Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1550009 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 2016 Election Megathread- It Was Inevitable
« Reply #1830 on: May 12, 2015, 05:51:52 pm »

and more specifically how they intend to roll that back to their goalposts, and not just wish the world wasn't so.

It is a really difficult subject... how to get the justice system to actually enforce the law when it applies to rich people...
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #1831 on: May 12, 2015, 05:57:57 pm »

Hey, look, we've gotta cut them some slack. I mean, they're all suffering so desperately from affluenza!
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1832 on: May 14, 2015, 02:15:54 pm »

Dunno if this was already discussed or not, but here's something to chew on:
Obama-hating Republican refuses to get insurance, gets diabetes and is going blind, blames Obamacare.

Even better, because he lives in South Carolina, he can't receive Medicaid benefits because SC Republicans refused the Medicaid expansion. Who does he blame for that? Obama.

“(My husband) should be at the front of the line, because he doesn’t work and because he has medical issues,” Mary Lang said last week. “We call it the Not Fair Health Care Act.”

He then sets up a GoFundMe site, and is close to reaching the minimum $18K for his eye surgery, almost entirely donated by liberals and progressives. Though, from all evidence, the guy is still blaming the government and doesn't look to have learned jackshit from his experience.

This is why the Republicans tend to win, guys. Because their opponents have mercy. Were the situation reversed, there is not one iota of chance that Mr. Lang would donate money to help any of those people who helped him. Personally, I hope his fucking eyeballs fall out.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1833 on: May 14, 2015, 04:40:13 pm »

Obama-hating Republican refuses to get insurance, gets diabetes and is going blind, blames Obamacare.

Even better, because he lives in South Carolina, he can't receive Medicaid benefits because SC Republicans refused the Medicaid expansion. Who does he blame for that? Obama.

“(My husband) should be at the front of the line, because he doesn’t work and because he has medical issues,” Mary Lang said last week. “We call it the Not Fair Health Care Act.”

He then sets up a GoFundMe site, and is close to reaching the minimum $18K for his eye surgery, almost entirely donated by liberals and progressives. Though, from all evidence, the guy is still blaming the government and doesn't look to have learned jackshit from his experience.

This is why the Republicans tend to win, guys. Because their opponents have mercy. Were the situation reversed, there is not one iota of chance that Mr. Lang would donate money to help any of those people who helped him. Personally, I hope his fucking eyeballs fall out.

Why are people donating to him? It would seem more sensible to just leave him and spend the money on people who deserve it.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1834 on: May 14, 2015, 04:43:56 pm »

GoFundMe is a nexus of human sympathy sometimes. More than I have, that's for sure.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #1835 on: May 14, 2015, 05:47:53 pm »

Why are people donating to him? It would seem more sensible to just leave him and spend the money on people who deserve it.
Considering this man would go blind without eye surgery, I'd say he "deserves" it.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #1836 on: May 14, 2015, 07:22:31 pm »

Because if you only do nice things for people you're sure deserve them, you're not actually being all that nice.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1837 on: May 14, 2015, 08:07:13 pm »

Fuck being nice, letting this - what is an appropriate insult? - teabag cripple himself permanently is a good way to delliver a message. Even better than going all 'other cheek' on him, because the intended audience probably wouldn't even register that.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 06:04:21 am by Helgoland »
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1838 on: May 14, 2015, 08:59:45 pm »

I don't even have the energy to berate the guy at this point, the allegorical resonance is already completely lost on anyone it would actually matter to.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #1839 on: May 14, 2015, 09:24:57 pm »

Fuck being nice, letting this - what is an appropriate insult? - teabag cripple himself permanently is a good way to delliver a message. Even better than going all 'other cheek' on him, because the intended audience probably wouldn't even register that.

That's an unexpected sentiment, coming from you - Aren't you fairly conservative? Or is this a case of "He whose beliefs are completely different is an infidel. He whose beliefs are almost the same is a heretic!"

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #1840 on: May 14, 2015, 09:27:18 pm »

He´s a conservative European.

It´s equivalent to an American hippie.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1841 on: May 14, 2015, 09:32:58 pm »

That's an unexpected sentiment, coming from you - Aren't you fairly conservative? Or is this a case of "He whose beliefs are completely different is an infidel. He whose beliefs are almost the same is a heretic!"
I think it's more a case of no matter who's talking about it, the blind guy's a dipshit.

Which sounds terrible, but whatever.

Also what Dutchling said. "Liberal" in America is "Conservative" most other places, from what very little I know.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1842 on: May 14, 2015, 09:49:42 pm »

Insofar as major party policy and voting patterns go, yeah. I think the actual people on the ground have a bit more give, as things go, but the difference between our politicians is... well, it's notable. Very notable, in many arenas. But our major "liberal" politicians are what you'd usually consider centrist at most in countries with an actual left-wing worth note, and you still often have significant portions of the ostensibly left politicians voting conservatively, even if their stated policy or rhetoric would suggest they'd be doing otherwise. It can be hard to tell a conservative from a liberal on many subjects, sometimes. They just come off as being more or less extreme versions of the same sort of critter.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #1843 on: May 14, 2015, 11:08:57 pm »

It's actually not a good way to deliver a message, because the intended audience wouldn't register the one you want to send, either. Do you think they're going to suddenly start being rational on this particular occasion?

I just happen to find it better to provide even dipshits (which he certainly is) with healthcare than to withhold it based on who I think is or is not deserving. The only criticism I have, here, is that he had to resort to straight-up charity for it instead of it just being an automatic thing that you get by virtue of living around these parts, because we have to spend our tax dollars on stupid shit like a bloated bureaucracy whose sole purpose is to deny people healthcare.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1844 on: May 14, 2015, 11:40:13 pm »

Wrath is never productive.

Have a TED talk.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 1342