Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 226 227 [228] 229 230 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1545652 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 2016 Freedom Megathread- Explosions and PBR Edition
« Reply #3405 on: August 09, 2015, 10:27:22 am »

It's Bernard. Not that that's much better.

In a classic example of the Left not being able to get out of its own fucking way, Sanders' appearance in Seattle the other day was disrupted by the local BlackLivesMatter chapter, who stated they were there to "hold Sanders accountable for his actions".

Because, y'know...that time that he gunned down a fleeing black teen. Or tased an unarmed black man. Or roughed up someone in his Bernie Sanders Policemobile.

Fucking morons are the bane of every grassroots movement. Way to take a valid grievance and make it a farce.

On Hillary, let me be clear -- I vastly prefer her to anyone likely to win the Republican nomination. (I'd be interested to hear more out of Kasich and Pataki, but they're never going to win). But there are a number of people on the Left that I would prefer to Hillary. And in a cycle when the Republican party seems determined to run the most unelectable fucktards they have in their stable, it seems like a vast wasted opportunity to run yet another "safe" pro-business, security-state centrist when there are genuinely progressive candidates that could have run.

Granted, I realize there's a counter-argument that if you run a true progressive and make the election a closer contest, you are increasing the risk of getting a Walker or Huckabee or (dare I even say it) Trump into office.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3406 on: August 09, 2015, 10:31:22 am »

"Ulysses".

Ulysses was actually Grant's middle name. When he entered West Point, the records officer somehow left off the first name and added a middle initial of S, which Grant decided not to have fixed when he realized that Ulysses S. Grant got him nicknamed "Sam" (as in the patriotic icon Uncle Sam, derived from U.S. being both his initials and the initials of the country) while Hiram Ulysses Grant would have gotten him the nickname "Hug".
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3407 on: August 09, 2015, 10:34:28 am »

"Ulysses".

But yeah, "Bernie" is dorky even over here. It's what people used to use to give people dorky names even when I was a kid/teenager. Except pronounced Böööhrnie.

Ulysses would be an unusual name and probably was back then as well, but I don't see it as dorky.

@ RedKing: Chris Christie seems like he has a bit of Teddy Roosevelts personality in him, not the adventurer part obviously, though he seems more 'talk loudly and carry a big stick' than 'talk quietly and carry a big stick'.

Edit: Honestly, I'm not sure what part of Teddy Roosevelts personality would be in there, he just somehow seems a little bit like a modern day Teddy Roosevelt.

"Ulysses".

Ulysses was actually Grant's middle name. When he entered West Point, the records officer somehow left off the first name and added a middle initial of S, which Grant decided not to have fixed when he realized that Ulysses S. Grant got him nicknamed "Sam" (as in the patriotic icon Uncle Sam, derived from U.S. being both his initials and the initials of the country) while Hiram Ulysses Grant would have gotten him the nickname "Hug".

Clever of him, really clever.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 10:35:59 am by smjjames »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3408 on: August 09, 2015, 10:40:16 am »

Heh. That's pretty cool.

Ulysses would be an unusual name and probably was back then as well, but I don't see it as dorky.

Ulysses is one of those names that would probably have been ridiculous back then (or now), but are cool in hindsight. It's super pretentious and stuff. Then again, the 19th century was super weird when it came to names over here in Sweden, so maybe it was over the sea as well, and it would've fit in.

As for Bernard, that's much less dumb to me at least, by virtue of having much more weight-of-use behind it. It might not be a "cool" name or anything, but neither is 99% of all names.

Anyway, that was all from your daily scriver-interrupts-ameripolitics-to-talk-inane-stuff episode.
Love, scriver~

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3409 on: August 09, 2015, 10:42:18 am »

Yeah, Christie lost me for good at the "You can't enjoy your freedoms if you're dead" remark. That's the hallmark of a "oh god sky is falling, quick give me all the power and i'll save you" kind of guy. Couple that with the political bruiser mentality, and you get a guy I don't want anywhere near executive authority.

EDIT: 19th century America had a hard-on for names from antiquity.
If you were upper-crust, it was Greek and Roman names. My ex-wife had a great-great-great-great-great grandfather named Lysander.
If you were poor and barely literate (and Anglo-Saxon), it was pretentious Biblical names. Which are hard enough to spell when you ARE literate. In my family tree, we had Hepzikiah, Ezekiel, Zephaniah, Shadrach, Meschach and Abednego (the last three a set of triplet brothers). We also had a guy named Cassandra. No idea what that was all about.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 10:48:29 am by RedKing »

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3410 on: August 09, 2015, 10:45:15 am »

I wish Trump would declare he is also a candidate for the Dem primary.

