Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1546419 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 2016 Election Megathread- It Is Terrifying
« Reply #1005 on: March 19, 2015, 08:35:04 pm »

Horse takes a sip a lot easier when there's no obstacle course in the way and they don't have to walk half a day to get there, though... time and availability might not, strictly speaking, generate interest, but it does make it a lot easier for that interest to spark. It'd take relatively little effort to knock down some walls between the voter and the ballot.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: March 19, 2015, 08:46:10 pm »

What you describe is the transformation of a free market into an oligopoly by conglomeration. That certainly is a thing, but not in and of itself a consequence of a market being free. The real consequence is not that free markets are bad, but that some markets need government interference to become free.
Rule one of criticizing capitalism should be intellectual accuracy, if only to ward off reactionary criticism.

I suppose you're right that it's not a consequence of a market being free, because I see it happening whether the market is "free" or not, unless there are very strict controls placed on wealth accumulation that prevent any one person or organization from gaining disproportionate influence.  I think they'd need to be so strict as to be hardly recognizable as capitalism anymore, because the way I see it, inequality weathers away barriers to its widening much the same as water freezing/thawing in cracks of rock.

But this isn't a criticism of capitalism itself, so much as the slippery wordplay that U.S. free market proponents employ to avoid anything ever being seen as a consequence of their ideology.
People/businesses using their money to create/influence organizations that suppress competition and create oligopoly is not accepted as criticism of free market ideology, because their doing so makes the market not free.
Yet placing any controls on the use of money to prevent anyone from doing this also makes the market not free, and capitalism naturally provides the greatest rewards to those who find and leverage advantages, whether they're free market in nature or not.
So by these standards, which by my understanding are genuinely the standards of definition proposed by libertarians in the U.S., asking for a free market is like asking for a fire that doesn't consume the fuel it burns.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: March 19, 2015, 09:43:32 pm »

"...Also, eat this bowl of eggs."
Heh
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #1008 on: March 19, 2015, 09:53:22 pm »

EDIT: I am also strongly against mandatory voting. I believe that not voting is just as strong a political expression of opinion as actual voting is. On the whole, I believe it represents a lack of faith in our government and also a lack of faith in the quality of the character of the available candidates, so when people don't vote I don't expect the government to make it mandatory I expect them to DO BETTER. Don't take that too literally, as it's entirely philosophical. I don't vote partially on those grounds and also because it's a bit of a hassle while I'm at college and I don't feel like mailing my vote in (i'm talking voting for all political office here).

The problem with that is that the majority of the government, especially the worst parts, not only don't care whether you have faith in the government, they actively want you to not have faith in it and not vote, because that makes it easier for them to use it to fuck us over with. Why do you think they spend so much money on negative ads? To actively dissuade you from voting.

When you choose not to vote, they don't take it as a sign that they should do better- They take it as a sign that they can do whatever they like and fuck you over as hard as they feel like, cause obviously you can't be bothered to do anything about it.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: March 19, 2015, 10:01:20 pm »

EDIT: I am also strongly against mandatory voting. I believe that not voting is just as strong a political expression of opinion as actual voting is. On the whole, I believe it represents a lack of faith in our government and also a lack of faith in the quality of the character of the available candidates, so when people don't vote I don't expect the government to make it mandatory I expect them to DO BETTER. Don't take that too literally, as it's entirely philosophical. I don't vote partially on those grounds and also because it's a bit of a hassle while I'm at college and I don't feel like mailing my vote in (i'm talking voting for all political office here).

The problem with that is that the majority of the government, especially the worst parts, not only don't care whether you have faith in the government, they actively want you to not have faith in it and not vote, because that makes it easier for them to use it to fuck us over with. Why do you think they spend so much money on negative ads? To actively dissuade you from voting.

When you choose not to vote, they don't take it as a sign that they should do better- They take it as a sign that they can do whatever they like and fuck you over as hard as they feel like, cause obviously you can't be bothered to do anything about it.

Which is why I use my protest votes on third parties.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: March 19, 2015, 10:08:21 pm »

I don't see the negative ads as them trying to dissuade voting, they're trying to say
"Candidate1: he/she is worse than I am!
Candidate2: No, you!
Candidate1 No, you!
Candidate1 No, you!
Candidate1 No, you!
Candidate2: No, you! xinfinity
Candidate1 No, you! xinfinity"

To oversimplify it anyway.

Maybe we should try mandatory voting locally in some places and see how that goes. Unless that would just confuse people?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 10:12:15 pm by smjjames »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: March 19, 2015, 10:32:42 pm »

Candidates do negative advertizing because it works.

