Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1548576 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 2016 Election Megathread- It Is Terrifying
« Reply #1170 on: April 01, 2015, 03:32:11 pm »

It still seems like a bad idea. Moderate republicans should be able to tell which way the wind is blowing socially in America, and it's definitely going in support of LGBT rights. Sure, they may solidify the support of their base to cinch the nomination, but they'll lose out on undecided voters during the elections when they have to defend their support of it.

More likely this is just another Republican purity test. They like to issue those right around the primaries, just to see who is still playing ball with the establishment or not. Sort of like the perennial "no new taxes" pledges.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: April 01, 2015, 03:41:49 pm »

Republican Candidates:
Ted Cruise: A loud moron.

Democratic Candidates:
Queen Hillary Clinton.

Are these really the only choices?

The only way Clinton will be pushed at least a little to the left would be with a friendlier congress, Presidents don't exist in a vacuum.  That said, there are numerous pick up opportunities for the Dems in 2016.  WI-Senator, for example.  Ron Johnson is waaaaay too conservative for the state and should fall with Pres year turnout out of Madison & Milwaukee.  Ditto for Kirk (R-Illinois).

Also, Dan Coats (R-Indiana) is retiring, opening up another pick up opportunity.  Aaron Burr (R-North Carolina) is near invisible, but does sit in a seat that could flip.

Think you mean Richard Burr. Who unfortunately has far less chance of being killed in a duel.

And yes, he's nearly invisible because he doesn't fucking *do* anything except take lobbyist money and vote however they pay him to. Burr is the epitome of an empty suit senator.

And with Thom "Government shouldn't make food service employees wash their hands" Tillis up there now, he's not even the most conservative NC senator. I'm curious if he might face a surprise Tea Party insurgency in the primaries.

I expect the Democrats to run the same slate of underwhelming candidates as usual, which means the seat is likely a lock for Burr, unless he takes damage in the primaries. Especially given the general red shift in the state.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: April 01, 2015, 06:10:41 pm »

It still seems like a bad idea. Moderate republicans should be able to tell which way the wind is blowing socially in America, and it's definitely going in support of LGBT rights. Sure, they may solidify the support of their base to cinch the nomination, but they'll lose out on undecided voters during the elections when they have to defend their support of it.

More likely this is just another Republican purity test. They like to issue those right around the primaries, just to see who is still playing ball with the establishment or not. Sort of like the perennial "no new taxes" pledges.

You're giving far too much credit to the average voter's willingness and ability to pay attention to politics, or retain any memory of their observations.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: April 01, 2015, 06:12:52 pm »

You're giving far too much credit to the average voter's willingness and ability to pay attention to politics, or retain any memory of their observations.

Darn it, I always do that.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: April 01, 2015, 06:44:24 pm »

I'd like to think that it is just a tiny little bit harder to forget, if the opposition is competent enough to strategically bring up recent primary promises that contradict general election promises.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1175 on: April 01, 2015, 11:55:03 pm »

I'd like to think that it is just a tiny little bit harder to forget, if the opposition is competent enough to strategically bring up recent primary promises that contradict general election promises.

Assuming anyone actually listens to/watches and absorbs political ads instead of tuning it out in disgust.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: April 02, 2015, 08:11:44 pm »

Average voters tend to care more in presidential years. And when they do tune in, there is a whole frenzy waiting to tell them things. And since people don't typically outright lie in a way that can be easily and obviously contradicted, they are forced to at least acknowledge events on the ground.

In Indiana, that reality includes businesses cancelling expansions in the state. Jeb Bush at least seems to have distanced himself. Ted Cruz is just loud and proud on it (I believe five thirty eight noted that Ted Cruz is the most conservative candidate out there, for reference; the difference between Michelle Bachmann and Jeb Bush is less then the difference between Michelle Bachmann and Ted Cruz.) Cruz is certianly the most right-wing Republican, and Jeb is pretty far the to center with regards to the party (although he certainly isn't the most left-wing republican). We'll see how the potential candidates left of Cruz and right of Bush deal with it: Gay marriage is more internally divisive than many issues in the republican party, not the least of which for electability; potentially, things could be interesting.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: April 03, 2015, 07:39:36 am »

One hopes for a day when conservative =/= crazy and/or stupid. I mean, it should be possible to be really conservative without being stupid or crazy.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: April 03, 2015, 09:42:56 am »

One hopes for a day when conservative =/= crazy and/or stupid. I mean, it should be possible to be really conservative without being stupid or crazy.

I agree, it really is a shame when all people of group x are x. /generalizations
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: April 03, 2015, 10:19:06 am »

Conservative ideas can make sense. "Let's not go changing things willy-nilly, it could end up even worse." Just that it ends up being "Don't damn well change a thing!" And then you get things like basic human rights and climate change which need change and soon, and it's obvious to nearly everyone that it needs change.

There was another point I wanted to make but I've forgotten. Oh well.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #1180 on: April 03, 2015, 10:36:17 am »

And then you've got the modern republican party: "Things should be exactly as we imagine they were 50 years ago!" Where their imagination has no bearing on reality.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: April 03, 2015, 10:38:01 am »

Where their imagination has no bearing on reality.
Really? I thought racism was pretty rampant in the US 50 years ago. /circlejerk

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: April 03, 2015, 11:18:15 am »

Conservative ideas can make sense. "Let's not go changing things willy-nilly, it could end up even worse." Just that it ends up being "Don't damn well change a thing!" And then you get things like basic human rights and climate change which need change and soon, and it's obvious to nearly everyone that it needs change.

There was another point I wanted to make but I've forgotten. Oh well.
Point being that modern "conservatives" are in fact reactionaries. They're not trying to preserve status quo, they're looking to undo decades of progress as quickly and haphazardly as possible.

Those who actually are conservatives are called "moderates" and seen by the new GOP as Quislings, as worse than Democrats.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: April 04, 2015, 08:04:07 am »

Guess what Mike Huckabee said. He said "gays won't rest until there are no more churches". And he says he has friends of his that are gay? Pfft......

I bet his gay friends would punch him in the face if he said that to their faces. Way to burn the bridges Huckabee.

I'm not gay myself, but I do know people who are gay and they certainly don't have that sentiment.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 08:07:57 am by smjjames »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: April 04, 2015, 08:15:18 am »

Maybe all his gay friends happen to also be norwegian extreme-anti-christian death-metal activists.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 1342