Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1543521 times)

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 2016 Election Megathread- It Is Terrifying
« Reply #195 on: January 26, 2015, 02:36:00 pm »

So, are we already at the point where I start cheering for a Paul because everyone else is retarded in different, worse, ways?
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: January 26, 2015, 02:54:51 pm »

Well, there are a few who have expressed interest who might be good.

How far back would you have to go to find a decent non-retarded republican candidate that ran in a presidential election? My experience mainly goes back to 2004, I don't really remember the other candidates that ran in 2000.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: January 26, 2015, 04:01:11 pm »

McCain didn't seem so bad at the time - then again I was thirteen back then...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: January 26, 2015, 04:26:02 pm »

Well, there are a few who have expressed interest who might be good.

How far back would you have to go to find a decent non-retarded republican candidate that ran in a presidential election? My experience mainly goes back to 2004, I don't really remember the other candidates that ran in 2000.

Bush Senior wasn't the worst- he was strong on environmental issues and is probably most notable for signing the Americans with Disabilities Act.

Reagan was terrible- pretty much all of the modern GOP's dysfunction was conceived during Reagan's tenure. (It's arguable that Nixon laid the egg that Reagan hatched, especially with the Southern Strategy.)

Ford was decent. Nixon was pretty decent on domestic issues and had one or two foreign-policy victories that weren't bombing campaigns, notably opening up to China. Further back than the 1970s you're looking at an entirely different party- if Dewey, Eisenhower or Rockefeller ran today American liberals would think they'd died and gone to heaven.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: January 26, 2015, 08:54:30 pm »

McCain didn't seem so bad at the time - then again I was thirteen back then...
The big thing with McCain is that he holds a grudge against the GOP for effectively killing his career-defining legislation: the McCain-Feingold Act. As such, he does indeed have the will and the record of going against the party's will. But that's about it. He's a born and bred Reaganite.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: January 27, 2015, 06:48:53 am »

He also focus on foreign policy, an area where Republicans tends to be less batshit insane.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #201 on: January 27, 2015, 08:37:18 am »

Or at leas, less distinguishable from democrats.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: January 27, 2015, 08:44:51 am »

He also focus on foreign policy, an area where Republicans tends to be less batshit insane.

Foriegn policy? Pfft, look at Bush Jr. I don't know that much on Bush Sr. though.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: January 27, 2015, 08:49:24 am »

Foriegn policy? Pfft, look at Bush Jr. I don't know that much on Bush Sr. though.

Bush Sr. got us into a single war with Iraq that lasted a few weeks, was for a very good reason, and (compared to his son's adventures) costed barely anything. Otherwise, he pretty much presided over the transition from the Cold War to the relative stability of the 1990s.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: January 27, 2015, 09:26:11 am »

40% of Democrats in the House and 60% of Democratic Senators voted to invade Iraq. Being stupid abroad is one of the few things people from both parties can agree on.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: January 27, 2015, 09:34:27 am »

It was also, understandably, not all that long after 9/11 and the patriotic rage was still going.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: January 27, 2015, 10:14:36 am »

In some ways, the GOP's foreign policy is now better-intentioned than it was decades ago, and it just makes bigger messes. Since the end of the Cold War, we've been very gung-ho about democracy abroad, often without really understanding how the countries we're "liberating" actually work.

Democracy was not going to work in Iraq. It's an unstable country with a small middle class and ethnic and sectarian tensions that completely override any sense of national or economic identity. Instead of partitioning the country along said lines, which would probably have given us some measure of stability in at least Kurdistan, we imposed a system that we knew wouldn't work on a society that didn't want it (because real democracy means giving up your sectarian bickering- anyone can hold elections, but they're not the same thing).

Then, pretty much as soon as we left, Iraq collapsed, as it had been itching to do since we overthrew Saddam, and ISIS filled the power vacuum.

Why do Americans keep doing this? Because we think everyone is an American, yes, even Republicans when they're clear-minded enough not to indulge in bigoty. Everyone is an enlightened Westerner at heart; if we just remove the evil dictators and insurgents that oppress them, they'll put away their silly sectarian divisions and be part of a modern Western society. (I think part of the issue is that America is defined not by an ethnicity or sect but by the lack of any clear ethnic or sectarian identity. This is what makes America wonderful, but it means we don't understand why Iraqis insist on thinking along religious or ethnic lines.)

There's a case to be made that a bit more realpolitik could have saved us a lot of money and bloodshed. Instead of propping up impotent democracies in Baghdad or Kabul, Nixon or Eisenhower would just have put in better strongmen. They'd have maintained national stability at gunpoint, but if we're unwilling to redraw borders, is that actually worse than the very real alternative, where insurgencies maintain national instability at gunpoint while the federal government sits back and panics?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: January 27, 2015, 10:29:43 am »

And we're getting drawn back in again, largely due to the same ripple effects of us leaving the power vacuum. As for the splitting up of Iraq, yeah, nobody (the politicians at least) seriously considered that as a possibility previously. Now, it looks like that could very well happen anyway. I suppose we had too much hope and optimism initially.

We seem to be doing somewhat better with Afghanistan, probably in large part due to there being an actual Afghani ethnic and cultural identity.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: January 27, 2015, 12:18:01 pm »

40% of Democrats in the House and 60% of Democratic Senators voted to invade Iraq. Being stupid abroad is one of the few things people from both parties can agree on.

It helps the cause of stupidity where you are being lied to by the sources that are supposed to vet the information.  In the US government system congress doesn't do prospective investigation, at most it does retrospective investigation when something is fucked up.  The executive branch can just lie to congress and congress can't do anything except consider impeachment after the fact.  Congress was lied to in two very important matters:
1) The executive branch vastly overstated the thoroughness of it's investigation before the vote
2) The executive branch said that it would only invade as a last resort and after further inspections.  In fact they planned to invade immediately.

So congress was hardly commendable but it's not like they were all jingo-istic hawks.  Their approval for reasonable steps to avoid WMD programs was abused by the executive branch.  Not that what the executive branch did was illegal, just unprecedented.  (And yes I am aware of gulf of Tonkin, Maine Incident, etc., but the manner in which this was done was different from previous warmongering in American history.)
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: January 27, 2015, 02:06:14 pm »

And we're getting drawn back in again, largely due to the same ripple effects of us leaving the power vacuum. As for the splitting up of Iraq, yeah, nobody (the politicians at least) seriously considered that as a possibility previously. Now, it looks like that could very well happen anyway. I suppose we had too much hope and optimism initially.

We seem to be doing somewhat better with Afghanistan, probably in large part due to there being an actual Afghani ethnic and cultural identity.

IMO, restoring the Afghan monarchy would have been the smartest move- absolute monarchies have legitimacy that strongmen or even democracies don't always have. Saudi Arabia, Oman, Jordan, Morocco, Qatar, and the Emirates all escaped the Arab Spring with nary a peep. It's no coincidence that they were all absolute monarchies. The difference between a dictatorship and a monarchy is still very much a real one in the Middle East.

(Now, replacing a democracy with a monarchy, which we did in Iran in 1953, is a dumb move. But if you can't get a working democracy in place, a monarchy may be your next best bet.)

But, of course, we are too enlightened and liberated in the twenty-first century to impose absolute monarchies on people, now, aren't we?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 09:08:00 pm by FearfulJesuit »

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 1342