Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] 141 142 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1550876 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 2016 Election Megathread- It Was Inevitable
« Reply #2085 on: June 05, 2015, 10:45:44 am »

But they ARE candidates. You can't really blame the media because the FEC is bloody useless.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2086 on: June 05, 2015, 11:05:15 am »

Saw this from simply just googling FEC: Republican FEC Commissioner Lee Goodman acknowledged that he’s been exercising his “discretion” to hold up complaints against Republican and conservative groups.

So basically, the heads of the FEC can hamstring investigations based upon their outside affiliation/loyalties/whatever.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #2087 on: June 05, 2015, 12:43:02 pm »

...But hasn't he been hurting his party, by letting nincompoops like trump syphon off campaign funds?

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2088 on: June 05, 2015, 12:56:10 pm »

...But hasn't he been hurting his party, by letting nincompoops like trump syphon off campaign funds?
Well, a person needs to have some principals to stand by, like for example:  The free market is master of all.  If it wants to throw money at Trump, then it can.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #2089 on: June 05, 2015, 01:04:30 pm »

Republicans don't have principles! Only a bottomless pit of malice and the whimpers of the damned.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2090 on: June 05, 2015, 01:26:39 pm »

But the IRS catches hell for supposedly being political in investigating political nonprofits about their tax-exempt status.

Seems fair. >_<

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2091 on: June 09, 2015, 06:43:26 am »

This thread has been dead lately.

So Clinton comes out well left of center on voting rights: http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2015/6/4/8731965/hillary-clinton-automatic-voter-registration

Of course it's not too suprising if you consider that Clinton is a generally liberal candidate except for on a handful of idiosyncratic issues...

((Hopefully that will get an entertaining flamewar going for me to read when I get off work!)).
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2092 on: June 09, 2015, 09:24:41 am »

Yeah, I'm too apathetic to even take the bait. She's gonna win the nomination (and probably the election) so what does it matter? Whatever stances she takes for the campaign, she'll be yet another centrist, corporate-friendly, surveillance-state Democrat once she's in power.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2093 on: June 09, 2015, 10:10:45 am »

If I was given the choice between Hillary Clinton and Rick Santorum, I might well suicide vote Santorum to try and breed dissentious liberalism.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2094 on: June 09, 2015, 10:55:49 am »

Hillary sends shivers down my spine, and not in a good way. She's Big Government in all the worst ways the Republicans haven't locked down yet.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2095 on: June 09, 2015, 01:06:03 pm »

This thread has been dead lately.

So Clinton comes out well left of center on voting rights: http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2015/6/4/8731965/hillary-clinton-automatic-voter-registration

Of course it's not too suprising if you consider that Clinton is a generally liberal candidate except for on a handful of idiosyncratic issues...

((Hopefully that will get an entertaining flamewar going for me to read when I get off work!)).

I think you forget that Clinton isn't exactly popular around here.

Back in 2008, when California had it's primaries, I think I voted for Obama. Forget my reasoning then though.

The democratic side is filling up though, so......

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2096 on: June 09, 2015, 01:22:42 pm »

Uncle Joe for El Presidente I say.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2097 on: June 09, 2015, 01:44:22 pm »

This isn't exactly election related, since it pertains mostly to the current administration, but I think it's worth pointing out.

The Affordable Care Act is still the central battleground of the Republican Congress and Obama's exiting administration, and I'm sure whoever gets elected next will still be dealing with it.  Senator John Thune (SD) has been a stalwart and frequently baffling opponent since the day one, and yesterday reached a new level of baffling criticism.  Maybe, I've been out of the loop long enough that I don't know where the level is anymore.  He tweeted this:

Quote from: John Thune
Six million people risk losing their health care subsidies, yet @POTUS continues to deny that Obamacare is bad for the American people.

"Risk losing their health care subsidies" is what happens if the ACA is repealed, since that's what's giving them those subsidies.  And repealing the ACA is what Thune wants to do.  If you're thinking, doesn't that mean Thune is saying the ACA is bad because people will lose health care coverage when Thune gets what he wants by removing it, then you're right on track.  It's logic so circular it threatens to collapse into a singularity of dumb.  In a refreshing breath of air, fellow anti-ACA Republican Congressman Justin Amash (MI) said that makes no damn sense (marking himself for defeat by a "true conservative" in his upcoming primary election).

This would be just another "Old Man Yells At Cloud" type story, except it fits a well established pattern over the last five years.  A significant portion of American politicians have decided they can pick and choose what reality they want to live in, and by campaigning from that universe force the real world to move with them.  Polling a couple months ago found significant (although minority-sized) groups of people still believe the ACA authorizes the government to force you to die while in hospice care, covers illegal immigrants, raised income taxes and did not cut business taxes.

For the most part, these dopey one-off things break down in polling exactly along party affiliation, making them pretty meaningless, but the significant one (a ways down the page) is what the program cost to implement.  The administration sold the ACA on the idea that it would lower federal health care spending long term, but never pretended that it wouldn't cost something to implement.  Exactly what, nobody ever really had a straight answer for.  Mostly because of the constantly changing metrics and long-delayed effort to defend the program, over 80% of Americans when asked either believe the ACA has cost the government more money than expected, or simply don't have an answer.  The reality is, the ACA's implementation costs have actually been considerably less than expected, and the Congressional Budget Office is now predicting the next decade of federal health care spending will be even less than they predicted in 2010.  Worth pointing out that some of those lowered costs were due to implementations being delayed, but $611 billion over ten years is not exactly a small number.

Obamacare hasn't really been an election issue so far.  Hillary Clinton expects it to continue to be business as usual if she's elected, and every Republican running has repeatedly sworn to repeal it the day they enter office.  But I bet it'll get more attention closer to the election, especially as more of it's programs come online and all the lawsuits get resolved.  And it does not bode well for how voters will be thinking, given that a vast majority of people across both parties just plain don't know or don't believe the reality of the largest domestic action of the outgoing Presidency.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2098 on: June 09, 2015, 02:54:43 pm »

Well, there is definetly a lot of dis and misinformation about the ACA plus things not being very clear, etc.

I suppose he meant whatever subsidies people are currently on before going to ACA, which is true in a very technical sense.

If a republican becomes president, I'm interested in seeing whether congress will shape up or continue to be dysfunctional. Hopefully the democrats don't decide to stoop to the level that the republicans went.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2099 on: June 09, 2015, 03:02:27 pm »

I can't conceive of a world where both parties are that dumb.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] 141 142 ... 1342