Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1550521 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 2016 Election Megathread- It Was Inevitable
« Reply #1950 on: May 26, 2015, 12:27:26 pm »

You know that's satire, right?

Woops.  :-[

It's just Poe's Law in action FJ. 

Much like Landoverbaptist.org may seem legit on first glance.  When the parody is so close to the genuine article, it is hard to tell if trolling or not. :D

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1951 on: May 26, 2015, 01:08:40 pm »

In something of a surprise, former New York governor George Pataki is jumping into the race.

Pataki would actually be a respectable candidate in the general election. He's a moderate, he's a Republican from the pre-crazy days of the GOP, and he's still popular enough in New York to make it a decent race with Clinton there.

Unfortunately, for all those reasons, he has less chance of winning the nomination than Jon Huntsman.

In other news, Ben Carson won the SRLC straw poll, followed by Scott Walker and Ted Cruz. (In case you're curious, the top 3 vote-getters in 2011 were Ron Paul, Jon Huntsman, and Michelle Bachmann).

So obviously, I wouldn't sink a lot of money into those "Carson 2016" t-shirt designs just yet.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 01:10:24 pm by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1952 on: May 26, 2015, 07:05:25 pm »

I mean his star trek fame alone should get him into the debates.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1953 on: May 26, 2015, 10:31:31 pm »

Ben Carson has Star Trek fame? *is confused* As who? Wiki says nothing about Star Trek.

Unfortunately, for all those reasons, he has less chance of winning the nomination than Jon Huntsman.

Huntsman did screw himself over by concentrating in just one state (New Jersey or Vermont or something) for some crazy reason.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 10:42:41 pm by smjjames »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1954 on: May 26, 2015, 10:43:04 pm »

Probably talking about Pataki, which is two parts ignorance and one part mispronunciation from being Takei. Takei's unfortunately both too old and probably too smart to run for president. I'd be pretty willing to toss the guy a vote, though.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 10:45:08 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1955 on: May 27, 2015, 09:20:26 am »

Probably talking about Pataki, which is two parts ignorance and one part mispronunciation from being Takei. Takei's unfortunately both too old and probably too smart to run for president. I'd be pretty willing to toss the guy a vote, though.

He's also a quite gay. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to hear his inauguration speech begin with "Heeeeeeelllllloooooooooooooooooooooooooo", but somehow I think the country isn't quite capable of electing a homosexual yet.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #1956 on: May 27, 2015, 09:23:07 am »

Aren't both Obama and his wife transsexual though?

Or should I not listen to Fox News :P?

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1957 on: May 27, 2015, 10:37:46 am »

Ben Carson has Star Trek fame? *is confused* As who? Wiki says nothing about Star Trek.

Huntsman did screw himself over by concentrating in just one state (New Jersey or Vermont or something) for some crazy reason.

And Pataki's doing more or less the same thing, banking all his hopes on New Hampshire (where Republicans are more the Teddy Roosevelt model than the Jesse Helms model). Plus geographic proximity means greater name recognition. Iowa conservatives may not even remember Pataki (although he was governor of NY during 9/11, so that should give him *some* cred, even if Giuliani cashed in harder on that).

Unfortunately for Pataki (and the country, and yea, even the world) New England Republicans are a nearly extinct breed in the modern GOP. The center of power has swung far to the south and west and far to the right.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1958 on: May 27, 2015, 01:04:40 pm »

New Hampshire is a do or die for a moderate Republican.  If you dont make a strong showing there you've already lost the primaries.  Primaries are always a game of strategic voting where voters will drop a candidate who doesn't seem viable.  Look at 2012, it became a drawn out fight between the winner in Iowa (Santorum, lolno Ron Paul hijinks dont count) and New Hampshire (Romney).  In 2008 Wyoming went early and it became a drawn out fight between the winner in New Hampshire (McCain) and the winner in Wyoming/second place in Iowa (Romney).  2000 was a fight between the winner in Iowa+Alaska (Bush) and the winner in New Hampshire (McCain).

Occasionally there is another early state that a candidate can win to swing things but generally you need either Iowa or New Hampshire to prove that you are viable.  The winners there attract the supporters away from the losers.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1960 on: May 27, 2015, 05:31:12 pm »

Populism is a political doctrine that appeals to the interests and conceptions (such as hopes and fears) of the general people, especially contrasting those interests with the interests of the elite ...
Duncan McDonnell define populism as an ideology that "pits a virtuous and homogeneous people against a set of elites and dangerous ‘others’ who are together depicted as depriving (or attempting to deprive) the sovereign people of their rights, values, prosperity, identity, and voice".

The Tea Party especially fits the standard definitions of populism, so the Republicans might well have shifted more along those lines. But the roots go back further, to guys like Newt Gingrich and Rush Limbaugh. Rush Limbaugh is especially populist by the common definitions.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 05:38:01 pm by Reelya »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1961 on: May 27, 2015, 05:57:44 pm »

I'd be pleasantly surprised, but the breath remains firmly unheld. You don't really see anti-corp measures from either party. They're both pretty firmly pocketed, if in different ways.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1962 on: May 27, 2015, 06:05:20 pm »

http://republic3-0.com/roots-right-wing-anti-corporate-populism-rob-atkinson/

Right-wing anti-corporatism is different to the left-wing one. They want to roll the clock back to the "second republic" era, which dominated between the Civil War and the New Deal. They want to stop government support to corporation, but unlike the left they don't want to put any laws in place to regulate corporations or protect the environment.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 06:11:17 pm by Reelya »

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #1963 on: May 27, 2015, 06:09:38 pm »

I'd be deeply surprised if either party were able to muster the willpower to truly unclasp its lips from the financial cock they're managing to share; it'd be just about the only thing that could possibly get me to consider voting Republican, for example.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1964 on: May 27, 2015, 06:13:10 pm »

http://republic3-0.com/roots-right-wing-anti-corporate-populism-rob-atkinson/

Right-wing anti-corporatism is different to the left-wing one. They want to roll the clock back to the "second republic" era, which dominated between the Civil War and the New Deal.

Otherwise known as the Gilded Age and the Great Depression.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 1342