Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1544230 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 2016 Election Megathread- It Is Terrifying
« Reply #780 on: March 09, 2015, 02:46:56 pm »

Eh, Dems wouldn't bat an eye at that. It's more than he's a bit handsy in diplomatic situations. He does seem to like to snuggle up to people, which some might consider charming, others creepy and still others inappropriate. I think the concern is that "Uncle Joe" is a little too folksy. For the VP that's fine, for the President it comes with some costs. GW took a lot of flak for not having enough gravitas, I think Biden has some of the same problems.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: March 09, 2015, 03:20:46 pm »

I mostly think of his "gaffes" as swearing with a live mic, and such.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: March 09, 2015, 03:43:59 pm »

Honestly, I like Biden because of his gaffes. Shows he's not always a politician and that he has things he cares more about than just pandering for votes.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: March 09, 2015, 03:52:42 pm »

Vote for a charming uncle figure who doesn't take policy advice from his wife's astrologers. Vote Biden.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: March 09, 2015, 04:13:11 pm »

Hey, since these things always seem to come down to "which candidate would you rather have a beer with?", Biden should run. Because I'd totally grab a beer with Biden. I doubt Clinton even DRINKS beer. And how can you understand the American people if you don't chug a cold one every now and then?

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: March 09, 2015, 04:26:06 pm »

And how can you understand the American people if you don't chug a cold one every now and then?

Repeated head trauma?  :P
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: March 09, 2015, 04:26:39 pm »

I think the momentum to elect the first female president is going to be pretty hard to ignore on the Democrat side.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: March 09, 2015, 04:31:14 pm »

I think the momentum to elect the first female president is going to be pretty hard to ignore on the Democrat side.

At this time in early 2007, Clinton's candidacy looked pretty inevitable, too. Then again, we ended up electing America's first black president instead of its first female president.

It's definitely true that pretty much all her potential rivals are greying white guys- there aren't any minorities waiting in the wings. But enough of the Democratic base distrusts Hillary that someone with a good enough ground game could steal the nomination.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: March 09, 2015, 04:32:18 pm »

Well Hillary has a lot going for her as a mainstream candidate, and the 'first female president' thing could be enough to win over the Democrats that are less fond of her.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: March 09, 2015, 04:37:16 pm »

But enough of the Democratic base distrusts Hillary that someone with a good enough ground game could steal the nomination.
As someone who doesn't really follow US politics: how can Clinton be the obvious Democratic candidate when the above is (presumably) true?

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: March 09, 2015, 04:38:57 pm »

But enough of the Democratic base distrusts Hillary that someone with a good enough ground game could steal the nomination.
As someone who doesn't really follow US politics: how can Clinton be the obvious Democratic candidate when the above is (presumably) true?

Absence of a direct challenger.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: March 09, 2015, 04:40:01 pm »

ninja'd. Right now I think no democrat wants to invoke the ire of the progressive parts of the party, the electorate, or the next potential POTUS.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: March 09, 2015, 04:44:02 pm »

Hillary's the only candidate (so far) with significant appeal to the entire party, even if large elements of the base distrusts her. Every viable candidate so far either has declined to run, or has appeal only within a fairly narrow range of the voting base, which not only limits their appeal but risks alienating and shearing off large portions of the "fringe" voters (who are roughly in the middle of the two parties depending on how the current candidates stand on the issues most important to them) or single issuers, driving them into the Republican camp.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: March 09, 2015, 04:44:36 pm »

Correct. At this point, it's essentially circular reasoning: Hillary is the frontrunner because she's the frontrunner, and nobody is stepping up to challenge her because she's the frontrunner; and since nobody else dares to take her on, she's the default candidate.

There's also a lot of goodwill left over from her husband's years in office, too. Most Americans remember Bill's administration fondly, including a lot of working-class whites, who have spent the past fifty years slowly migrating away from the Democrats. I worked a few phones for the Obama campaign in the weeks before the 2012 election- this was in a Rust Belt city that still has a large white working class-, and about every fourth or fifth call I'd get some guy in his fifties who was nostalgic for Bill Clinton but disliked Obama.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: March 09, 2015, 04:47:49 pm »

Correct. At this point, it's essentially circular reasoning: Hillary is the frontrunner because she's the frontrunner, and nobody is stepping up to challenge her because she's the frontrunner; and since nobody else dares to take her on, she's the default candidate.

There's also a lot of goodwill left over from her husband's years in office, too. Most Americans remember Bill's administration fondly, including a lot of working-class whites, who have spent the past fifty years slowly migrating away from the Democrats. I worked a few phones for the Obama campaign in the weeks before the 2012 election- this was in a Rust Belt city that still has a large white working class-, and about every fourth or fifth call I'd get some guy in his fifties who was nostalgic for Bill Clinton but disliked Obama.

Expanding on this, a lot of people consider Hillary to have been the brains behind Bill in the first place, with the most common reason given (around here, anyway) for voting for her in the primary was "she did a good job the first time she was President."
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 1342