was anti-establishment like trump and carson, strong like Teddy Roosevelt (or at least stronger than Obama for one), but not foaming with BS like trump is........
RONPAUL2012?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4197 on: September 09, 2015, 07:58:29 pm »

RONPAUL2012?

I said NOT foaming with BS. Also, he's a massive isolationist.

Edit: Also, Trump went there and criticized Carly Fiorinas looks (who looks no worse than Hillary TBH), pfft. My response would be 'Have you ever looked in a mirror? You're not exactly young yourself.' The pundits say it may or may not ruin Trump, but I would just give it a momentary O.o and go pfft, and move on since it's just another political attack and the usual that you get from Trump.

He's pretty much broken all the golden rules of campaigning by now.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 08:18:47 pm by smjjames »

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4198 on: September 09, 2015, 11:24:01 pm »

Trump's just riding a wave of "fuck the system", I imagine his shit will get old real quick as we approach the nominations.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4199 on: September 09, 2015, 11:47:31 pm »

Trump's just riding a wave of "fuck the system", I imagine his shit will get old real quick as we approach the nominations.
No, it won't.  Cause the system, as many people see it, has been malfunctioning for a while now.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation
Pages: 1 ... 278 279 [280] 281 282 ... 1342