Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1546797 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 2016 Election Megathread- It Is Terrifying
« Reply #1365 on: April 12, 2015, 12:15:25 pm »

>Silent on Wal-Mart's anti-union policies
>Potential conflict of interest with law firm she worked with that did state work
>Suspicious behavior in Whitewater controversy
>Voted for PATRIOT Act
>Renewed PATRIOT Act in 2005 after compromising on civil liberties issues
>Voted in favor of allowing Iraq invasion, did not oppose continued operations until 2007
>Introduced FEPA, which would have given ESRB game ratings the force of law
>Voted in favor of financial system bailout in 2008
>Didn't pay adequate attention to Benghazi security requests

That's literally everything I could find against Clinton in her Wikipedia article that's worth talking about, and some of those are real stretches (particularly Benghazi). Especially when combined with the stuff she's accomplished, I can't say I'm terribly upset with her. Obviously, her record is not ideal, and if somebody better comes along somehow they'll get my vote, but I'm still completely comfortable voting for her. Particularly given her competition.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: April 12, 2015, 12:26:59 pm »

Whitewater? Wasn't that like 20 years ago?

*checks wiki*

Edit: Yeah that was about 20 years ago. I only vaguely remember something about whitewater. I was a kid and didn't pay much attention to politics at the time.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 12:30:43 pm by smjjames »

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: April 12, 2015, 12:41:00 pm »

I tried to be thorough, in the interests of fairness. Learned some things, too! I had no idea she was on Wal-Mart's board of directors for a while in the late 80s, early 90s, for example. Research is fun, but it failed to turn up any particularly damning misdeeds.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: April 12, 2015, 12:46:33 pm »

Whitewater? Wasn't that like 20 years ago?

*checks wiki*

Edit: Yeah that was about 20 years ago. I only vaguely remember something about whitewater. I was a kid and didn't pay much attention to politics at the time.

It's an important one!  It was the first of the modern era abuse-the-press-rules "scandals".  Understanding it is vital to understanding why the political cycle is so dysfunctional.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: April 12, 2015, 01:57:51 pm »

Yep, Whitewater was to the role of press in politics what Gingrich's time as Speaker of the House was to the flow of the legislative process. It also helps explain why Clinton was able to handle Benghazi so well: she's already seen an attempt to fabricate a scandal from whole cloth in an effort to disrupt a presidential campaign, and she has experience dealing with it.

Can't we just elect Optimus Prime?  He'd be abut forty million times better than these douchebags.
"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" is a hell of a lot better than any hackneyed campaign slogan we're likely to hear, truth be told.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: April 12, 2015, 03:44:05 pm »

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 2016 Election Megathread- It Was Inevitable
« Reply #1371 on: April 13, 2015, 12:40:37 pm »

In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: April 14, 2015, 07:51:50 am »

My view of Republican Primary:
"KNIFE FIGHT! KNIFE FIGHT! KNIFE FIGHT!"

In actual news... 2 Republican Politicians commit suicide.  Possibly, the first did so over the corruption within the state and the ad-fueled mudslinging.  The other's reasoning is a bit more cryptic.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #1374 on: April 14, 2015, 11:06:34 am »

If Hillary won the nomination, I would seriously fear for her life. There are a lot of people who are afraid she'll take their peni guns.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1375 on: April 14, 2015, 11:09:57 am »

That is what the secret service is supposed to be for?  I'm not sure how it works, but don't they end up protecting presidential candidates at some point?
At the very least, they've apparently managed to keep a black man and his family alive so far.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1376 on: April 14, 2015, 11:49:12 am »

He isn't anti-gun.

Anyway, I'm seriously about ready to start pushing Prime/Eeyore 2016.  I hate these worthless politicians and everything they stand for.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1377 on: April 14, 2015, 02:38:14 pm »

Eeyore? Meh, he'll just make people feel depressed or something.

Not sure if Eeyore is supposed to be a depressed character or a mellow character.

Anyhow, does anybody remember whether the democrat lineup looked as small as it does now in past elections? Not counting incumbent democrat president.

Both parties were pretty enthusiastic in '08.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1378 on: April 14, 2015, 02:41:47 pm »

Anyhow, does anybody remember whether the democrat lineup looked as small as it does now in past elections? Not counting incumbent democrat president.

2000, Al Gore faced only 1 real opponent and won every single primary.  So if O'Malley and Biden both run we will have more nominal opposition then in 2000.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1379 on: April 14, 2015, 02:57:23 pm »

2000, Al Gore faced only 1 real opponent and won every single primary.  So if O'Malley and Biden both run we will have more nominal opposition then in 2000.
That could have something to do with Gore being the sitting VP. There's sort of an unwritten rule that if the veep is running (after the sitting President is ineligible because of term limits) that you don't run against him from within your own party.

Biden hasn't enjoyed that kind of respect from the Democratic Party because...well

1) He's Joe Biden.
2) The force that is Mecha-Hillary.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 1342