Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 569 570 [571] 572 573 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1549179 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread- Voting Trump/Wallace in '168
« Reply #8550 on: December 21, 2015, 11:19:50 am »

Just wait about half a year and it'll be almost immediately. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8551 on: December 21, 2015, 11:22:19 am »

I wonder, when was the last time that one of the party nominated a candidate that had not been a senator or governor?

Without looking at Wikipedia, the first that comes to mind is Eisenhower, he never held elected office AFAIK.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8552 on: December 21, 2015, 11:31:34 am »

I wonder, when was the last time that one of the party nominated a candidate that had not been a senator or governor?

George H.W. Bush was never Governor or Senator, although he was a Representative, Ambassador, RNC Chairperson, and Director of Central Intelligence. So not at all an outsider.

Edit: Also he tried for Senator once. Also notably, he was Vice President as well. So there's that.

Edit Edit: And then there was Gerald Ford, but that was weird all around. Only ever elected as Representative before being thrust into the Vice Presidency, and then a year later the Presidency. Next election, he ran as the incumbent, not sure if that counts as nominated by the party or not, but there he is.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 11:41:53 am by sluissa »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8553 on: December 21, 2015, 11:44:31 am »

Going back further to 1940, theres https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wendell_Willkie , but whether he would be considered a true outsider is debateable I guess.

For an elected president who didn't previously hold elected political office, theres Eisenhower (though his position as supreme allied commander in Europe had plenty of politics in it), Herbert Hoover was Secretary of Commerce for a couple years, but otherwise no elected office.

Taft technically didn't hold elected office, but he was active in politics for a long time: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Howard_Taft#Rise_in_government_.281880.E2.80.941908.29 Also, this is now before the 17th amendment which made senators directly elected rather than basically appointed. But for consistency, I'll still exclude senators.

Ulysses S. Grant didn't hold political office, but I don't know if people would consider him an insider today. He wasn't a total outsider by virtue of his position in the Union army.

Zachary Taylor maybe?

« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 12:17:05 pm by smjjames »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8554 on: December 21, 2015, 12:20:03 pm »

*has a random thought about Graham potentially being a VP*

*changes mind because he really doesn't have anything that would fill in a weakness (besides being a veteran) of or acctenuate a strength of any of the top 7 frontrunners. With positions 6 and 7 varying by where you look.*

Although, as one article puts it, he's now in a position to be a 'kingmaker' (why do we even have that term when our revolution was in rejection of a king? heh) for his home state when the SC primary comes up.
Considering Graham never even hit 15% in his home state, I don't think he's a kingmaker. He's not even a waffle maker.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8556 on: December 21, 2015, 01:38:07 pm »

Because of the NY Times paywall, I've quoted the entire article, but not any of the links or pictures. (Aside: the paywall is implemented in javascript, so... if you want those links or pictures... or a non-tiny font :P)

Jean Peters Baker, the county prosecutor here, stood at her desk poring over Facebook photographs of young men posing with guns. One wore a grinning mask and pointed his gun at the camera. Another clasped guns in each hand. A third was laughing uproariously, his finger on the trigger of an assault rifle.

“This is our reality,” Ms. Peters Baker said, gesturing toward the pictures from recent investigations. “I’m not talking about my uncle who still lives on a farm in central Missouri and uses a gun for hunting.”

In the past decade, Missouri has been a natural experiment in what happens when a state relaxes its gun control laws. For decades, it had one of the nation’s strongest measures to keep guns from dangerous people: a requirement that all handgun buyers get a gun permit by undergoing a background check in person at a sheriff’s office.

But the legislature repealed that in 2007 and approved a flurry of other changes, including, last year, lowering the legal age to carry a concealed gun to 19. What has followed may help answer a central question of the gun control debate: Does allowing people to more easily obtain guns make society safer or more dangerous?

Spoiler: the rest (click to show/hide)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8557 on: December 21, 2015, 01:50:12 pm »

The gun lobby and pro-gun rights people are always going to find some sort of excuse, no matter how ridiculous it is. Even if research or experimentation shows otherwise.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #8558 on: December 21, 2015, 02:12:07 pm »

Going back further to 1940, theres https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wendell_Willkie , but whether he would be considered a true outsider is debateable I guess.

I think he was a true outsider.  His stances on integration for instance were very much speaking from the heart and not from political expediency.  His candidacy was soon to be obsolete however, the New Deal and the post war era saw government getting a lot more complicated so candidates like Wilkie wouldn't be appropriate anymore.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8559 on: December 21, 2015, 02:17:38 pm »

Wow. Such emotions. Very evidence. Strange how many times they mention the age for a ccp going down to 19, but all of zero mentions at the number of permits granted or crimes commited but permit holders.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8560 on: December 21, 2015, 02:36:14 pm »

I think we're conflating two different issues here:

1) Universal background checks for handguns
2) Concealed carry permits

#1 is a good thing, #2 is more neutral imho.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8561 on: December 21, 2015, 02:45:51 pm »

Yeah, I'd say about the same. I will say that nyt has shown themselves to be such a prettiest poor source for gun control issues, as much as I like them otherwise. This article feels like it has all these statistics to back it up, then it never discusses them before dropping into trite appeals to emotion for the second half.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #8562 on: December 21, 2015, 03:45:49 pm »

Well that's the newspaper format.  If you want a different format read a magazine or a blog.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8563 on: December 21, 2015, 04:18:26 pm »

Mainiac, I totally love your new avatar. Perfectly exemplify your absolute lack of forum social skills. :p

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #8564 on: December 21, 2015, 04:30:28 pm »

Mainiac, I totally love your new avatar. Perfectly exemplify your absolute lack of social skills. :p

FTFY
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
Pages: 1 ... 569 570 [571] 572 573 ... 1342