Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1548269 times)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 2016 Election Megathread- It Was Inevitable
« Reply #1515 on: April 19, 2015, 04:37:48 pm »

Heil Hilly?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #1516 on: April 19, 2015, 04:37:48 pm »

Usurpet Chafee nominationem.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1517 on: April 19, 2015, 04:40:28 pm »

May Chafee claim the nomination? My Latin's a bit rusty, I'm afraid.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: April 19, 2015, 05:00:35 pm »

Which will be held against him as him being a flip-flopper. Guarantee you that if he gets to any prominent position, that'll be a major point used against him.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: April 19, 2015, 05:06:17 pm »

Which will be held against him as him being a flip-flopper. Guarantee you that if he gets to any prominent position, that'll be a major point used against him.

He's never really flip-flopped on positions, though. He's a relic of the old, sane, progressive Northeastern GOP, and basically got kicked out by Reaganites. I'll let XKCD speak:

See that thin light blue line on the right side of the spectrum? That's Chafee- member of a right-wing party, but center-left himself.

I don't expect the media or his former party comrades to grasp the nuance, though.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1520 on: April 19, 2015, 05:08:40 pm »

So you basically agree with what I said. :P I never said I'd hold it against him.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1521 on: April 19, 2015, 05:12:33 pm »

Who's the red on the left side, though? They make a nice symmetry with Chafee.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: April 19, 2015, 05:24:37 pm »

Who's the red on the left side, though? They make a nice symmetry with Chafee.

Looking at the DW-NOMINATE scores for the era, it appears to have been Zell Miller of Georgia, who declined to run for re-election in 2004 and backed Bush over Kerry.

Another interesting tidbit from the 2005-2006 DW-NOMINATE scores: George W. Bush was more conservative than every single member of the Senate, and now he'd be considered a RINO par excellence. That was only ten years ago, too. I'd like to believe the GOP could snap out of its idiocy and return to some semblance of normalcy in as short a timespan, but I'm not optimistic.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 05:32:23 pm by FearfulJesuit »

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: April 19, 2015, 07:37:21 pm »

New Hampshire's GOP summit is over. The upshots are Christie isn't dead, Intervention NOW (where? everywhere), "Hillary Clinton is evil", and "Please no Jeb Bush".
would say that your arguments only make sense at all for the very, very modern era. Rome for example, and everything the Roman Empire did, thumbs its nose at your entire theory. And how would the Mongols fit? Basically pre-industrial warfare, period. What about when civilians don't die (I'm thinking of a couple of feudal wars in particular)? Or, hell, when you just straight up win? What about colonialism? Seemed to be going pretty well.

I think you are making a claim about the situation of today, not war in general. You are also forgetting the rulers are not their countries, and things which benefit them do not necessarily benefit the country, and vice versa: conquering the world may not help the country, but it would sure make the conqueror, personally, very happy. And finally, your solution is so Utopian as to be irrelevant: if Leaders (nay, everyone) were all so capable of considering other people, they'd never be any issues at all, about anything.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1524 on: April 19, 2015, 07:52:11 pm »

Misko-

Rome, (and before that, with the assyrian basin, et al)--  Falls into #1, Resources that one wants, and the other does not want to provide. For rome, this was slaves, exotic new foods and craft goods, more soldiers to fuel the war machine, and increased tax base.   For the Assyrian basin, it was mostly increases in available arable farmland (and thus food), and #3, differences in ideology, fueled by world domination ambition. 

So no-- the ancient world still fits.

And yes-- the utopian goal was kinda intentional.  When you stop thinking about "Ra Ra Ra, OUR NATION! RA RA RA!" (and also the "ALL FOR ME! FUCK EVERYONE ELSE, I WANT IT ALL!") and start thinking more "You cant put a price on a good neighbor", the utopian benefits pop up all of themselves.

The problem is that people dont seem to want to operate in that mode of thought.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1525 on: April 19, 2015, 08:09:52 pm »

Inb4 the republicans are so focused on fighting hillary that they don't even notice the runner ups until too late and by the time they do notice, all they have are hillary stuff and no dirt on the others.

Also: "The GOP base yearns for fresh faces." Would be nice if the Democratic base yearned for fresh faces as much as the GOP base does.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 08:11:24 pm by smjjames »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: April 19, 2015, 08:12:38 pm »

Who even are the runners up?

Also I love the giant red arrow pointing right on Hilary's logo.
Shoes...

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: April 19, 2015, 09:33:00 pm »

"It's getting better, therefore it's not bad"?

Thank you for showing the way to completely misrepresent my meaning with the fewest words.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: April 19, 2015, 09:41:33 pm »

New Hampshire's GOP summit is over. The upshots are Christie isn't dead, Intervention NOW (where? everywhere), "Hillary Clinton is evil", and "Please no Jeb Bush".

Texas Sen. Ted Cruz said he’d be a good debater head-to-head with Clinton, especially about income inequality.

Oh boy, I can't wait to hear this one.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: April 19, 2015, 09:47:15 pm »

"It's getting better, therefore it's not bad"?

Thank you for showing the way to completely misrepresent my meaning with the fewest words.
Okay, what was your actual meaning, then? I apologize for misunderstanding, but I'm no clearer to figuring out what you were trying to say.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 1342