Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1550882 times)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 2016 Election Megathread- It Was Inevitable
« Reply #2100 on: June 09, 2015, 04:06:25 pm »

Democrats aren't that unified, there'd be enough people out of the party line to get things working, better than it is now, at least.

Though whether the RESULTS of that working are actually better is up to you. :P
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2101 on: June 09, 2015, 04:16:54 pm »

I actually wonder what Rep would do if they could actually repel Obamacare. People hate the name, but just wait until people with pre-existing conditions realize they will be dropped...

Actually, now that the Senate and the House are republicans, how come Obama doesn't spend his time vetoing Obamacare repel laws?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #2102 on: June 09, 2015, 04:33:47 pm »

He does. That's the only thing keeping the federal army from invading texas and enacting gay marriage laws. ;)

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #2103 on: June 09, 2015, 04:35:33 pm »

I assume they keep dying in committees in the Senate or something. Apparently he's only had to veto 4 things during his presidency, although part of that probably has to do with Congress' inability to put anything in front of him.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2104 on: June 09, 2015, 06:34:07 pm »

Actually, now that the Senate and the House are republicans, how come Obama doesn't spend his time vetoing Obamacare repel laws?

Because the Senate Filibusters them all.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2105 on: June 09, 2015, 09:41:11 pm »

Yep. The Senate fell to Republican hands, but thankfully their hands are still small and weak enough that they don't have the 60-vote threshold to overcome threats to filibuster (because nobody except Rand Paul actually DOES a filibuster anymore...they just say they're going to, and that's enough to kill the bill).

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2106 on: June 09, 2015, 09:54:44 pm »

Yes, thank god the first thing Republicans did once they took control of both houses was turn on each other. If they'd truly been able to put aside their differences out of their mutual hatred of Obama, things might have really taken a turn for the WTF. But they basically spent all their time since the Congressional elections positioning for the Presidential election and undercutting each other. Democrats may have their factions and disputes, but nobody puts it front and center like the Republicans.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2107 on: June 11, 2015, 01:56:42 am »

The misuse of "treason" is another of my pet peeves.

What *IS* treason?  The willful act of assisting the established enemies of a nation, so as to enable those enemies to strike, and cause harm to the nation.

What is treason?
Treason is joining a terrorist group, and planting bombs.
Treason is telling foreign intelligence agencies where the president's plane will stop for fuel so it can be blown up with him on board.
Treason is is giving away the plans and sourcecode for missile defense systems to hostile nations.

Things that are NOT treason:
Exposing the wrongdoing of the nation's political elite.
Exposing systemic faults in policy and process that puts everyone at risk, that go unfixed because "that's hard." (allowing the faults to exist is what puts people at risk. Exposing the faults is the first step toward forcing a fix!)
Expressing anti-government sentiment about how the nation is being run, especially when backed with real, credible evidence of mismanagement (Because the mismanagement is a far bigger threat to the actual safety and security of the country! See the Holodomor and pals comments from the previous pages)

I'd go as far as to say that not exposing the wrongdoing of the elite could be treason, at least in cases where that wrongdoing is unconstitutional (which should also be considered treason).
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2108 on: June 11, 2015, 04:13:11 am »

But words mean specific things.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #2109 on: June 11, 2015, 06:05:42 am »

« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 11:14:31 am by penguinofhonor »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2110 on: June 11, 2015, 06:24:15 pm »

Today I was tasked with figuring out which state had the most useful sex offender database.  Congrats to North Carolina.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2111 on: June 12, 2015, 01:53:22 pm »

You're....welcome? (not sure if that's a good thing or not)  :-\

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2112 on: June 12, 2015, 02:07:05 pm »

... so what were the measurements, anyway? What's NC's competitive(?) edge?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2113 on: June 12, 2015, 10:57:17 pm »

... so what were the measurements, anyway? What's NC's competitive(?) edge?

Amount of time it took me to accurately convert the entire database into STATA.  (Half an hour, that's really good!)
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2114 on: June 15, 2015, 09:18:19 am »

Well, Jeb Bush is finally announcing his candidacy (or maybe surprise with a not running) today.

Anyways, according to Wikipedia, Donald Trump is supposed to be announcing tomorrow, although CNN hasn't even mentioned him by name and he's not even in the polls either. So, AFAIK, the only source that says he is, is the MSNBC article. I really hope he doesn't because he's just going to make the whole thing even more of a mockery.

Edit: Guess what Jeb did for his campaign logo? The exact same one with just his name and an exlaimation point after it which he used back in 1994. Not sure how to read that because there are at least two ways of interpreting that fact. Although like the commentator said, sometimes a logo is just a logo.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 09:26:18 am by smjjames »
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143 ... 1342