People find politicians a convenient scapegoat for the failure of the voters.  But if you point out that the voters are fucking things up they talk about "liberty" when they really mean apathy.  ::)
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: March 19, 2015, 10:59:53 pm »

It is interesting - the research I recall suggests that negative advertising hurts the advertiser, just less than the target.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: March 19, 2015, 11:05:40 pm »

What you describe is the transformation of a free market into an oligopoly by conglomeration. That certainly is a thing, but not in and of itself a consequence of a market being free. The real consequence is not that free markets are bad, but that some markets need government interference to become free.
Rule one of criticizing capitalism should be intellectual accuracy, if only to ward off reactionary criticism.

I suppose you're right that it's not a consequence of a market being free, because I see it happening whether the market is "free" or not, unless there are very strict controls placed on wealth accumulation that prevent any one person or organization from gaining disproportionate influence.  I think they'd need to be so strict as to be hardly recognizable as capitalism anymore, because the way I see it, inequality weathers away barriers to its widening much the same as water freezing/thawing in cracks of rock.

Possibly because a "Free Market" is impossible and its advocates pretend Private institutions are more of a natural force than something being imposed to make their undemocratic system work.

Capitalism has always depended on controlling essential commodities that it cannot produce, and free market advocates continuously attempt to seize those resources through whatever means they have available. Control over government is only a natural extension of how (neo)liberal policies operate.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: March 19, 2015, 11:30:57 pm »

It is interesting - the research I recall suggests that negative advertising hurts the advertiser, just less than the target.

And wierd advertising just confuses everybody.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: March 20, 2015, 03:08:54 am »

But this isn't a criticism of capitalism itself, so much as the slippery wordplay that U.S. free market proponents employ to avoid anything ever being seen as a consequence of their ideology.
People/businesses using their money to create/influence organizations that suppress competition and create oligopoly is not accepted as criticism of free market ideology, because their doing so makes the market not free.
Yet placing any controls on the use of money to prevent anyone from doing this also makes the market not free, and capitalism naturally provides the greatest rewards to those who find and leverage advantages, whether they're free market in nature or not.
So by these standards, which by my understanding are genuinely the standards of definition proposed by libertarians in the U.S., asking for a free market is like asking for a fire that doesn't consume the fuel it burns.

Yet if the market was as free as that advocated by even a moderate libertarian, then the government would be largely powerless to suppress competition for anyone's benefit in the first place and lobbying it for privileges would be a waste of time. Under the current system, the government is the means by which corporations gain undue influence and stability in the first place, so it seems a bit paradoxical to use the government (which is basically always serving for the benefit of some powerful interest or another) to crack down on the power attained by corporations which they gained from the government. At the end of the day, this sort of thing doesn't actually get the entrenched and powerful interests, it provides an excuse to go after the up and coming entrepreneurial types that actually earn their money (case in point, raising income taxes, which hits high level professionals and business owners, but doesn't even remotely affect the billionaires that advocate "paying a fair share" since they make their money on stocks and bonds). So long as you have a powerful government in place, you're going to have a class of people that are basically above the law, and nothing short of a Communist revolution will displace them - and that'll just create a new, similar class built inside government structures instead of corporate ones.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: March 20, 2015, 06:44:17 am »

And wierd advertising just confuses everybody.
God damn it wierd, stop confusing people.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: March 20, 2015, 07:26:35 am »

Gorbachev 2016!
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: March 20, 2015, 08:29:57 am »

Horse takes a sip a lot easier when there's no obstacle course in the way and they don't have to walk half a day to get there, though... time and availability might not, strictly speaking, generate interest, but it does make it a lot easier for that interest to spark. It'd take relatively little effort to knock down some walls between the voter and the ballot.
Indeed.

Mail-in Ballets
Businesses must allow time for employees to take time off to vote, with very hefty fines for non-compliance.
Polling places need to be open longer, both in hours of the day and number days, to accommodate the reality of normal work hours.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: March 20, 2015, 08:33:57 am »

So all we've shown is that these libertarians are idiots :P (And perhaps that I should have said 'Actually Existing Capitalism'.)

The thing is, their definition of 'free market' is a perversion:
Quote from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_market
A free market is a market system in which the prices for goods and services are set freely by consent between sellers and consumers, in which the laws and forces of supply and demand are free from any intervention by a government, price-setting monopoly, or other authority.
So anti-trust legislation, or taxation, or cap-and-trade systems aren't contradictorary to a market being free, since they don't inhibit the laws of supply and demand! Do you really want to let your terminology be determined by intellectual midgets?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 09:17:44 am by Helgoland »
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 1342