Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1543601 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 Election Megathread- 2016 Edition
« Reply #105 on: January 19, 2015, 07:02:19 pm »

What if we outfitted our expedition force with their own built-in quantum stabilization units to cancel out the generator effects? I know that the bulk of current models and their small volume of coverage would sharply limit the size of what we can pass through, but I think we could optimize our use of the space they can cover beyond themselves by carrying over as little organic matter as possible - stripping down excess mass, leaving perhaps little more than a brain and some surrounding nervous tissue, and integrating the machine throughout the chassis should let us keep things compact enough to fit in the field. Now, the members of the Detroit PD who survived the incident will have the closest thing to familiarity with the unreality that occupies the space, and are both highly motivated to restore their home and known to be of the upstanding moral character we'd require for this operation, so I think we might be able to get some qualified volunteers from that group.

Ultimately, I think this initiative might have a place in at least exploring the area first-hand, even if we can't talk the people in charge into getting the machine shut down. We could call them, oh, I don't know, Cybernetic Law Enforcers.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

StrawBarrel

• Bay Watcher
  • I do not use social media regularly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 19, 2015, 08:09:26 pm »

Nah man, Detroit is turning into farmlands.

http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/239844
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEPs3Ta-6eg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sgd6GqCCHg

--------------------------------
Far Flung Presidential Election Predictions:
Hillary Clinton vs Jeb Bush General Election: Clinton wins.
Clinton is too strong and I don't think Romney will beat Bush.
Max avatar size is 80x80

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 19, 2015, 08:23:50 pm »

... y'know, it'd be really rather nice if neither of them ran at all. It would significantly reduce the urge to burn down the local polling buildings.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 19, 2015, 08:30:15 pm »

The issue with Detroit is that it no longer fully exists in this universe anymore. After containment failure was confirmed at the Lake Erie Exotic Physics Laboratory in 1967 the entire area underwent a variable phase shift into a large number of other realities that are now intersecting with this "disconnected" section of our own. While the realityquakes are never stable enough to allow anything else to come through in an organized fashion, the things that get sorted into our world are frequently disruptive enough to prevent what remains of Detroit's population from having a civil society.

While theoretically if somebody were to reach the LEEP they could deactivate the quantum field generator and return the region to something resembling normal, the subatomic void surrounding the facility has destroyed/neutralized all such attempts. That whatever the former scientists of the LEEP now are have been intentionally modulating the field to ensure all intruders are stopped does not help the situation at all. With any luck, the experimental nuclear reactor that powers the field generator will run down to subcritical output by 2035 or so.

Personally, I've always thought the government had reservations about turning it off anyway. What we've learned from the Detroit Zone is irreplaceable, and they're always going to be hoping for the next big discovery to get an edge on the Chinese.

If this isn't a novel yet, it should be.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 19, 2015, 08:30:41 pm »

... y'know, it'd be really rather nice if neither of them ran at all. It would significantly reduce the urge to burn down the local polling buildings.
Why don't you like them? Other than their last names :P

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 19, 2015, 08:39:34 pm »

Jeb was florida's governor (read: He had significant administrative influence over the state I live in), and one of the primary motivating forces behind the complete fucking of our education system over the last number of years. Among other bullshit. I'd give not unfavorable odds to the bet that setting the country on fire would do less damage to it than putting that bugger in charge.

Hilary... heart of a republican, flesh suit of a democrat remains a disturbingly good descriptor of her. Troubling history regarding civil rights and foreign adventurism, among other things I'm too dizzy and feverish to remember. Would not want to vote for either. Would only even consider voting for hillary if there was a notable chance of jeb actually winning. Would be entirely too tempted to burn down every polling booth in a thirty mile radius if the POTUS vote was between the two of them.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 08:41:06 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 19, 2015, 08:54:29 pm »

* Descan starts writing a Robocop fanfic...
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 20, 2015, 05:27:38 am »

Troubling history regarding civil rights and foreign adventurism, among other things I'm too dizzy and feverish to remember.
A bit more American adventurism would do the world much good right now, as long as it's handled by someone competent, aka not Bush. The pendulum's swung too far towards isolationism.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 20, 2015, 05:37:43 am »

Out of curiosity, which current issue do you think would be solved by American interventionism?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 20, 2015, 05:42:32 am »

Assad, IS, Libya. Not by outright intervention, but by bombing campaigns and arming the right people - especially Khalifa Haftar, who's so anti-islamist there's no possibility of our weapons ending up in the hands of terrorists.
The whole Ukraine situation would probably go much more smoothly as well if America decided to get indirectly involved on a larger scale, via training, propaganda, supplying weapons and armor, intelligence, etc etc.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 20, 2015, 05:46:38 am »

...how about no, helgo? i don't think even the resident americans approve of throwing the burden onto their shoulders

let them try and fix the almost-third-world mess they're stuck in once in a while maybe

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 20, 2015, 05:47:47 am »

Well, Syria at this point is a mess, and I feel the time for intervention is way past. Libya could be I guess. As for Ukraine, wouldn't on open American intervention just spur Russia into escalating its support too and generally intensify the conflict?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 20, 2015, 05:54:29 am »

America would have the advantage of having the legitimate party on its side: Ukraine can use its airforce with impunity, Russia cannot. Add to that bombers with the capability of detecting anti-air radar, such as the German Tornados, and you've got yourself a situation like Serbia in the 90s.
...how about no, helgo? i don't think even the resident americans approve of throwing the burden onto their shoulders

let them try and fix the almost-third-world mess they're stuck in once in a while maybe
It would kinda suck for them, sure, but it would be so much easier for the rest of us. It's not like Europe is going to be taking any kind of responsibility in the near future.
The Bay12 postcard club

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 20, 2015, 08:23:29 am »

America would have the advantage of having the legitimate party on its side: Ukraine can use its airforce with impunity, Russia cannot. Add to that bombers with the capability of detecting anti-air radar, such as the German Tornados, and you've got yourself a situation like Serbia in the 90s.

It would kinda suck for them, sure, but it would be so much easier for the rest of us. It's not like Europe is going to be taking any kind of responsibility in the near future.

Holy crap, you are worst than Bush. Never go full Bush or below that  :D.
Also your not correct on "Ukraine can use its airforce with impunity, Russia cannot", or the bomber/yugoslavia reference. Except in case you are asking for USA and NATO to go directly in combat against russia. But in both cases not sure how it will be faster or in any way better for europe, and is very strange thinking I must say.

Helgoland the war mongler from the shadows :P.
Make love not war

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 20, 2015, 10:04:21 am »

Holy crap, you are worst than Bush. Never go full Bush or below that  :D.
Also your not correct on "Ukraine can use its airforce with impunity, Russia cannot", or the bomber/yugoslavia reference. Except in case you are asking for USA and NATO to go directly in combat against russia. But in both cases not sure how it will be faster or in any way better for europe, and is very strange thinking I must say.

Helgoland the war mongler from the shadows :P.
I suppose I am a war monger - a short, intense war saves the lives that pacifists squander.
Russia can't use its airforce, because then everyone would have to admit it was involved directly.
Ukraine can use its airforce - but there's plenty of AA down there, which would have to be removed.
The Serbs in the 90s had one of he most advanced AA systems on the planet - the German Tornados however could pick up their radar, so anytime there was a Tornado in the air the AA systems would go unused, and NATO could drop its bombs unhindered. Giving Ukraine these capabilities would give it a huge advantage in this war.
And no, I am not arguing for direct Western intervention (here), just for arms sales to Ukraine and various other behind-the-scenes stuff. Nothing more than Russia does at the moment.
The Bay12 postcard club
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 1342