Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 266 267 [268] 269 270 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1546306 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: Donald Trump's Narcissism Appreciation Megathread
« Reply #4005 on: August 28, 2015, 08:42:04 pm »

I'm just against organizations that generally aren't very well-behaved, especially when it comes to the protection and expansion of their own privilege and influence, gaining access to more powerful and sophisticated tools.

But I'm also of the opinion that no one should have any business creating anything for the sole purpose of more effectively causing harm to other human beings.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4006 on: August 28, 2015, 08:46:44 pm »

I'm just against organizations that generally aren't very well-behaved, especially when it comes to the protection and expansion of their own privilege and influence, gaining access to more powerful and sophisticated tools.

But I'm also of the opinion that no one should have any business creating anything for the sole purpose of more effectively causing harm to other human beings.

Like the IRS and taxes? heh

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4007 on: August 28, 2015, 08:48:34 pm »

I'm just against organizations that generally aren't very well-behaved

generally aren't very well-behaved
I'm...not sure a few police officers making bad choices = police officers are generally poorly behaved.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4008 on: August 28, 2015, 08:57:47 pm »

... SG didn't really say police officers specifically (though we'd both probably argue it's not just an issue of a "few" misbehaving), he said the organization as a whole. Which... that's pretty accurate. The blue wall, the militarization, the open abuse of authority (see stuff like civil forfeiture, speed traps, racial profiling, abuse of protesters, activists, etc., and so on, and so forth) in more cases than would be if the general institution didn't have problems, there's just sort of a list. It's been becoming increasingly evident that the general law enforcement infrastructure in the US has some pretty major and damnably endemic issues.

E: It's probably a better discussion for the police abuse thread loitering some number of pages back, though, unless one of the folks gearing up for the primary is actually running with policy related to law enforcement as a major (or even noted, really) issue. I'd be kinda' surprised if any of 'em were really talking about it, though.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 09:08:56 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4009 on: August 28, 2015, 09:41:25 pm »

E: It's probably a better discussion for the police abuse thread loitering some number of pages back, though, unless one of the folks gearing up for the primary is actually running with policy related to law enforcement as a major (or even noted, really) issue. I'd be kinda' surprised if any of 'em were really talking about it, though.

Sanders has spoken out on the issue a decent amount.  Certainly much more than anyone else, to my knowledge (not saying much).

And no... I wasn't saying police officers, specifically, and especially not individual police officers.  I was talking about the behavior of law enforcement and the government as a whole as an organization that has plenty of non-debatable history of leveraging its resources on behalf of its own interests or the interests of corrupting influences independently of or directly counter to the interests of the population they're supposed to be working for.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 09:45:45 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4010 on: August 28, 2015, 10:19:27 pm »

I'm just against organizations that generally aren't very well-behaved

generally aren't very well-behaved
I'm...not sure a few police officers making bad choices = police officers are generally poorly behaved.

If you'll take a gander over at the abusive policing thread, you'll see that its quite a bit more then "a few". I can't find the exact link amidst all the other horrific abuse stuff, but there's at least one image I found a while ago which was a compilation of a whole bunch of said stuff. I spent nearly an hour scrolling down the thing before I gave up because it was too depressing. If the majority of police officers, at least in the U.S., AREN'T abusive fucks, they're not doing enough to police those who ARE.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #4011 on: August 29, 2015, 01:05:21 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This. Have you ever heard of the "Blue Wall of Silence"? Doesn't engender much in the way of trust in our police force.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4012 on: August 29, 2015, 08:21:11 am »

"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #4013 on: August 29, 2015, 12:19:42 pm »

Let's not feed the Trump.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #4014 on: August 29, 2015, 02:33:08 pm »

I can't help but thinking of Chris-chan's use of "China" when I watch that.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4015 on: August 29, 2015, 03:11:16 pm »

LET'S TALK ABOUT CHINA!
I think there were more Chinas there than in China. Great editing to vary the pace....kept giggling my ass off.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread- Voting Trump/Wallace in '168
« Reply #4016 on: August 30, 2015, 09:54:01 am »

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4017 on: August 30, 2015, 09:59:18 am »

The Donald has a month to announce a third-party bid.

Here's to hoping he launches one...

From the last paragraph, sounds like he might be screwed anyway if he decides not to support the nominee in the general election, which he has said he won't, so.....

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4018 on: August 30, 2015, 10:16:13 am »

It'd throw the GOP primary into chaos. They might nominate a moderate, but the hard right would split its vote, and the Democrat would almost certainly win the election. The rank-and-file would probably take away the lesson "we need to nominate a hard-right candidate in 2020 so that we don't split our vote again."

It wouldn't be a good thing for anyone in the long run, but my god, it would be entertaining.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4019 on: August 30, 2015, 10:47:51 am »

The Democrats will almost certainly win the election pretty much regardless of what happens, unless they suffer an incredible implosion followed by a revived Ronald Reagan being the Republican nominee.
Even the avatars expire eventually.
Pages: 1 ... 266 267 [268] 269 270 ... 1342