Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1546449 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 2016 Election Megathread- It Is Terrifying
« Reply #1035 on: March 20, 2015, 09:35:44 am »

Look, if we're going to take over europe, shoving it all together and splitting it into 50 even pieces isn't going to be a substantiative issue. We've even more or less got practice in the best* ways of doing so!

*Insofar as destabilizing and hamstringing a region goes, anyway :V
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: March 20, 2015, 10:57:33 am »

Every seat has its own election. Each state has two Senate seats that are voted on by the whole state every six years (they're staggered so they don't get voted on in the same year), and a varying number of House seats that are voted on every two years by districts of states with relatively equal population.
This is precisely why it's possible for a Congress with a 10% approval rating to have a 90% reelection rate.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: March 20, 2015, 11:07:29 am »

Every seat has its own election. Each state has two Senate seats that are voted on by the whole state every six years (they're staggered so they don't get voted on in the same year), and a varying number of House seats that are voted on every two years by districts of states with relatively equal population.
This is precisely why it's possible for a Congress with a 10% approval rating to have a 90% reelection rate.

Any idea how to fix though?

De-gerrymandering the districts would definetly be a start.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: March 20, 2015, 11:14:08 am »

Have the requirement for running for a second term to be surviving public self-immolation, naked. That'd fix the reelection rate right quick, one way or another.

... or we could fix the gerrymandering, I guess. That would involve considerably less flaming politicians, though...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: March 20, 2015, 11:22:19 am »

Go look into the German election system - it combines the advantages of having a local representatives with an immunity against gerrymandering.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bundestag#Election
Apparently the system is called Mixed-Member Proportional Representation:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mixed-member_proportional_representation
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: March 20, 2015, 11:33:08 am »

We've had the discussion before, and the main issue is that MMP would instantly turn the US into a oligarchy via party bosses and at least half of elected officials being appointed instead.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: March 20, 2015, 11:37:20 am »

Oligarchy? In MPP small parties can rise fairly easily...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: March 20, 2015, 11:40:12 am »

Oligarchy? In MPP small parties can rise fairly easily...

This has its own issues, though- look at the Knesset: one of the reasons Israel's government is so difficult to deal with is that the balance of power in its legislature is held by ultra-Orthodox parties with one or two seats, so everyone has to pander to them.

Germany has a cutoff system, yes, where you need at least 5% of the vote to get any seats?

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: March 20, 2015, 12:01:51 pm »

I believe Israel instituted a higher minimum threshold this time around as well, 3.25% instead of the previous 2%. This only wound up disqualifying one party which would have previously picked up a seat, Yachad (a far-right splinter of Shas) which had 2.97%.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: March 20, 2015, 12:02:12 pm »

I believe Israel instituted a higher minimum threshold this time around as well, 3.25% instead of the previous 2%. This only wound up disqualifying one party which would have previously picked up a seat, Yachad (a far-right splinter of Shas) which had 2.97%.

TIL.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: March 20, 2015, 12:05:04 pm »

Germany has a cutoff system, yes, where you need at least 5% of the vote to get any seats?
Yep, 5% or at least three direct mandates to get seats via your list - one of the lessons from the Weimar Republic. Anything else would be madness.
The Bay12 postcard club

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: March 20, 2015, 12:16:47 pm »

Go look into the German election system - it combines the advantages of having a local representatives with an immunity against gerrymandering.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bundestag#Election
Apparently the system is called Mixed-Member Proportional Representation:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mixed-member_proportional_representation

The immediate issues I'm seeing from this:
-Your representative doesn't actually represent his "district" in any meaningful sense, he represents the party he's running for (on that note, that raises the question of what MPs are even needed for in this system when you could just have the party leaders cast all the votes, with their vote percentage determining how many votes they get)
-This being the case, there wouldn't be any congressmen or senators that more or less stick to their guns in representing their views, and instead each party would largely be a homogenous blob of moderates. So instead of Warrens, Duciniches, Pauls and Snowes, you would have party composed of Hillary Clinton and another filled with Jeb Bush.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: March 20, 2015, 12:31:20 pm »

-Well sure, but that's no different than the current American system: A congressman represents his district, but also has to look out for the interests of his party because they'll be bankrolling his re-election campaign.
-Tell that to Ströbele :D And again, party discipline is a thing even in today's US.
The Bay12 postcard club

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: March 20, 2015, 01:55:43 pm »

There are other ideas though, such as multi-member electorates. i.e. consolidate congressional regions down a little, and you vote in the "top 2" or "top 3" guys per region. This has some potential benefits especially when combined with instant run-off voting, although it needs a caveat that excess votes for a winning candidate get distributed to the next in line.

having 3-seat districts, would basically force all major parties to offer more than one candidate each per district for you to vote for, for your congressional district (so they can get 2 out of the 3 seats), while making traditional gerrymandering very hard to pull off / limited rewards. In a 2-party system, with 3 seats per voting district, it would basically be a given that one Republican and one Democrat would get elected, but there would be that swing vote for the third seat, and they'd have to field 2 of each Rep/Dems for you to pick from. In other words, depending on how you do it, it would emphasize individual merits of politicians over increased party line adherence.

I think this model would be simpler and would work better in America than the Mixed Member Proportional system. There's no need for things like party lists and the like this way.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 02:08:55 pm by Reelya »

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: March 20, 2015, 03:53:58 pm »

a few glasses of malbec on my lunch date- in this moment, I am euphoric

nixon now, muthafuckas.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 03:56:14 pm by FearfulJesuit »

Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 1342