Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1548342 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 2016 Election Megathread- It Was Inevitable
« Reply #1530 on: April 20, 2015, 08:22:26 am »

"It's getting better, therefore it's not bad"?

Thank you for showing the way to completely misrepresent my meaning with the fewest words.
Okay, what was your actual meaning, then? I apologize for misunderstanding, but I'm no clearer to figuring out what you were trying to say.

Talking about "the elites" making it sounds like it's an elite vs. masses conflict of class interest would lead one to the exact wrong expectation about what the actual trend is.  To whatever extent there are "elites" their interests are not particularly far from anyone else's on issues regarding war.  This stands in stark contrast to issues of taxation, intellectual property, eminent domain, labor, etc where clear conflict along "class" lines does exist.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: April 20, 2015, 10:47:12 am »

Talking about "the elites" making it sounds like it's an elite vs. masses conflict of class interest would lead one to the exact wrong expectation about what the actual trend is.  To whatever extent there are "elites" their interests are not particularly far from anyone else's on issues regarding war.  This stands in stark contrast to issues of taxation, intellectual property, eminent domain, labor, etc where clear conflict along "class" lines does exist.
The trend of increasing safety seems totally unrelated, is the thing. People in a position to earn money or power off of military contracting and electorate fear do have an interest in wars that other people lack, for example, and are likewise in a position to suffer few cognizable negative consequences. That there are also other social trends resulting in an actual decrease of violence over time doesn't exactly change that.

And I honestly don't see where you're getting this confusion between discussing the state of things and discussing the rate of change of things. If one keeps those straight, we can talk about whatever class interest conflicts we want without saying anything about the trend you tried to bring up as an objection.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: April 20, 2015, 11:34:09 am »

Casting a superficial, cursory glance over American politics right now I can only note that the Republicans are almost as stupid as the Scottish Labour Party and that I utterly dread the day Hilary Clinton ever gets into office. If you think Obama was a polarising/divisive figure just you wait and see. The South might as well just finally secede and have done with it.

I've always wondered... what do American ballot papers look like? Is it just one or the other i.e. "Marco Rubio" - X and "Hilary Clinton" - X? Do other parties show up or do you need to write them in?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 11:44:46 am by Owlbread »

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: April 20, 2015, 12:09:09 pm »

I've always wondered... what do American ballot papers look like? Is it just one or the other i.e. "Marco Rubio" - X and "Hilary Clinton" - X? Do other parties show up or do you need to write them in?

Other parties show up. Requirements to get on a ballot vary by state, but typically you have to collect such-and-such number of signatures and pay a small fee. I will usually see candidates for the Libertarian Party and the Independent American Party for state-level offices, though they never win. I also have the explicit ability to vote for "None of These", but Nevada doesn't allow write-in ballots for any office.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: April 20, 2015, 12:17:44 pm »

Casting a superficial, cursory glance over American politics right now I can only note that the Republicans are almost as stupid as the Scottish Labour Party and that I utterly dread the day Hilary Clinton ever gets into office. If you think Obama was a polarising/divisive figure just you wait and see. The South might as well just finally secede and have done with it.

As our token Republican, I must say that you're probably looking at the far...further right Republicans. Republicans aren't all crazy bigots, just like most Democrats aren't hippies.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: April 20, 2015, 12:34:21 pm »

The thing is, most Republican politicians seems to be crazy bigot, while I wouldn't call Hillary a hippie.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: April 20, 2015, 12:37:13 pm »

as a centrist, I see them all as pandering sociopaths that pander to different blocks of the electorate, and having achieved some success (eg, reelections) with those strategies, considers them to be the holy sacrement of thier respective parties.

Repubs going agains big business? heresy!
Dems going against immigrants and minorities? heresy!

It's this issue with "heresy" that causes problems. Yes, i would say their behavior is borderline religious in nature, as it seems completely faith based.  Even as big business literally destroys the american economy, the repubs oooh and aaaah over it like it was the coming of the messiah.  Likewise, even as probes into H1Bs for tech firms are showing systemic abuses by contractors working for the big names in CA, the dems hold fast that H1B visas need to be expanded, not placed under a moratorium or further investigated.  (on this issue, it seems only the more centrist types are willing to press for the investigations, that's from both parties, stemming from the dogmatic behaviors of the panderings of both sides.)

as for what a US ballot looks like, we get 2 ballots.  The first is the primary election ballot, where candidates are all present.  They get weeded out to the basic 2 or 3 candidates that are presented at the actual election ballot.

When combined with gerrymandering, the primary election statistics can bere-interpreted in ways that make statiticians cry, and allow pollitically powerful candidates (or at least "favored") to steal the nomnations, and thus get on the real ballot, when when total vote count does not align with that outcome.

I would actually welcome a more european style ballot being trialed on the US, but such a thing is probably not legal to trial here, as the electoral college system is defined in our constitution.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: April 20, 2015, 12:46:34 pm »

Have you never heard of the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact?

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: April 20, 2015, 12:53:31 pm »

Have you never heard of the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact?

Would be interesting if the NPVIC hit 270 votes right before the election. I don't think it would, but it's a possibility- they're already more than halfway to 270, although the easy targets have mostly been picked off.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: April 20, 2015, 12:57:31 pm »

One thing I wonder, is that the state who passed the Compact seems to be mostly democratic. Is there a reason for that?

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #1540 on: April 20, 2015, 01:01:00 pm »

It involves subverting what has come to be seen as the traditional Will of the Founders; that is, the Electoral College. Harder to sell that to the conservative crowd, almost by definition. At least, that's my guess - I can't back it up with studies.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: April 20, 2015, 01:02:33 pm »

One thing I wonder, is that the state who passed the Compact seems to be mostly democratic. Is there a reason for that?

I think it's probably lingering resentment from 2000, when Gore would have won under the popular vote. I think this is likely to change, though, especially because more and more formerly-red states are turning swing or blue, making the presidential votes of Republicans in those states meaningless.

Neutering the Electoral College is probably a good thing for voter turnout and American democracy, but I can't say I'm not going to miss it- it sure makes the mechanics of campaigning much more interesting.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 01:04:54 pm by FearfulJesuit »

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: April 20, 2015, 03:04:01 pm »

Nate Silver took a dim view of the whole thing. Republican officials have adopted a sort of knee-jerk reaction towards such types of voter reform, and moderate states, ordinarily battlegrounds, benefit from the Compact not passing. And if red states oppose it, and purple states oppose it, its not going to get to 270 any time soon.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

otto

« Reply #1543 on: April 20, 2015, 03:19:16 pm »

(spam removed)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 03:33:21 pm by Toady One »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: April 20, 2015, 03:24:11 pm »

This is an... interesting spambot. I wonder who's paying for it.

Do you think we can invoke it in other thread? Or invoke other issue-specific spambot?

Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 1342