Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 224 225 [226] 227 228 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1545596 times)

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 2016 Freedom Megathread- Explosions and PBR Edition
« Reply #3375 on: August 08, 2015, 07:16:48 am »

So admittedly, I only watched the first minute or so of the debate. But the VERY FIRST THING that happened was "Attack on Trump" and from what mom says (though she is biased admittedly) it stayed that way the whole time. I mean "War on Women"?

Did anyone else get the impression they were basically just trying to knock the guy out of the running with their questions instead of actually finding out anything important, or is my mom just seeing what she wants to see?

Also someone needs to photoshop the Attack on Titan poster to have the Colossal titan with Trump's Toupee now :P
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 07:18:31 am by BFEL »
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3376 on: August 08, 2015, 11:49:48 am »

I think Trump is an ass-clown but that seemed like a fair assessment to me.  It was pretty transparent that the questioners didn't like him.  Now it's fair that he has an extremely large amount of baggage to go after but so does Jeb Bush and they treated Jeb with kid gloves.  The other candidates they wanted to make swear fealty to the GOP, Trump they wanted to embarrass.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3377 on: August 08, 2015, 11:58:01 am »

Yeah, the first question was EXTREMELY OBVIOUSLY intended to bait Trump, I mean, obviously they don't need to ask the other candidates to swear that they won't switch to a third party (well, okay, Ted Cruz might entertain the idea).

Compared to how they treated Trump, they treated everybody else with kid gloves, not just Jeb.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3378 on: August 08, 2015, 11:59:25 am »

The irony is that there's definitely a certain breed of Republican who would be very impressed by Trump refusing to support a "RINO" come hell or high water.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #3379 on: August 08, 2015, 03:19:57 pm »

Trump is bad for the Democrats, and here's why: By ensuring that the Republicans can't win (No latino, female, or black American will vote for the Republicans at this point*), the Democrats need do nothing. They will continue their political atrophy into a moderate-conservative pro-business police party instead of Warrenite activism.

In the long run, Democrats need a strong, smart conservative party to keep them moving. The political equivalent of the relationship between the lions and the gazelles...

Trump is therefore the equivalent of this guy.

*Regardless of Trump's personal standing, the fact that he's personally insulted more than 75% of America and the rest of the party doesn't care is a black mark. And yes he's going to run as a third party, it's the only way to keep his ego running.

Frankly I would be suspicious of anyone who claims to like Trump...
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 03:25:40 pm by PTTG?? »
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3380 on: August 08, 2015, 03:23:38 pm »

Trump is bad for the Democrats, and here's why: By ensuring that the Republicans can't win (No latino, female, or black American will vote for the Republicans at this point), the Democrats need do nothing. They will continue their political atrophy into a moderate-conservative pro-business police party instead of Warrenite activism.
You imply that people want Warrenite activism... It's the same advice often given to the German SPD (Move to the left! You've forgotten the roots of your success!), but that advice has empirically been proven (at least for them) to be nothing but bullshit.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3381 on: August 08, 2015, 04:46:32 pm »

Bernie Sanders' momentum and the whole "He's actually being taken seriously by media now," imply at least some implications. Implicatingly at least.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3382 on: August 08, 2015, 05:05:52 pm »

... so if the SPD can't go further left under this assumption, how much room does that leave the dems to keep going? Can't recall what the SPD's positions are, but given they're european I can only assume they're godless commie heathens so far on the left they make a god fearing republican cry tears of blood.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3383 on: August 08, 2015, 05:19:53 pm »

Kind of hard for the Democrat party to really evolve with Hillary dominating the thing and being pre-crowned (or maybe pre-pre-crowned) as the nominee.

Would be great if the Democrats showed as much enthusiasm to run as the Republicans are, as it is, there aren't many running, though it's probably at the normal levels for the Democrats, but still....

... so if the SPD can't go further left under this assumption, how much room does that leave the dems to keep going? Can't recall what the SPD's positions are, but given they're european I can only assume they're godless commie heathens so far on the left they make a god fearing republican cry tears of blood.

Technically, the center or moderate in American politics is to the right of the center for European politics, but right now it doesn't feel like theres any true center with the two groups barely overlapping.

Unfortunately, the nature of American politics prevent someone from running as Independent and winning at the same time. Also, I have no idea how one would be able to appeal to both Democrat and Republican voters at the same time. Being an anti-establishment candidate and not being strong while not being a jerkass would definetly help for one.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 05:31:23 pm by smjjames »

Kearn

• Bay Watcher
  • insert witty tagline here
    • View Profile
i like goats

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3385 on: August 08, 2015, 06:41:12 pm »

The Donald Trump extension has made this entire forum page a glory to behold.
So admittedly, I only watched the first minute or so of the debate. But the VERY FIRST THING that happened was "Attack on "I am the only person who immediately walked out of my 'Ali G' interview" Trump" and from what mom says (though she is biased admittedly) it stayed that way the whole time. I mean "War on Women"?

