Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1549106 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 2016 Election Megathread- It Was Inevitable
« Reply #1605 on: April 21, 2015, 03:33:24 pm »

Not so sure about the pro-choice bit. Hispanics and the Pope be tight, yo.
Then how do you explain this? Only the inclusion of first-generation Hispanics do you get a pro-life consensus. The generational trend has already moved away fast. This is not the picture of liberal academics, but it certainly is also not the picture of the GOP's salvation.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1606 on: April 21, 2015, 03:44:11 pm »

Not so sure about the pro-choice bit. Hispanics and the Pope be tight, yo.
Then how do you explain this? Only the inclusion of first-generation Hispanics do you get a pro-life consensus. The generational trend has already moved away fast. This is not the picture of liberal academics, but it certainly is also not the picture of the GOP's salvation.
Yes, but obviously based on the math, the majority of Latinos in the US *are* first-generation. I'm not saying they won't get there in time, but for now it's still a major issue where the GOP could have an advantage, if they didn't shoot themself in the foot on every OTHER issue of importance to Hispanics.

There's also a counter-trend (although weaker) just above that, where 2nd and 3rd generation Latinos are more in favor of "small government". One, because they probably depend less on government services than new arrivals; and two, because most Latinos emigrate from countries which have more prominent governments and public sectors.

You also see a move over successive generations away from Catholicism and towards Protestant and especially evangelical denominations. That corresponds to more conservative political beliefs as well.

I think it will take 10-20 years to see which is stronger, the abortion effect swinging left or the religion/ideology effect swinging right.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1607 on: April 21, 2015, 03:46:19 pm »

I thought you were talking about millennial latinos, not in general.  Millennial are less likely to be first gen.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1608 on: April 21, 2015, 07:06:38 pm »

any government payed vocation (includes mailman)

You do realize how large a swath that is? You're excluding people like military people or park rangers (who are government paid) and a huge number of jobs which have no connection to politics.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1609 on: April 21, 2015, 07:30:24 pm »

About 20% of the country works for the government, wierd.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1610 on: April 21, 2015, 08:48:23 pm »

About 20% of the country works for the government, wierd.

Not really.  In a modern economy there are a lot of services where the inefficiencies of any competative market outweigh the inefficiencies of no competition.  If anything I'd say that number is below the efficient number.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1611 on: April 21, 2015, 08:58:46 pm »

I took the number of people who say they work for the government, and rounded to the nearest neat number. It's about 17%.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1612 on: April 21, 2015, 09:54:47 pm »

The problem is that people with government jobs are more likely to support initiatives and policies that promote government jobs-- eg, "mission creep".

Government (or at least my own idealized veiw of it) is not a magic giving tree that should supply everyone with every imaginable service they happen to want this decade.  It needs to stay focused on essential services needed for the civilization to function, and follow more of the "unix way", rather than being a bloated piece of shit trying to be and do everything.

Lean, efficient services needed. Things like roadway and bridge construction, policing against criminal activity, putting out fires, international economic policies and securing borders, environmental protection, and things of that nature. 

It's a short road from "I work for the government doing (mundane thing)" to "I work for the government creating policy concerning (mundane thing)".  Mission creep, and making things "easier" for government have enabled more graft in this country than you might care to realize.

Unfortunate truths are unfortunate.  For basically the same reaons a person working for the lottery cannot participate in the lottery, government employees should not qualify for private sector time for the proposed official eligability.

it sucks, but you cant have the cake and eat it too.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1613 on: April 21, 2015, 11:56:37 pm »

The problem is that people with government jobs are more likely to support initiatives and policies that promote government jobs-- eg, "mission creep".

Yes, just like every other organization in human society, government is an organization and behaves like an organization.  Like most tautologies this is fairly tautilogical.

Comparing organizations like Aetna or Blue Cross Blue Shield to their counterparts in Medicare and Medicaid I would say that for comparable sectors government has a far, far smaller tendency to bloat itself.  Government just fights against human nature while private industry fights against economic law when both try to avoid bloat and economic law crushes human nature like a bug.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 11:59:36 pm by mainiac »
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #1614 on: April 22, 2015, 12:00:07 am »

Wait, are you defending government? Like some kind of communist?!

:o
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 12:08:25 am by Angle »

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1615 on: April 22, 2015, 12:01:47 am »

Or Nazi for that matter.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1616 on: April 22, 2015, 12:46:09 am »

Yes, just like every other organization in human society, government is an organization and behaves like an organization.  Like most tautologies this is fairly tautilogical.

Comparing organizations like Aetna or Blue Cross Blue Shield to their counterparts in Medicare and Medicaid I would say that for comparable sectors government has a far, far smaller tendency to bloat itself.  Government just fights against human nature while private industry fights against economic law when both try to avoid bloat and economic law crushes human nature like a bug.

Whoosh goes the point, apparently--

Pointing out the obvious ("everyone does this, since forever"), does not make the problem suddenly "OK to ignore".

Logically, there is very little difference between the mega-banker creating legislation that makes mega-bankers richer, (corruption and graft, et al) -- and the former govt employee creating legislation that increases benefits and protections for government workers (even when there is no real need or benefit to the society for said increases/entitlements/protections) Both are special interests.

The idea is to eliminate special interest opportunities.  Pointing out that "Hey, we have lots of those people, and you want to shut them out!"  is like saying "Hey, we have all these lobbyists-- you want to keep them out of politics? Don't they have just as much right to be politicians as any other guy?"

As I pointed out, you can't have the cake and eat it too.  There's nothing stopping the mailman from working part time at Micky D's on weekends, JUST to further his goals of one day becoming a politician.  The prohibition was not against those people being allowed to enter politics, it was against the enabling of political careers--- For every year in office, so many years doing qualified private sector work needs to be done.  The prohibition was against what kinds of jobs were eligable for that requirement-- It's to stop quid pro quo from the revolving door. "Yeah, I used to be a senator, and now have a cooshy gig for the MPAA!", a la Mr Dodd. Government employment is a ready reservior for such quid pro quo, in the form of a garanteed income after doing your "service."  That's another reason for its prohibition from candidacy.

If you are a government worker who has no plans to ever run for political office (pretty much all government workers in the rank and file), then such a prohibition will have precisely zero impact on you.

If you are a government worker who has plans to run for political office, then it WOULD impact you.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1617 on: April 22, 2015, 07:20:36 am »

« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 10:30:16 am by penguinofhonor »

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1618 on: April 22, 2015, 09:38:01 am »

You know what? Let's just take some random guy and make him president. Check for any mental disabilities and also a high IQ and make this anon president.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1619 on: April 22, 2015, 01:18:48 pm »

I'm pretty sure that "Anonymous for President" is already a thing on the *chans.
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 1342