2016 Ballot

[] Donald Trump (R)
[] Donald Trump (D)
[] Donald Trump (I)

I can't support Christie if he's going to talk about expanding the security apparatus even more than it already is.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3411 on: August 09, 2015, 10:45:33 am »

In related yesterday's news, D0nald "She was shooting blood out of her eyes like a thorny devil!" Trümp's paste-eatingly insane comment got him thrown out of a wingnut gathering organized by Erick Erickson, of all people. In any other guy's campaign this would be considered the absolute nadir, but there is no limit to Trump's stupidity and no end to the liberal Schadenfreude fest.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3412 on: August 09, 2015, 10:53:34 am »

Yeah, Christie lost me for good at the "You can't enjoy your freedoms if you're dead" remark. That's the hallmark of a "oh god sky is falling, quick give me all the power and i'll save you" kind of guy. Couple that with the political bruiser mentality, and you get a guy I don't want anywhere near executive authority.

Is that what he said at the debate? Because I didn't catch that. Also, political brusier mentality like the way Teddy Roosevelt was? Maybe it's just me trying to fit him into a definition hole I'm more familar with. Not that I'm a massive fan of Christie or anything.

Anyways, traffic-gate (why do we always add -gate to scandals these days? lol) being directly his fault or not, theres other evidence that he is a political bully.

In related yesterday's news, D0nald "She was shooting blood out of her eyes like a thorny devil!" Trümp's paste-eatingly insane comment got him thrown out of a wingnut gathering organized by Erick Erickson, of all people. In any other guy's campaign this would be considered the absolute nadir, but there is no limit to Trump's stupidity and no end to the liberal Schadenfreude fest.

They are evidently not his strain of wingnut though, and insulting the guy certainly didn't help either.

Also, even you British think it was about her having her period? lol. Trump would be an absolute nightmare for a campaign manager. Though I find it hard to imagine that a serious and competent campaign manager would want to manage Trumps campaign.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 10:56:23 am by smjjames »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3413 on: August 09, 2015, 10:59:09 am »

Do people actually think that Watergate was something to do with water, not the name of a hotel?

*shrug* I know it's a hotel though.

It's just one of those meme things that take on a life of their own.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3414 on: August 09, 2015, 10:59:09 am »

The best was when Trump put out a statement calling Erickson a loser and giving out his personal email address.
Cue Erickson reading hate mails a few hours later like:

“Why don’t you just marry the [n-word] in the White House if you’re going to reject Mr. Trump? … You’re no better than the [c-word] who lives in the White House.”

But no, let's not call Trump's supporters "crazies", that would be unfair. To crazy people.
I'd call them the smegma of America's collective asshole, but that would be an insult to...well, you get the picture.

EDIT: I want there to be a scandal about a security gate let unattended, and then a scandal that the original scandal was manufactured. That way we can talk bout Gategategate.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 11:01:03 am by RedKing »

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3415 on: August 09, 2015, 10:59:48 am »

Do people actually think that Watergate was something to do with water, not the name of a hotel?
You mean the Watergategate scandal?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3416 on: August 09, 2015, 11:02:27 am »

So what are we calling this? Bloodgate? Cause that actually sounds kind of badass.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #3417 on: August 09, 2015, 11:04:46 am »

You mean the Watergategate scandal?
Naw, convention with the "-gate" suffix is that if it's being added to a word that already ends in "gate", you drop the one at the end of that word before adding the suffix. For example, "Watergate" yields "Watergate", "Gate" yields "Gate", and "Gategate" yields "Gategate". Notably, this applies regardless of pronunciation, so that "Frigate" becomes pronounced "frih-gayt".
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3418 on: August 09, 2015, 11:06:05 am »

How else would you pronounce that?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3419 on: August 09, 2015, 11:07:40 am »

I'm surprised that he hasn't yet gotten into legal trouble* over pulling that kind of stunt with the release of personal information. Also, it makes you think 'Is he going to pull that kind of shit with world leaders that he doesn't like?', pulling that on a fellow candidate, okay fine, he's just flinging mud 19th century style, but doing it on a private citizen is a whole other thing.

*Obviously the first answer to that is that Graham, being a candidate as well, wouldn't want to get tied up in a legal fight. As for Erickson, well, it's the same as one person trying to pick a fight with a corporation, they have money, you don't.
Pages: 1 ... 226 227 [228] 229 230 ... 1342