Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1550934 times)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 2016 Election Megathread- It Was Inevitable
« Reply #2115 on: June 15, 2015, 09:32:51 am »

Kinda like, I've gathered up enough unrestricted money, time to officially get into the game where most of my opponents gathered up their money under restrictions.

Yup.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2116 on: June 15, 2015, 02:54:31 pm »

Combination opinion polling for likely Republican candidates continues to point to a significant problem as the Presidential race gets close to organized debates.  The problem: nobody knows who is or is not significant enough to bother inviting and giving screen time.

Jeb Bush, Mike Huckabee, Scott Walker, Macro Rubio and Ben Carson are currently leading opinion polling, a marginal change from last month's leaders of Bush, Huckabee, Walker, and Ted Cruz.  Everything in the preceding lists is meaningless, because when you consider the 4-6% margin of error in most early polling, anyone could be currently leading, and it would only be a lead of fractions.  Well, anyone except George Pataki, coming in at an unmatched zero percent both months running.

"Anyone not listed" is also poling at essentially zero percent, the surest possible sign that the candidacy field is oversaturated when people literally can't think of anyone else they'd want to see.  Ironically, even when nobody can think of anyone else to nominate, "None of the choices available" is currently way out ahead of all actual people with a combined 22%.

So far, everything is going pretty much exactly like 2012.

EDIT: Just read through some more of that report, and this really stuck out to me:

Fewer GOP voters say that abortion or education will be a litmus test in their choice for the party’s 2016 nominee.  Just under half (48%) say they will only support a candidate who agrees with them on abortion, 27% might support someone they disagree with, and 19% say that a candidate’s abortion position is not an important factor in their vote choice.

Finally, 34% say they would only vote for a candidate who shares their views on the Common Core [education plan], 28% say they would consider someone they differ with on this issue, and 25% say it is not all that important in the choice for the GOP nomination.

And bear in mind, this is mostly poling of Republican voters.  The Culture Wars are an ever-shifting battlefield.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 03:07:46 pm by Aqizzar »
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #2117 on: June 15, 2015, 02:56:58 pm »

That's too bad...Pataki's probably the only GOP candidate I'd vote for.

I suspect we'll see a few candidates peel off between now and the end of the year, maybe even the end of the summer. I'd be willing to bet that Cruz is trying to pad his resume this go-around more than actually win the nomination. Carson's not a politician, and no non-politician has won the presidency since 1952...and that man won WWII.

If I had to guess, Walker, Rubio, Bush, and Huckabee will be the frontrunners by the end of this year. I have a sneaking suspicion the nominee will probably be Rubio...like Romney, he's few people's first choice, but nearly everyone's second.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 03:00:43 pm by FearfulJesuit »

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #2118 on: June 15, 2015, 02:59:24 pm »

Hence why he won't win. :P

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2119 on: June 15, 2015, 02:59:58 pm »

Well, the Republican tickets is going to be Undecided/None of the Above. Undecided 2016! We don't know why you should vote for us!

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2120 on: June 15, 2015, 03:06:24 pm »

Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2121 on: June 15, 2015, 03:13:16 pm »

Ben Carson
Delicious.

Don't forget that the Herminator (Chairman Pizza, Ol' Nine Ninety-Nine) was also very briefly a frontrunner for the Republican nomination in 2012.  While it would be pretty fantastic watching people's hair light on fire if the Republican party picked a black man for a candidate, that is also exactly why it won't happen.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #2122 on: June 15, 2015, 03:30:42 pm »

So far, everything is going pretty much exactly like 2012.
Not quite - we don't have a Romney. Possibly I'm not following as closely as I could be, I suppose. I'll throw my expectations behind the first person who appears in slogans like "Anybody but so-and-so"; nobody else seems to have that "default" expectation about them.

EDIT: Regarding black Republican candidtates, you never know. They might conclude that Obama won because he's black due to the persecution complex and try to engineer a black guy's victory for "strategic" reasons, but it depends on how much the party leadership buys into its own swill.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 03:32:34 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2123 on: June 15, 2015, 03:57:36 pm »

Ben Carson
Delicious.

Don't forget that the Herminator (Chairman Pizza, Ol' Nine Ninety-Nine) was also very briefly a frontrunner for the Republican nomination in 2012.  While it would be pretty fantastic watching people's hair light on fire if the Republican party picked a black man for a candidate, that is also exactly why it won't happen.
Not actually my thought process. Ben Carson is just loves amazingly fallacious far-right rhetoric in a way that is deeply amusing to me. All of you should go search for him on Right Wing Watch, it's great.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2124 on: June 15, 2015, 03:57:55 pm »

I can't conceive of a world where both parties are that dumb.

"In a democracy, each party devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule — and both commonly succeed and are right."

—H. L. Mencken
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2125 on: June 15, 2015, 05:49:13 pm »

"In a democracy, each party devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule — and both commonly succeed and are right."

—H. L. Mencken

Someone distract me before I start trying to substantiate the naivete of cynicism in a median voter efficient political model.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #2126 on: June 15, 2015, 05:58:42 pm »

No, no, go on. The quote is right, in my experience, with the major thing it conceals being that the parties are not equally unfit to rule. So I'd like to hear the counterargument.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2127 on: June 15, 2015, 06:02:19 pm »

Even the platonic ideal of a party would appear to have flaws when perceived through a partisan political system.  But the question of fitness to rule isn't even that standard, the question is if the party is good or bad for the system.  And if we look at history we see that those who did vastly good things in retrospect were considered very confrontational at the time.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #2128 on: June 15, 2015, 06:13:44 pm »

Yeah, but the quotation has nothing to do with the appearance of flaws or with the degree to which things are confrontational, so I don't see how that's relevant. Neither party is fit to rule because neither party's interests align thoroughly with the people they try to rule, partly because a large chunk of their interests wind up being "thwart the other party to score points come next election" instead of solving the problems they purport to make up their platforms.

EDIT: I guess what I'm trying to say is, what does any of that have to do with cynicism? Or the supplied quote? Or anything at all that wasn't introduced in that very post of yours?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 06:18:02 pm by Bauglir »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2129 on: June 15, 2015, 06:19:52 pm »

So your platonic ideal is a party that aligns with the needs and wants of the nation as a whole.  For instance the democratic party in the 1940s.  They didn't rule by acclaim, they faced opposition that with some success depicted them as incompetent.

It's a bullshit criticism because it's not falsifiable.  The only way to beat the standard would be to simultaneously offer contradictory things.  And frankly I think most complaints about politics boil down to exactly that desire.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 1342