Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 209 210 [211] 212 213 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1544746 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 2016 Freedom Megathread- Explosions and PBR Edition
« Reply #3150 on: August 01, 2015, 10:02:06 am »

Trump's business strategy is to leverage the hell out of his company to give him cash to be aggressive, then use bookkeeping tricks to shunt all the losses into one portion of his company that he can isolate from the rest of the structure and let go bankrupt.

That shit doesn't work when you're running a country. Unless he plans on getting rid of the national debt by having Alaska buy up $4 trillion in savings bonds, and then sells them back to Russia and cancels the bonds.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3151 on: August 01, 2015, 10:06:22 am »

Thats why I would like to see his detailed plan on getting rid of the debt, not "I WILL MAKE US RICHER".

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3152 on: August 01, 2015, 10:51:04 am »

The United States government isn't supposed to turn a profit, for the absolute most important factor.

To be fair, running in the red forever isn't standard operating procedure either.

I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3153 on: August 01, 2015, 11:10:05 am »

The United States government isn't supposed to turn a profit, for the absolute most important factor.

To be fair, running in the red forever isn't standard operating procedure either.
Well it is, but that's arguably a problem as well.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3154 on: August 01, 2015, 11:22:01 am »

Yes it is!  Under an ideal fiscal and monetary regime a country at the technology frontier should be running a deficit slightly more then half the time.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3155 on: August 01, 2015, 11:42:44 am »

Yes it is!  Under an ideal fiscal and monetary regime a country at the technology frontier should be running a deficit slightly more then half the time.

Not a 16+ trillion deficit though....

It's one thing to have a debt, but it's another to let it keep piling up.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3156 on: August 01, 2015, 11:43:11 am »

Slightly more than half the time != forever.

Also, slightly more than half the time != what's being done right now. There's a reason Schäuble considers his 'black zero' an  important achievement.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #3157 on: August 01, 2015, 12:07:16 pm »

Not a 16+ trillion deficit though....

It's one thing to have a debt, but it's another to let it keep piling up.
If the growth from adding more debt is worth more than the interest on said debt, it is in the state's best interests to add more debt. If it is not, paying down debt is in the best interest of the state. Simple as that. This holds true regardless of how much debt you do or do not hold.

Course, the hard part is a good analysis of the future value of the use of the new debt.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3158 on: August 01, 2015, 02:18:56 pm »

Standard Operating Procedure != forever

And yes, under 16 trillion dollar debt there is no reason to think these things change.  Trying to apply common sense to economics is like trying to apply common sense to engineering.  A lot of things that you dont think are possible are in fact no only possible but very, very advisable.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #3159 on: August 02, 2015, 07:19:00 am »

All the more reason that, should we entertain the idea that Trump could win (he can't), should he win (he won't) it would only end in economic and political disaster.
Honestly I'm pretty sure this is true of ANY candidate for President. Personally I think at least Trump would end in a fun, interesting to watch disaster.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #3160 on: August 02, 2015, 10:08:21 am »

Standard Operating Procedure for the country that issues the Petrodollar is very different from Standard Operating Procedure of a country (or countries) that doesn't have anything to motivate investors buying debt indefinitely (though the former case certainly isn't guaranteed to last forever).
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3161 on: August 02, 2015, 10:37:30 am »

All the more reason that, should we entertain the idea that Trump could win (he can't), should he win (he won't) it would only end in economic and political disaster.
Honestly I'm pretty sure this is true of ANY candidate for President. Personally I think at least Trump would end in a fun, interesting to watch disaster.

The Onion was right: Everyone is loving Trump to bits, and why not? He's a man of many parts, after all:

• Hardcore wingnuts love him because he's going to save the GOP from dickless cuckservatives.
  • Center-right conservatives love him because he's going to fuck the Libruls without restraint or mercy (regardless of damage to the GOP).
  • Liberals love him because he's going to utterly destroy the GOP once and for all.
  • The Popcorn Crowd loves him for the infinite keks.

I'm calling it now: Donald Trump 45th PRESIDENT of the YOO-NIGH-TED-STEEEHTS!!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3162 on: August 03, 2015, 12:47:06 pm »

Former Virginia Gov. Jim Gilmore quietly joins in the GOP pack

He'll probably barely even register in the polls joining in so late, so he might not even be in the lower tier set at all for the August 6th debate.

Edit: Derp, forgot the name......
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 01:04:30 pm by smjjames »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3163 on: August 03, 2015, 01:42:43 pm »

Former Virginia Gov. Jim Gilmore quietly joins in the GOP pack

He'll probably barely even register in the polls joining in so late, so he might not even be in the lower tier set at all for the August 6th debate.

Edit: Derp, forgot the name......

Based on his Wikipedia page, he's far too moderate to attract the far right, isn't moderate enough to attract Democrats, and his political positions don't really stand out enough to differentiate himself among the core conservative base, so I don't know why he's even bothering to run. Which is a shame, as his tax cuts in office really did seem to be aimed at boosting the middle class, and he appears to have been on pretty good standing with the black community on racial issues, making him a prodigy by GOP standards. Of course, I don't live in Virginia, so he may well have been terrible without me knowing about it.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3164 on: August 03, 2015, 01:44:43 pm »

Just a quick word to thanks everyone using the name "Donald Trump" in their posts. This plugin truly is the greatest.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 ... 209 210 [211] 212 213 ... 1342