Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 240 241 [242] 243 244 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1545850 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Donald Trump's Narcissism Appreciation Megathread
« Reply #3615 on: August 17, 2015, 03:24:54 pm »

Clinton is probably going to win because Clinton is what mainstream centrist democrats want. 
ftfy

It's more that the Democratic demographic seemed to have solidified their support around one candidate extremely early, rather than y'know....having a primary process. Also, the paucity of challengers. It'd be a different thing if Hillary had been VP. Veeps are kind of the heir-apparent to a two-term Presidency, so it would make sense.

I, for one, was a little put off by the fact that the party establishment kinda went "lolnope" at the concept of a Joe Biden run (and is STILL lolnoping it) and immediately flocked to Clinton and *only* Clinton.

EDIT: Oh, and in case you hadn't heard, Donald Trump is Batman.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 03:26:47 pm by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3616 on: August 17, 2015, 03:31:01 pm »

Anyone who thinks that makes this a coronation should really explain their alternative form of democracy where having the support of the majority doesn't make you the frontrunner.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3617 on: August 17, 2015, 03:38:44 pm »

Ah yes...democracy as "tyranny of the majority". A favorite definition by those who are...y'know, IN THE FUCKING MAJORITY.

I'm not saying she doesn't deserve frontrunner status, I'm saying that maybe, just maybe, she should have to work for it a little harder? Rather than getting it by default because nobody else but Bernie and a couple of people most folks have never heard of (and who aren't substantially different from her) are running, which in turn is partly because her poll numbers are so daunting that most viable candidates are saying "fuck that, I'll wait till 2020".

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3618 on: August 17, 2015, 03:42:53 pm »

... well, she'll have to work harder for it just as soon as enough of the voters care enough to make her. Probably not going to happen this cycle. Maybe for her second term, assuming age hasn't killed her by that point.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3620 on: August 17, 2015, 03:51:20 pm »

What does working harder for it entail?  Please, please, be specific.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3621 on: August 17, 2015, 04:36:54 pm »

How about not having a 60% poll rating on the day she announced? Granted, she had first-mover status, so the choice was between her and hypothetical candidates who hadn't declared (like Warren) or "Undecided". But you would typically expect a much larger body of undecided voters that far out.

Look at the GOP race -- even before the clown car got crowded, no candidate was pulling more than 20% (Chris Christie, way back in 2013 before "Trafficgate").

By comparison, in April 2007 (she announced this time in April 2015), Clinton had around 40% and that was considered almost unassailable. (spoiler: It was assailable.)

Even popular candidates typically only pull in the 20s to low 30s at the outset of their campaign. Starting at 60 makes the entire primary process seem like a bad joke. (Although that 60 has fallen significantly. Latest FOX News poll shows her lead over Sanders cut to 19, 49%-30%). There is an inherent danger in a candidate not having to really be tested in the primary.

EDIT: In a bit of news that completely went under my radar--noted Harvard Law professor, EFF scion and copyright activist Lawrence Lessig has announced that if he can raise $1 million by Labor Day, he plans to run for President. If elected, he pledges to enact substantial campaign, redistricting and electoral reforms....and then resign.

I hate to say it, but this could steal some wind from Sanders' sails if Lessig goes forward with it. At the same time....damn, that would be awesome if he pulls it off. We need a Cincinnatus President to fix some of this structural shit.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 04:45:37 pm by RedKing »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3622 on: August 17, 2015, 04:53:45 pm »

How about not having a 60% poll rating on the day she announced?

I didn't ask what would make her work harder, I asked what working harder would entail.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3623 on: August 17, 2015, 04:59:41 pm »

EDIT: In a bit of news that completely went under my radar--noted Harvard Law professor, EFF scion and copyright activist Lawrence Lessig has announced that if he can raise $1 million by Labor Day, he plans to run for President. If elected, he pledges to enact substantial campaign, redistricting and electoral reforms....and then resign.

I hate to say it, but this could steal some wind from Sanders' sails if Lessig goes forward with it. At the same time....damn, that would be awesome if he pulls it off. We need a Cincinnatus President to fix some of this structural shit.

Actually, I saw that on CNNS GPS (Global Public Square), I was a bit excited about him, but then he said he was going to run on that issue ONLY, nothing else (mono-policy candidates wouldn't do all that well, look at that 'The rent is too damn high!' guy, he did have an awesome beard though), and THEN he said he would resign as soon as he finished his goal and leave the VP to go on through it. I was like 'Wha?? That's not how it works!!'. I mean, if he is going to do that, we might as well have primaries for the VP.

Of course though, he could change his mind, but still..........

Also, Cincinnatus President?

Edit: Hillary has already been thoroughly tested, back in 2008, not that it makes her exempt from going through it again.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 05:03:31 pm by smjjames »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3624 on: August 17, 2015, 05:12:06 pm »

Cincinnatus was an early Roman patrician who had given up politics for farming, then was given dictatorial power to defend Rome in a crisis, then voluntarily relinquished them two weeks later after the nearby invading tribes had been beaten and went back to farming.

One of the few instances in history of somebody being given immense power, using it for the common good, and then voluntarily abdicating it.

@mainiac: Nevermind, this line of discussion is going nowhere. It's a moot point anyways, barring some precipitous fall from grace.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3625 on: August 18, 2015, 05:52:43 am »

Cincinnatus was an early Roman patrician who had given up politics for farming a permanent vacation at his countryside estate, then was given dictatorial power to defend Rome in a crisis, then voluntarily relinquished them two weeks later after the nearby invading tribes had been beaten and went back to farming overseeing his slave drivers.

One of the few instances in history of somebody being given immense power, using it for the common good, and then voluntarily abdicating it..

I edited a couple of details that was irrelevant to the discussion but still in need of correction ;)
Love, scriver~

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3626 on: August 18, 2015, 08:47:57 am »

The problem is that cincinatus was the exception, and not the rule.  By your own description of him, he did not want to be the dictator of rome-- he had voluntarily given up politics for farming.

The closest we have is somebody like Jimmy Carter who, after his presidency, decided to take up international charity work and farm life over continuing an overt political career.

In stark comparison to this identifying characteristic, we have people literally saying anything the public wants to hear, just for the SHOT at being in charge.  That is very much NOT what a Cincinatus type president would be doing.  Instead, they would be doing everything they could to change things from the outside, and trying to avoid being in that hot-seat-- only to end up forced into it-- and then naturally fleeing that hotseat at the nearest available opportunity.

Our current group of contenders is trying very hard to get into that hotseat, and will not willfully abdicate from it when the crisis is over.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3627 on: August 18, 2015, 03:01:57 pm »

You know, Trump seems like the kind of person who would resist as hard as possible to stay in power once he is in power....... Maybe......

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3628 on: August 18, 2015, 03:04:12 pm »

No, no. It's trump. He'll bankrupt the country, sell it to china, and then go replace putin or somethin'.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.
Pages: 1 ... 240 241 [242] 243 244 ... 1342