Did anyone else get the impression they were basically just trying to knock the guy out of the running with their questions instead of actually finding out anything important, or is my mom just seeing what she wants to see?

Also someone needs to photoshop the Attack on Titan poster to have the Colossal titan with Donald "I am the least racist person" Trump's Toupee now :P
The irony is that there's definitely a certain breed of Republican who would be very impressed by Donald "Nobody builds walls better than me" Trump refusing to support a "RINO" come hell or high water.
Donald "I have so many websites" Trump is bad for the Democrats, and here's why: By ensuring that the Republicans can't win (No latino, female, or black American will vote for the Republicans at this point*), the Democrats need do nothing. They will continue their political atrophy into a moderate-conservative pro-business police party instead of Warrenite activism.

In the long run, Democrats need a strong, smart conservative party to keep them moving. The political equivalent of the relationship between the lions and the gazelles...

Donald "When did we beat Japan at anything?" Trump is therefore the equivalent of this guy.

*Regardless of Donald "A lot of people are switching to these really long putters, very unattractive" Trump's personal standing, the fact that he's personally insulted more than 75% of America and the rest of the party doesn't care is a black mark. And yes he's going to run as a third party, it's the only way to keep his ego running.

Frankly I would be suspicious of anyone who claims to like Donald "I'm the best 140 character writer in the world" Trump...
For my part, I would like to remind you PTTG?? that wishing for a smart conservative party to keep the democrats on their toes is even sillier than just wishing for a smart liberal party and cutting out the middle man: neither is just going to fall out of the sky one day. Something has to make them act smartly, and being in the presidential wilderness for twelve years is one way of making that happen. One of America's political parties has completely jumped ship and is horribly fractured: between the establishment and the grassroots, between the rich and the poor, between the economic and the social, between the religious and the secular, and between the moderates and the conservative. Hell, just look at how often the candidates attacked their own congressional leadership (I would say they attacked the leadership only less then Obama and Clinton), and look at how the crowd roared. In another country, the party itself would simply dissolve; here, they put on a brave face and bear it, but the consequence is tremendous division. I don't like the idea of a one-party state, but in a two party system, it's sometimes inevitable, at least for a while.
Bernie Sanders' momentum and the whole "He's actually being taken seriously by media now," imply at least some implications. Implicatingly at least.
Implications work both ways. The implication being that there is a very left-wing part of the democratic party, and we shouldn't be surprised that they want a very left-wing candidate. Meaning rumors of Clinton's death are much exaggerated.

Of course, Clinton and Sanders voted together 93% of the time, so judge for yourself.
Would be great if the Democrats showed as much enthusiasm to run as the Republicans are, as it is, there aren't many running, though it's probably at the normal levels for the Democrats, but still....
I hope to god you are joking. Seventeen candidates isn't a clown car, it's a train careening out of control with seventeen people fighting for the controls.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3386 on: August 08, 2015, 07:21:46 pm »

Trump is bad for the Democrats, and here's why: By ensuring that the Republicans can't win (No latino, female, or black American will vote for the Republicans at this point*), the Democrats need do nothing. They will continue their political atrophy into a moderate-conservative pro-business police party instead of Warrenite activism.

Except that is complete nonsense and the stronger democrats do in elections, the more progressive the country gets.

2008 didn't matter!  All it got us was the healthcare reform but that's no big deal.
2010 doesn't matter, all it got us was the sequester and that's no big deal.

Fun story about the sequester.  I use a pre-sequester computer at work because it literally took five goddamn years to manage to fit computers into the budget again.

Kind of hard for the Democrat party to really evolve with Hillary dominating the thing and being pre-crowned (or maybe pre-pre-crowned) as the nominee.

Hillary is a politician, not a king.  She only stands as far to the left as she thinks it's safe to stand.  Didn't your parents.  (or grandparents, fuck I dont know) ever tell you about how Hillary was the liberal one in the Clinton administration?  Obama genuinely surprised her with a left wing flank position on the Iraq war but Hillary has been a liberal, will continue to be a liberal and is a liberal right now.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 07:26:07 pm by mainiac »
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3387 on: August 08, 2015, 07:43:24 pm »

You know, just a liberal who prefers censorship, the security state, and free market worship. But hey, she hits the Sacred Social Positions on two or three things, so get Ready For Hillary.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3388 on: August 08, 2015, 08:25:32 pm »

Why should I trust your opinion, you meat eating fascist?
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3389 on: August 08, 2015, 08:28:13 pm »

Rip the blood!
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 224 225 [226] 227 228 ... 1342