Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 125 126 [127] 128 129 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1550309 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 2016 Election Megathread- It Was Inevitable
« Reply #1890 on: May 19, 2015, 07:13:57 am »

At the end of the day how much did Robert Byrd help?  I certainly would have preferred if Robert Byrd had won but how much did he shape events?  What would have actually changed if Clinton and Kerry had switched from their position to agreeing with Robert Byrd?  Remember this is back in 2002 before the filibuster took it's current form and Bush could get things through with 50 Senators.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1891 on: May 19, 2015, 07:43:08 am »

So people should just ignore that the reasons for the war & deaths were flat out horse shit & to be honest obviously HS at the time? Bush took the US & the Australian/UK politicians of the time along in to a war on HS reasons & all we do is shrug? Well you got me there. Good lying. Well played. We'll just ignore that people died for no good reason? Forgive the sarcasm, but people did die because of this & when everyone else caught up on the lie. Nothing.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1892 on: May 19, 2015, 07:56:53 am »

So people should just ignore that the reasons for the war & deaths were flat out horse shit & to be honest obviously HS at the time? Bush took the US & the Australian/UK politicians of the time along in to a war on HS reasons & all we do is shrug? Well you got me there. Good lying. Well played. We'll just ignore that people died for no good reason? Forgive the sarcasm, but people did die because of this & when everyone else caught up on the lie. Nothing.
See here, its just not the Murrican way to take responsibility, unless you don't have a lot of money and/or influence.  Then you'll take all the responsibility up the wazoo and then some.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1893 on: May 19, 2015, 08:14:29 am »

You know at the end of the day I'm not too concerned about the idiots of the past taking responsibility, as long as the US doesn't re-elect the same kind of idiots. Maniac is excusing Hillary Clinton's decisions as pragmatic. It's pragmatic because we are now excusing those decisions.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1894 on: May 19, 2015, 10:43:51 am »

See here, its just not the Murrican way to take responsibility, unless you don't have a lot of money and/or influence.  Then you'll take all the responsibility up the wazoo and then some.

I mean, sort of. Can't count the number of senators who have broken laws, cheated on their wives...and still believe they're entirely electable. I'd say the American way is to take responsibility until you hit a certain level of wealth and power....and then it's all about deflecting or excusing personal responsibility.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1895 on: May 19, 2015, 10:56:14 am »

From my people watching experience, the deflection of personal culpability for actions taken is something that is hardly exclusive to the wealthy elite.

Note, the warning labels on things telling you not to do obviously stupid shit, that have to be there, because somebody did that obviously stupid thing, got hurt, sued, and won.

you know, like drying your hair in the shower, or driving with the sun shield still up.

When people consider deflection of responsibility to be the norm, for clearly stupid shit, why do you think they will sing a different tune for serious shit?

These days, everything is about showing it "wasn't thier fault." (and conversely, how it was "that other guy's fault" instead.)

Politicians are expert liars. They dodge blame like professionals, because they are.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1896 on: May 19, 2015, 06:43:18 pm »

At the end of the day how much did Robert Byrd help?  I certainly would have preferred if Robert Byrd had won but how much did he shape events?  What would have actually changed if Clinton and Kerry had switched from their position to agreeing with Robert Byrd?  Remember this is back in 2002 before the filibuster took it's current form and Bush could get things through with 50 Senators.

What would have changed?  I'd have more confidence in them now.  That's what would have changed.  I don't care about how much importance a candidate's decisions in the past were to the political field as a whole.  If I'm deciding whether to vote for a candidate or not, I care about what those past decisions indicate about the values, critical thinking, and integrity I can expect from that candidate if I voted them into a position today.  I get that opposing the war was futile and potentially harmful to a political career at the time... but it still doesn't make any sense to me to care about any of that when judging a candidate as a voter.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1897 on: May 19, 2015, 06:54:36 pm »

I love Biden.

By the way, does anyone have the full version of this clip? Somehow I can't find an archive of the hearings during the 103rd congress...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1898 on: May 19, 2015, 06:55:13 pm »

You care, SG. Most of the electorate doesn't really give a shit about things like values, critical thinking, or integrity, unfortunately. Other priorities, like whether the lack of that first or third is going to help or hinder them on a personal level, or if their currently displayed (facsimile of) values match their own.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1899 on: May 19, 2015, 07:00:23 pm »

You know at the end of the day I'm not too concerned about the idiots of the past taking responsibility, as long as the US doesn't re-elect the same kind of idiots. Maniac is excusing Hillary Clinton's decisions as pragmatic. It's pragmatic because we are now excusing those decisions.

Except that a large number of those Congresscritters HAVE been re-elected since then. Multiple times, even!

Whether their initial vote was out of rage, fear, opportunism or ideological loyalty is irrelevant to me -- I don't want an elected representative whose decision-making has a history of being guided by those things.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1900 on: May 19, 2015, 07:04:02 pm »

Okay, found it. A quintessential Biden moment, I think. It's a shame that the sound track's not in sync with the video.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1901 on: May 19, 2015, 08:48:01 pm »

So people should just ignore that the reasons for the war & deaths were flat out horse shit & to be honest obviously HS at the time?

