Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1547555 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 2016 Election Megathread- It Is Terrifying
« Reply #1290 on: April 07, 2015, 07:54:01 pm »

So what you're saying is, stab the bankers......at the right time?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: April 07, 2015, 08:10:43 pm »

Maybe?... If we saw a resurgence of union action or some other massive outbreak of political will to alter society's structure in a way that lessened the privilege of the wealthy elite, and they responded with mass brutality, assassinations, and guile to protect their dominance (as has happened in the past)... would you disagree?

I guess what I'm saying above all is I don't believe in absolutes.  To assume that a particular course of action is never justified or constructive, regardless of circumstances, doesn't work for me.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 08:16:47 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: April 07, 2015, 08:20:40 pm »

Any sufficiently popular revolution makes violence irrelevant. If a large enough portion of people just stop and demand societal alteration, no amount of money or power can turn it back. You might say that's impossible, but it's no more impossible then getting a sufficient number of people to overthrow society by force.

Despite everything, we exist in a civil society and have gotten results from that. I believe that winning the argument is possible.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: April 07, 2015, 08:21:21 pm »

Any sufficiently popular revolution makes violence irrelevant. If a large enough portion of people just stop and demand societal alteration, no amount of money or power can turn it back. You might say that's impossible, but it's no more impossible then getting a sufficient number of people to overthrow society by force.

Despite everything, we exist in a civil society and have gotten results from that. I believe that winning the argument is possible.
Heck, Gandhi did it!
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: April 07, 2015, 08:37:09 pm »

I totally agree.  But I also don't think whether or not this is possible is the totality of things to take into consideration.  Penguinofhonor did a pretty good job on this point.  If we want an existing situation to change because it causes misery and death, then we shouldn't discount strategies for bringing about change on the basis that they cause misery and death.  That's a good reason to explore all possible options as much as possible.  But the nature of such a situation is that any option, including waiting for the right opportunity to do things in the best possible way, unavoidable involves deciding for yourself the direction, volume, and gravity of misery and death you'd rather have.

And sometimes there are deadlines... like the environment...

Heck, Gandhi did it!

I've seen it argued that Ghandi's pacifism has been pretty heavily flanderized, and that there was really a lot more to the struggle for Indian independence than that.  Just like MLK's civil disobedience didn't single-handedly win over the civil rights era, but you won't hear about that unless you dig a bit.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 08:40:26 pm by SalmonGod »
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: April 07, 2015, 09:32:52 pm »

Both Gandhi and King owed much of the success of their civil disobedience campaigns to the rising tide of violence that preceded them. When a full scale war -that looks to be an extremely dirty one- seems about to break out, someone willing to risk their lives without violence -someone who won't fight on philosophical grounds, but has courage enough to gain the respect of even the most warlike of men- becomes a very attractive way out.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: April 07, 2015, 09:39:30 pm »

Going to jump on the NC political comedy bandwagon.

NC Republican Senate candidate who supports anti-gay legislation has been outed as a former drag queen - Miss Mona Sinclair.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #1297 on: April 07, 2015, 10:25:37 pm »

Both Gandhi and King owed much of the success of their civil disobedience campaigns to the rising tide of violence that preceded them. When a full scale war -that looks to be an extremely dirty one- seems about to break out, someone willing to risk their lives without violence -someone who won't fight on philosophical grounds, but has courage enough to gain the respect of even the most warlike of men- becomes a very attractive way out.

Yup. I'll also note, MLK and probably also Ghandi used widespread economic violence as an important part of their campaigns, through the use of boycotts.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: April 07, 2015, 10:38:55 pm »

economic violence
vi·o·lence
behavior involving physical force intended to hurt, damage, or kill someone or something.

the unlawful exercise of physical force or intimidation by the exhibition of such force.
I refuse the dignify the term 'economic violence'. That kind of notion, where you re-brand an existing word with extremely strong connotations, doesn't sit well with me at all. Reminds of the over-use of the word "bullying" because people want to justify extreme measures against whatever behavior they don't like that week.

On that note, I do find it hilarious that one of google's definitions for the word requires it to be 'unlawful'.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: April 07, 2015, 11:09:14 pm »

Uh, it's still force intended to hurt, damage, or kill someone or something. Just (sometimes) less immediate than a fist to the face. Using your resources to disenfranchise, make homeless/poor/etc., and so on, is definitely in the same sort of category hiring a couple of chums to break someone's kneecaps, and oft times considerably more effective at causing harm. The existing word with strong connotations is used because the connotations in question are exactly what's happening with the situation being considered.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: April 08, 2015, 06:38:37 am »

Didn't people try to kill MLK and Ghandi?  You got a lot of shit to deal with, being leader of an organization that is clearly antagonistic to the power base, peaceful or not. 
Also, damned good legal support that needs to be on top of all the hurdles that can be thrown...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: April 08, 2015, 07:33:20 am »

Are we discussing revolution to overthrowing the wealthy? Cause I'm sure none of the candidates will be running on that platform.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: April 09, 2015, 02:55:03 am »

Didn't people try to kill MLK and Ghandi?
People DID kill MLK and Ghandi. MLK was shot from another building while in his hotel room, and Ghandi had a guy just run up and unload a pistol in his chest.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: April 09, 2015, 09:43:59 am »

Uh, it's still force intended to hurt, damage, or kill someone or something. Just (sometimes) less immediate than a fist to the face. Using your resources to disenfranchise, make homeless/poor/etc., and so on, is definitely in the same sort of category hiring a couple of chums to break someone's kneecaps, and oft times considerably more effective at causing harm. The existing word with strong connotations is used because the connotations in question are exactly what's happening with the situation being considered.
I disagree. Machiavelli, I choose you!
Quote from: Machiavelli
Therefore, you must know that there are two modes of fighting: one in accordance with the laws, the other with force. The first is proper to man, the second to beasts. But because the first, in many cases, is not sufficient, it becomes necessary to have recourse to the second...
Violence means physical force. Fighting with laws is not violence, although it is a type of conflict. I don't agree with trying to redefine violence just because there are things worse then violence that people can do to each other that doesn't fall under violence. When you say violence, people think "crush, kill, destroy". Using it any other way is just confusing. Why not use a more general word to define your thing?

I've actually already had arguments with people about ideological redefining of violence. My complaint here is the same there: It doesn't matter how much worse something is then violence, violence doesn't mean "do bad things to people", it means "the use of force to do bad things". Maybe you are trying to make the point that violence is not as bad as other things, and that's fine.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: April 09, 2015, 10:16:22 am »

We fundamentally disagree on what falls under the scope of force, then. Force within and outside the law is no different, t'me, and driving someone into the dirt with money or emotional abuse is straight equivalent in nature to just breaking their legs and shoving their face to the ground. "Conflict" is entirely too tame a word for what's being talked about, and not nearly descriptive enough of the intent or the outcomes.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 1342