Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1547015 times)

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 2016 Election Megathread- It Is Terrifying
« Reply #1350 on: April 11, 2015, 12:43:35 pm »

Hillary running is a joke. Nobody wants to continue the Bush-Clinton Dynasty any further.

77% of Democrats have a favorable opinion of her. It's easy to forget that Bay 12 is very much a highly liberal bubble- just because there aren't many moderates on here doesn't mean they aren't out there. They are, in their millions.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: April 11, 2015, 12:47:26 pm »

There also seems to be a fair amount of support for jeb, for some ungodly reason. Apparently a fair chunk of people out there do want to continue the bush-clinton dynasty.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: April 11, 2015, 12:55:13 pm »

Hillary running is a joke. Nobody wants to continue the Bush-Clinton Dynasty any further.

77% of Democrats have a favorable opinion of her. It's easy to forget that Bay 12 is very much a highly liberal bubble- just because there aren't many moderates on here doesn't mean they aren't out there. They are, in their millions.

That's even IF Jeb Bush gets the nomination.

The democrats really aren't offering a whole lot of alternatives to Hillary, she's the only one who has officially set their candidacy, so far. Though there isn't really anybody who can stand up to Hillary in the debates, not at first glance anyway.

I wonder what her VP short list is?

There also seems to be a fair amount of support for jeb, for some ungodly reason. Apparently a fair chunk of people out there do want to continue the bush-clinton dynasty.

Might be mainly name recognition? Besides, it's still incredibly early on, things could change greatly months from now.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: April 11, 2015, 01:14:03 pm »

Yeah, I've gotta say, I'd vote Clinton. She did a decent job her first time around, and more importantly I haven't ever heard anything bad about her except vague assertions of her shady evilness and attempts to manufacture scandals. I've long ago discarded the sanity of voting for a president on the basis of "I'd like to have a beer with this person", and if the email nonsense is a representative example of her misdeeds then she must be outrageously ethical by political standards.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #1354 on: April 11, 2015, 01:18:27 pm »

I think I remember looking over her stated positions and thinking they were alright, so as long as she makes some attempt at following through on them, I'll call it a win. I'd still prefer a more liberal candidate, but eh. Whatever.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: April 11, 2015, 01:21:20 pm »

Might be mainly name recognition? Besides, it's still incredibly early on, things could change greatly months from now.

Has something to do with bleed over from celebrity culture mindset, I'm guessing.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: April 11, 2015, 01:31:43 pm »

Clinton falls under the category of "We could do a hell of a lot worse," as far as candidates go. I mean, of course what we want is a showdown between the lovechild of the Roosevelts and Marx in the blue corner, Reagan and Rand in the red corner, Jefferson and Madison in the third corner, and Mother Earth, Jesus, and Odin in the fourth, but that's sure as hell not what we're going to get. Calling it now that it's Clinton vs. Bush 2016.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: April 11, 2015, 01:40:16 pm »

I'd vote for odin, at least. Dude did pretty good on that frost giant thing. Keeps to his platform policies, and at least he'd be forthright about the xenocide.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: April 11, 2015, 02:11:08 pm »

I'd vote for odin, at least. Dude did pretty good on that frost giant thing. Keeps to his platform policies, and at least he'd be forthright about the xenocide.

That meme slightly annoys me, partly for the inaccuracy and partly because Loki is far more trustworthy and self sacrificing. I mean c'mon, the guy seduced a horse because it was the best thing for Asgard at the time.  :P
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: April 11, 2015, 02:21:28 pm »

That meme slightly annoys me, partly for the inaccuracy and partly because Loki is far more trustworthy and self sacrificing. I mean c'mon, the guy seduced a horse because it was the best thing for Asgard at the time.  :P
Doesn't change the fact that Loki is still a trickster God. Though he's actually a frost giant or something, he isn't actually from the same family as the other gods.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: April 11, 2015, 02:54:07 pm »

Doesn't change the fact that Loki is still a trickster God. Though he's actually a frost giant or something, he isn't actually from the same family as the other gods.

He's an Aesir by adoption rather than by birth, but there's not actually much difference between the two god clans and the frost giants anyway.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: April 11, 2015, 03:39:19 pm »

Can't we just elect Optimus Prime?  He'd be abut forty million times better than these douchebags.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: April 11, 2015, 07:31:46 pm »

He's an Aesir by adoption rather than by birth, but there's not actually much difference between the two god clans and the frost giants anyway.

He's not a frost giant specifically, he's just a giant. But yeah, the difference between giants and "gods" are minuscule anyway, unless the story in question calls for the giants in it to he different. The only attribute consistant between different giants distinguishing them from the aesir/vanir peoples is that they aren't aesir/vanir.
Love, scriver~

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: April 12, 2015, 02:01:32 am »

...she hasn't had any major public gaffes that I'm aware of.
This is actually completely untrue, but the fact that you don't realize that is why it's ok: we've seen it already and no one cares. You can only be outraged about so many insubstantial things for so long, and bringing things up now would seem like beating a dead horse. You can hardly bring up shit from when she was first lady now, and I'm sure not many people could cite exactly what it was that she did with her time then.

But anyway, Clinton's campaign is a reminder that national politics is strongly influenced by "Clap your hands if you believe" magic: Clinton's air of invulnerability has become actual invulnerability (surely it's not because of her massive logistical support network that has been quietly building up for 8 years now). She's invincible because people think she is invincible.

Incidentally, could someone explain why we keep calling the Clintons a dynasty? Dynasty implies multiple generations, and I don't seem to recall there being more then one Clinton as president. Chelsea doesn't seem much interested in it either. Which reminds me: I think we can all agree, in any case, that the real point of electing Hillary is to elect Bill Clinton as First Lady.
That's even IF Jeb Bush gets the nomination.
This is a much, much more relevant question. Unlike 2012, where the republican primaries effectively functioned as an extended roasting of their inevitable candidate (It was basically "Anyone but Mitt" for several months there), there is actual opposition here. For one, Jeb Bush's protégé: Marco Rubio, who will also be announcing Sunday (Their base of support overlaps tremendously). Rand Paul is likely to be a much more legitimate threat than his dad as well, with a broader base of support and significant advantages in the early primaries. And Scott Walker seems to be gaining momentum as the premier choice of the social conservatives (though Ted Cruz may be drawing some of that energy). And those are just the top prospects; outside of that territory we have everyone from Bobby Jindal to Lindsey Graham, from Rick Perry to Carly Fiorina. The Republican primary is gearing up to be extremely competitive, but I'm confident it will succeed in producing the compromised, "That's not quite what I meant" candidate I expect.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: April 12, 2015, 07:18:24 am »

She's invincible because people think she is invincible.

Well y'know that and the part about being broadly popular with the electorate, well connected, having campaign funds and being a household name nationally.

It's not a chicken and the egg situation here.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 1342