No at the end of the day people should scope their political beliefs around what is easy and gives them the greatest sense of smug superiority.  They should reduce the very difficult dilemmas of people in obscure situations to childish absolutes with the benefit of hindsight.  They should entertain no justifications for any wrong choice they disagreed with at the time no matter what the reasons for their disagreement were.  In this fashion they can maximize their own egotism.  This allows for the healthy cultivation of disdain and hostility towards vague structures of authority and the alienation of those you disagree with.

Above all they should apply a selection bias towards the past.  They should only remember when their vague hostilities towards abstract structures or alienated personalities are vindicated.  They should forget all the times that the exact same sentiments ended up being groundless.  They should embrace the memory's tendency to exaggerate mild opinions in the right direction or forget opinions in the wrong direction.  And they should wholeheartedly denounce any politician who dares show even a hint of the same behavior.

Once that is done and the modern political mindset is fully embraced they will be ready to do what's really important: bitch about how political discourse is petty and stupid.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1902 on: May 19, 2015, 11:29:16 pm »

... Yeah, I get that you disagree with my attitude towards politics.  I understand how the way I express it looks to you, and it's not worth engaging you on this subject. 

What I don't understand is how your description of me relates in this case.

Iraq was a solidly pre-emptive war.  Unless faced with overwhelming evidence of imminent catastrophic consequences, this should be tossed out by anyone with a shred of sanity on principle alone.  If you consider this a childish absolute, then I have nothing else to say.

And there was not overwhelming evidence.  Even if you believe everything, the war was built on two cases.
1.  They might have some materials that could conceivably be made into components for things that could hurt us.
2.  Saddam has ties to the terrorist organization that just attacked us.

#1 was outright refuted or heavily contested by actual experts and investigations on every count, and this was incredibly obviously ignored by the war proponents of the time.  Multiple inside agents and investigators from multiple organizations on multiple levels of government, both U.S. and international, looked into the claims and made it clear that they found no evidence.  I understand that Bush's inner circle constructed blatant lies to push the legislator, but I absolutely will fault them for running with that when every other source was turning up absolutely nothing.  The only two explanations for this are ignorance or inability/unwillingness to apply the slightest critical thinking to the situation, which is not acceptable when considering a decision guaranteed to result in hundreds of thousands of deaths.  And even if it were true, there was never even any attempt to establish that there was intent or imminence to actually use any supposed capability that I can recall or find reference to now, so this still wasn't even halfway proper justification for a pre-emptive invasion.

#2 was never substantiated at all.  It was just put out there and accepted without question until years later.  Seriously, I cannot WTF at this hard enough.

And there were obvious red flags besides the flimsiness of justification.  The eagerness was overwhelming and disturbing, and in my experience, it was near-universally recognized, even among war supporters, that it was hard not to assume unfinished family business as a factor.  Bush was so hyper-focused on Iraq that even though he sold the invasion as a front line on the War on Terror in direct response to 9/11, he would also blatantly tell the public long before the invasion had even begun that the person named as directly responsible for 9/11 wasn't a priority to him.  Then there's the gigantic flashing neon red flag that was the warmongering inner circle's financial ties to the defense industry.  I mean fucking come on really... this is not a product of hindsight.  I was asking the exact same question in 2003:  how the fuck can anyone with half a brain not see the mountainous shitpile of conflicts of interest and contradictory rhetoric going on here.

So yeah, I get the statement that it wasn't healthy for anyone's political career aspirations at the time to oppose any war in the middle east, with a good chunk of the country screaming "We should nuke that entire region to glass!" with flaming bald eagles and flags firing from every fucking orifice.  That's not hard to understand.

But when you tell me that it was a difficult decision for a politician to be faced with, you're either telling me that politicians are gullible and stupid, or that no amount of ethical gravity is enough to make it easy for a politician to sacrifice political points.  Either way, you're telling me that it's immature of me to expect anything of a politician.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #1903 on: May 19, 2015, 11:43:32 pm »

It's immature of you to expect anything from a politician. :P

And yeah, I agree with you and all, but I'm honestly not surprised.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1904 on: May 20, 2015, 09:10:38 am »

Mainiac, show us on the doll where Colin Powell's shitty PowerPoint presentation touched you.

Cause frankly, you're playing devil's advocate for some mighty big devils. I don't know how old you were in 2002, but I was 26. I fully remember the "case" being laid out, I remember thinking this was flimsy as hell, I remember leaks galore in the press casting doubt on the "slam-dunk" intelligence, I remember marching with 100,000+ people in DC on two occasions before the war started, and I remember politicians and pundits alike calling us for to be arrested, to leave the country, that we were despicable traitors, that we wanted to see Saddam nuke Israel, etc.

And now we're supposed to say, "oh well, nobody could have known they were wrong, its okay to gloss over that because its been 13 years." FUCK THAT NOISE.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 09:54:10 am by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 ... 125 126 [127] 128 129 ... 1342