Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 223 224 [225] 226 227 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1546064 times)

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 2016 Freedom Megathread- Explosions and PBR Edition
« Reply #3360 on: August 06, 2015, 10:08:11 pm »

I just switched to drinking generically pretty early.

Also, I would bet some sum of money that the total costs of the b52, with development, production, and modification for the ridiculous time it's been around would still be less than the boondoggle that is the f35
Even the avatars expire eventually.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3361 on: August 06, 2015, 10:08:50 pm »

Trump's closing statement was sub-par. He's also the only one who actually suggested a specific action during closing, that being repealing Obamacare.

Can anybody give me highlights on Carson and Trump? I missed everything but the last five minutes.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #3362 on: August 06, 2015, 10:17:06 pm »

Cue the backstories. Gotta get that ancestry in for the little guys. Relatability, go, go, go!

That said. I'm happy with how Kasich did. I was worried about him, but he handled himself well. The only thing that bothered me was how he had a tendency to talk too long when he had already made his point. If daughter is lesbian, I will still love her. I respect that. That's all I really needed to hear on the matter the matter. >.>
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3363 on: August 06, 2015, 10:21:12 pm »

Cue the backstories. Gotta get that ancestry in for the little guys. Relatability, go, go, go!

That said. I'm happy with how Kasich did. I was worried about him, but he handled himself well. The only thing that bothered me was how he had a tendency to talk too long when he had already made his point. If daughter is lesbian, I will still love her. I respect that. That's all I really needed to hear on the matter the matter. >.>

He needed to say something that was a tiny bit controversial controversial given the setting.  I love my daughter is not controversial.  He needs to say "I attended a gay wedding recently" (although without using those words) in order to establish himself as occupying a certain part of the field.  Log cabin republicans might be like half a percent of the GOP electorate but sealing that half a percent up firmly keeps him solidly ahead of Perry.  It doesn't let him outrun the bear but it might let him outrun Perry and Carson and Huckabee until it's just him and Paul and whoever is at the top.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3364 on: August 06, 2015, 10:23:20 pm »

Trump's closing statement was sub-par. He's also the only one who actually suggested a specific action during closing, that being repealing Obamacare.

Can anybody give me highlights on Carson and Trump? I missed everything but the last five minutes.
Carson came off well, lot of people seemed to have positive thoughts about him. It plays to his strengths though: when expectations are so low, doing well comes off really strong. Got some good jokes in, etc.

Trump was fiery from the starting line, and never really stopped.

One of the big talking points was the Christie-Paul fight. I think the consensus (to the extent to that that is possible yet) is that Paul was hurt in that argument, but not in the sort of way that makes Christie looks good.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 10:25:45 pm by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3365 on: August 06, 2015, 10:26:32 pm »

Carson came off well, lot of people seemed to have positive thoughts about him. It plays to his strengths though: when expectations are so low, doing well comes off really strong. Got some good jokes in, etc.

Trump was fiery from the starting line, and never really stopped.

Trump also kept dodging the questions from the moderators most of the time and not even answering them. You could tell that they were pretty frustrated with Trump.

Carson may have shot himself in the foot with the response to the question on Hillary (or whoever the Democratic nominee is), it's just the way he worded the whole response that seemed like he shot himself in the foot, I dunno.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #3366 on: August 06, 2015, 10:32:44 pm »

Aye. At least in Ohio, we never legalized gay marriage, so it is a bit controversial indeed. I'm curious to see if any of the guys at where I work will bring that up tomorrow. I live in a red heart county, so it's interesting to hear what the people redder than I am have to say on the matter.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3367 on: August 06, 2015, 10:35:28 pm »

Trump also kept dodging the questions from the moderators most of the time and not even answering them. You could tell that they were pretty frustrated with Trump.
To be fair to Trump (not that he'd return the favor), I think there was, and is, a huge pressure on the man. He came in there upsetting Fox's established formula, and they went after him harder than others. A lot of people in the media have been quick to pronounce his death, and this most recent debate was no exception; I want to see more about his polls before I make comments. Surely he's the most actively disliked candidate (no one got as many boos), but quite a few of his comments got wild applause.

More polls are needed to define Trump. Trump, unlike most of the candidates, has been immune to media attention, and his support in the party has little effect on his candidacy. The ones floating at the bottom need the attention to survive, or they'll shrivel up for lack of funds and support.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3368 on: August 06, 2015, 10:38:58 pm »

To be fair to Trump (not that he'd return the favor), I think there was, and is, a huge pressure on the man. He came in there upsetting Fox's established formula, and they went after him harder than others. A lot of people in the media have been quick to pronounce his death, and this most recent debate was no exception; I want to see more about his polls before I make comments. Surely he's the most actively disliked candidate (no one got as many boos), but quite a few of his comments got wild applause.

More polls are needed to define Trump. Trump, unlike most of the candidates, has been immune to media attention, and his support in the party has little effect on his candidacy. The ones floating at the bottom need the attention to survive, or they'll shrivel up for lack of funds and support.

