Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1543542 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 2016 Election Megathread- It Is Terrifying
« Reply #210 on: January 27, 2015, 02:09:24 pm »

My point wasn't so much about the role of Congress in the Iraq war as in the fact that Republicans and Democrats don't differ that much on foreign policy.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: January 27, 2015, 02:14:41 pm »

Uh, wow. Yeah, 40% and 60% support really isn't much of a difference compared to 96% and 98% support.

Apparently.

I, um. Personally, that strikes me as being somewhat divergent. Just a smidgen.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: January 27, 2015, 02:19:51 pm »

It's clear there's a difference... But not exactly a polarization, as there is on other issues.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: January 27, 2015, 02:20:27 pm »

They can always go the constitutional monarchy route, like England and a number of other countries.

Anyhow, the king was ousted in a coup back in 1973, so it's a matter of the populace choosing whether they want the monarchy back or not. The royal family is still around, though the current crown prince is like 80. So, they could have the monarchy in a figurehead-like role (I'm thinking England here) and still have a democracy or republic. Again, it's up to the people there whether they want the monarchy or not.

Bahrain didn't escape the arab spring in that they still had the protests, but cracked down hard on them.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: January 27, 2015, 05:24:42 pm »

Also I'd like to point out that the last time the US tried to impose monarchy on the middle east Iran happened.
Love, scriver~

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: January 27, 2015, 05:42:20 pm »

Didn't we force that monarchy on them rather than the people choosing the monarchy? Theres a difference between forcing it (like Iran was a vassal or something) and the people choosing it.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: January 27, 2015, 06:37:51 pm »

Also I'd like to point out that the last time the US tried to impose monarchy on the middle east Iran happened.
Was mentioned already, and explicitly excluded. The order of desirability is democracy > monarchy > dictatorship > anarchy.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: January 27, 2015, 08:50:26 pm »

My point wasn't so much about the role of Congress in the Iraq war as in the fact that Republicans and Democrats don't differ that much on foreign policy.
The (much wordier) phrase you are looking for is "the parties lack internal homogeneity regarding foreign policy". Anything else is simply inaccurate (or damned lies). Simply put, foreign policy is not a partisan issue the way economic and social issues are. There are entirely different things at work, such as the fact that foreign policy is far more particular to the President and their personal views then the party composition of Congress (it's much easier to agree on things you don't have to deal with). The Democratic party neither came up with nor executed US actions during the Bay of Pigs Invasion and Cuban Missile Crisis (even if they did take some credit for them). They were Kennedy and his foreign policy teams' decisions. Divisions are not really along any consistent lines to begin with, so they should be discussed specifically with the issue in mind (discussing Iran vs Intervention in Iraq vs. warming ties with Cuba). I mean for example, both parties in Congress (if we average them out and act like the opinions of party minorities don't matter) support further sanctions on Iran, while Obama opposes further sanctions and says they would poison the well in negotiations (Congress likes poisoning wells).

And we're getting drawn back in again, largely due to the same ripple effects of us leaving the power vacuum. As for the splitting up of Iraq, yeah, nobody (the politicians at least) seriously considered that as a possibility previously. Now, it looks like that could very well happen anyway. I suppose we had too much hope and optimism initially.

We seem to be doing somewhat better with Afghanistan, probably in large part due to there being an actual Afghani ethnic and cultural identity.

IMO, restoring the Afghan monarchy would have been the smartest move- absolute monarchies have legitimacy that strongmen or even democracies don't always have. Saudi Arabia, Oman, Jordan, Morocco, Bahrain, Qatar, and the Emirates all escaped the Arab Spring with nary a peep. It's no coincidence that they were all absolute monarchies. The difference between a dictatorship and a monarchy is still very much a real one in the Middle East.

(Now, replacing a democracy with a monarchy, which we did in Iran in 1953, is a dumb move. But if you can't get a working democracy in place, a monarchy may be your next best bet.)

But, of course, we are too enlightened and liberated in the twenty-first century to impose absolute monarchies on people, now, aren't we?
Couple things: The question is not of enlightenment, but of the question "on what basis would an absolute monarch rule?" I hardly think that absolute monarchy would go over well in, say, Cuba. I can't imagine that the US could have successfully pushed for monarchy of any kind in Libya or Egypt, for example (Sisi seems like he might agree to it, but I don't think he is royal material.) Second: I have to take issue with listing Bahrain on a list of countries from which no peep was heard during the Arab Spring.

In general, monarchy is for case-by-case bases.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: January 27, 2015, 09:07:24 pm »

The (much wordier) phrase you are looking for is "the parties lack internal homogeneity regarding foreign policy". Anything else is simply inaccurate (or damned lies). Simply put, foreign policy is not a partisan issue the way economic and social issues are. There are entirely different things at work, such as the fact that foreign policy is far more particular to the President and their personal views then the party composition of Congress (it's much easier to agree on things you don't have to deal with). The Democratic party neither came up with nor executed US actions during the Bay of Pigs Invasion and Cuban Missile Crisis (even if they did take some credit for them). They were Kennedy and his foreign policy teams' decisions. Divisions are not really along any consistent lines to begin with, so they should be discussed specifically with the issue in mind (discussing Iran vs Intervention in Iraq vs. warming ties with Cuba). I mean for example, both parties in Congress (if we average them out and act like the opinions of party minorities don't matter) support further sanctions on Iran, while Obama opposes further sanctions and says they would poison the well in negotiations (Congress likes poisoning wells).