There is also pressure on him to actually define policy, which he WILL have to do at some point, especially as the candidate field narrows down and they interact with each other more on stage. Which is what it seemed like they were trying to do.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 10:40:50 pm by smjjames »

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3369 on: August 06, 2015, 10:50:20 pm »

There is also pressure on him to actually define policy, which he WILL have to do at some point, especially as the candidate field narrows down and they interact with each other more on stage. Which is what it seemed like they were trying to do.
His performance tonight indicates to me that he will never do this. If there was a time to do this, it would have been tonight, and while we can say Fox News hardly gave him the chance, he clearly made the decision that policy is for other people. I said this earlier: When you buy Trump, you are not buying "Trump's policy positions". You are buying THE TRUMP. As a New Yorker, I feel the need the educate everyone here about Trump: his entire thing, in life, is being DONALD TRUMP. He has literally built a business empire almost entirely on his name, personality, and style of business; to imagine he won't attempt to do the same with a political campaign is silly to the point of absurdity.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #3370 on: August 06, 2015, 11:02:05 pm »

My personal takeaways from the debate:

A. I wanted to watch Trump collapse like a house of rotten cards, and I got to see it.

B. I've noted before that I've been something of a Paul supporter, but I didn't really feel like he stood out this debate, which disappointed me. I don't think he crashed and burned, but he didn't have the momentum I want. I will note that I don't really see the Christie-Paul fight as the Christie victory people say it was.

C. I felt like Rubio had the best showing here. I barely had any idea who he was before this debate... but he made several statements which were incredibly eloquent, were compassionate, and most importantly actually tried to look forward. He's definitely real high up on my radar now.

D. Fox's analysis said Huckabee was good. I don't get that. I found him so non-notable that I literally forgot Huckabee was at the debate.

E. Walker was one of the biggest losers, I think. He just... well, he didn't answer anything particularly well, just, no momentum whatsoever.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3371 on: August 06, 2015, 11:09:40 pm »

His performance tonight indicates to me that he will never do this. If there was a time to do this, it would have been tonight, and while we can say Fox News hardly gave him the chance, he clearly made the decision that policy is for other people. I said this earlier: When you buy Trump, you are not buying "Trump's policy positions". You are buying THE TRUMP. As a New Yorker, I feel the need the educate everyone here about Trump: his entire thing, in life, is being DONALD TRUMP. He has literally built a business empire almost entirely on his name, personality, and style of business; to imagine he won't attempt to do the same with a political campaign is silly to the point of absurdity.

It may be an advantage right now because his opponents can't rip him so easily on policy when they don't know his full policy right now, but the inability to define policy will trip him up sooner or later.

That's why I thought the question about small business should have been aimed at Trump because, well, DOES he have an answer to that? Not to mention that small business is exactly the opposite of what he represents.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 11:20:46 pm by smjjames »

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3372 on: August 06, 2015, 11:50:26 pm »

It may be an advantage right now because his opponents can't rip him so easily on policy when they don't know his full policy right now, but the inability to define policy will trip him up sooner or later.

That's why I thought the question about small business should have been aimed at Trump because, well, DOES he have an answer to that?
Okay, I see the issue with the conversation here. You've come to think of Trump as a long-term candidate; by that standard, he underperformed. I see Trump as a glorious media maelstrom made manifest - the human form of a perfect storm of all the sins of modern media and what it represents, does, and creates - and by that standard he did pretty well. We need polls: his candidacy hinges entirely on support from the grass-roots, since he is largely immune to party elites' concern about electability (largely because he already alienated them).

I sense that this debate did not change the standings as much as people expect it will. The thing to really watch, I think, is how it will affect candidates at the bottom: the effect of the debates can be overstated, but when you are polling single digits, any swings are huge. Carly Fiorina, I hear, did extraordinarily well in the second-tier debate, so maybe we'll see her next time. Carson was so thoroughly under-performing in the polls that his strong showing here will be a huge shot of adrenaline into his feeble campaign. Christie is a wild card, but I don't think he came off all that well; of course, people were on the verge of forgetting him entirely, and any attention is good attention. Kasich seemed fairly positive, considering. I think Rand Paul did well in his faction, but poorly among people who aren't inclined to support him. I don't know how Huckabee will be received.

We need time to let it stew. A few internet polls (as reliable as those are) on the winner have been pretty consistent: roughly one third picked Trump, with Carson following behind.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3373 on: August 07, 2015, 05:16:23 am »

I took a slight "head start" into the drinking game, and I must've fallen asleep several hours before the debate even started. But no matter, that thing is exquisitely painful regardless of your state of inebriation.

I will now proceed to atone for my sins of intemperance by playing the Trumpest Moments on repeat.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3374 on: August 07, 2015, 10:12:16 am »

By the way, if any of you want to show marks on the drinking game list, it'd be interesting to see everything that got hit.

"Someone mispronouncing a word in an amusing fashion"

Perry had a minor flub with saying Iran instead of Iraq (mentioned it earlier in the thread), I actually had to ask ask for sure if he said that because the captions screw up occasionally. Rand Paul may or may not have had a similar kind of screwup by appearing to imply that Israel also burns our flag, or maybe it was just a poorly worded statement and he meant that Israels flag gets burnt as well, or maybe it was the captions screwing up, not sure.

Also, they should have fielded that electability question that they did in the second tier, in the first tier as well. Trump would probably just say something ego-inflating anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 223 224 [225] 226 227 ... 1342