And we're getting drawn back in again, largely due to the same ripple effects of us leaving the power vacuum. As for the splitting up of Iraq, yeah, nobody (the politicians at least) seriously considered that as a possibility previously. Now, it looks like that could very well happen anyway. I suppose we had too much hope and optimism initially.

We seem to be doing somewhat better with Afghanistan, probably in large part due to there being an actual Afghani ethnic and cultural identity.

IMO, restoring the Afghan monarchy would have been the smartest move- absolute monarchies have legitimacy that strongmen or even democracies don't always have. Saudi Arabia, Oman, Jordan, Morocco, Bahrain, Qatar, and the Emirates all escaped the Arab Spring with nary a peep. It's no coincidence that they were all absolute monarchies. The difference between a dictatorship and a monarchy is still very much a real one in the Middle East.

(Now, replacing a democracy with a monarchy, which we did in Iran in 1953, is a dumb move. But if you can't get a working democracy in place, a monarchy may be your next best bet.)

But, of course, we are too enlightened and liberated in the twenty-first century to impose absolute monarchies on people, now, aren't we?
Couple things: The question is not of enlightenment, but of the question "on what basis would an absolute monarch rule?" I hardly think that absolute monarchy would go over well in, say, Cuba. I can't imagine that the US could have successfully pushed for monarchy of any kind in Libya or Egypt, for example (Sisi seems like he might agree to it, but I don't think he is royal material.) Second: I have to take issue with listing Bahrain on a list of countries from which no peep was heard during the Arab Spring.

In general, monarchy is for case-by-case bases.

I'll fess up- I just thought I had remembered Bahrain and didn't do my fact-checking. I'll retract it from my post.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: January 27, 2015, 09:29:35 pm »

Was mentioned already, and explicitly excluded. The order of desirability is democracy > monarchy > dictatorship > anarchy > communism.

FTFY.

Oh, hey, the Atlantic has a candidacy cheat sheet.

Sarah Palin:

"Can she win the nomination? No.

When will she announce? It doesn't matter."
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: January 27, 2015, 09:35:01 pm »

Yeah, the palin and trump sections were probably the best bits of the article.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: January 27, 2015, 10:26:59 pm »

I wonder why Hillary Clintons team want Romney to run? lol. Maybe they know that they can slam dunk him into the ground.

The Democrat field looks kind of meagre, but a dark horse upstart could very well show up. Remember Obama? He was a dark horse out of left field candidate in 2008.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 10:38:10 pm by smjjames »

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: January 28, 2015, 02:14:43 am »

I don't think Mrs. Clinton really inspires the Democratic base to vote, especially when compared with someone who is perceived as energetic, idealistic, and pure.  It's really hard to look energetic, idealistic, and pure when you've been around as long as Hillary Clinton.   She's produced no end of material for adversaries to smear her with in recent years, as well.

Are Democrats happy enough with this dark horse (DAS RACIST  :P) President to vote for another one so soon?

...A few hours of stewing about politics later...

I forgot to not care.  I find it's best to not care, given how totally immoral our government is, whoever is in the White House.  Is 8 years enough time to end domestic spying?  Is it enough time to stop persecuting journalists and whistle-blowers?  Is it enough to stop murdering extra-judicially, in cold blood?  Do the Democrats bear any responsibility for these policies, now?  They could have stopped them; they had the seats before 2012.   Does liberty mean throwing men and women into prison for consenting economic activity (I specifically meant the drug war, though you wouldn't take it too awry if you thought I meant prostitution)?  I think not, but nearly every politician and bureaucrat in the federal government does.  Let's not even get into the way the racist drug war and greedy governments has morphed our police into highwaymen and thugs.

I don't presume to tell anyone how the scales of moral bankruptcy fall, for I don't know your morals and wouldn't impose mine.  For me, these Parties are appalling in equal parts and I don't care to plumb the depths of their evil to decide which I detest least.  I do know that our Rights, naturally-derived (or God-given, if you please) and/or State-granted, are written for naught, because they are ignored as readily as scrawling on the men's lavatory door.  What stake do I have in my government when the ultimate law of the land has the same power as "Call 232-xxxx for a good time"?

That's quite melodramatic, but I do feel better now.

I'm too idealistic to settle for someone who's just the lesser evil, but too cynical to believe anyone else could show up or that they'd ever get popular support if they did.

p2w
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 02:22:53 am by Rez »

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: January 28, 2015, 01:47:10 pm »

Well, speaking with the article in mind, the Democratic consensus is that if Hillary runs, she will immediately kill the bids of any moderate or establishment democrat (there's a reason Cuomo made it clear he would sit things out a long time ago). The reason people keep mentioning Joe Biden is because he is the only establishment figure (Vice-President is pretty establishment as things go) who could feasibly face Hillary Clinton while still having a chance of getting the nomination. Her strategy so far has sucked the air out of the room.

The Republican nomination is going to be a brutal, ruthless bloodbath that will, in the best case scenario for republicans, leave a candidate scarred but resistant to criticism, a baptism by fire that would leave them capable of taking Hillary Clinton head on. In the worst case scenario, it would be like the 2011-12 primary season, but so much better worse. In any case, this is the entertaining one, with a large roster of very serious and not-so-serious candidates prepared to fight tooth and nail for every bit of support, with every single candidate stepping on at least one other candidates toes.

I'm dramatically understating how fun the Republican nomination is going to be.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 1342