Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1544329 times)

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 2016 Election Megathread- It Is Terrifying
« Reply #810 on: March 10, 2015, 01:46:16 am »

Obama motives are questionable, to say the least.

He goes on to sanction Venezuela's leaders over perpetrating human rights and crushing political opponents, while striving a removal of sanctions against Iran, a state that endorse terrorism almost openly, that is responsible for hundreds of thousands of dead syrian civilians (Actively assisting the Syrian government and is considered a main, perhaps sole reason that Assad is still in control), that is responsible for thousands, perhaps tens of thousands, of dead Yemeni civilians, a state which openly state their imperialistic aspirations regarding Iraq and other surrounding countries, a state who's leaders openly call for the destruction of the only real free democracy in the middle east, not to mention all the executions and human rights violations it imposes on its own people.

The thing is, Iran shouldn't get sanctioned just over its nuclear aspirations, it should be kept under sanctions because of all the other atrocities being made with their backing.

The call for an agreement is not to deny Iran of its nuclear capabilities, its that Obama could leave a legacy of achievements after he failed doing so by tragically misreading the map during and after the "Arab spring" and his inability to stabalize Ukraine. i don't think the delicate balance in a hell zone such is the middle east should be violently shaken just because Obama wants some trophies to put on his shelf.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: March 10, 2015, 04:21:31 am »

Duh. This is a discussion forum so i think it goes without saying that these discussions are an exchange of information and opinions. its kinda redundant and slightly unintelligent to point out to each other that we state our opinions every time a new.

Regardless, it is still possible to separate the opinionated part of my post and the factual statements (I even separated them into paragraphs so it could be easier to distinguish).

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: March 10, 2015, 09:03:06 am »

I don't think the U.S should go on a military campaign against Iran at all. i just think the sanctions are actually working and should just be kept until Iran stops its imperialistic actions throughout the middle east. there is a reason Iran is willing and eager to reach an agreement of sort. the fact that Iran could help against ISIS is also another point which i find a bit hypocritical. its not as if the Shiites backed by Iran act any better than ISIS, they just don't post videos of themselves committing such atrocities.  regardless, i don't see what good can there be if Iran de facto takes control of Iraq, Yemen, Syria and Lebanon.

I am also not sure Israel has much of an influence. its a small country with little effect on global economics. they are a noisy bunch that's for sure (So are the Palestines), but in terms of actual leverage on global or at least regional politics i think that Saudi arabia has far more power and influence and they are not at best terms with Iran to say the least.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: March 10, 2015, 09:16:29 am »

Israel has this odd thing where it's somehow shoved its dong so far down the US's throat you can stick an electrode up israel's arse and use it as a defibrillator. That's, to a large extent, where its disproportionate amount of influence comes from (in no small part due to the disgusting amount of military funding the states have poured into it over the years, on the regional level). Saudi Arabia or whatev' definitely would seem to be more influential nation states on the face of it, but they haven't managed to net the world's hyperpower as their own personal schlong gargler.

That and the whole nukes thing.

... in other neat bits of info regarding the US/Iran thing, it's kinda' interesting how cheerfully the states have forgotten the text of the non-proliferation treaty both countries are signatories of. What with that whole "assist other countries in developing civilian nuclear power" bit.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: March 10, 2015, 09:37:03 am »

Wait, Iran is a signatory to the non-proliferation treaty? I wasn't aware of that.

Kind of makes the whole debacle a joke, in a way.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: March 10, 2015, 09:42:20 am »

... there are precisely three countries in the entirety of the world that aren't (India, Pakistan, and Israel) at this point, and one other (North Korea) that withdrew.
Ask not!
Ask!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: March 10, 2015, 09:53:37 am »

Which, again, makes the whole thing silly, because why would they make nukes (as in weapons) if they're signatories.

Understandably, Israel is scared and the rhetoric coming out of Iran doesn't help matters.

Of course, if Israel actually does have nukes (not sure if it's been confirmed, but it's been rumored just short of confirmation), then they need to grow a spine.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #818 on: March 10, 2015, 10:04:07 am »

Israel has made it prety clear they have nukes, but they haven't publicly admitted it. They want the benefits of being a nuclear power without having to deal with the politics of having admitted they're a nuclear power.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 10:33:45 am by Angle »

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: March 10, 2015, 10:22:26 am »

... In terms of any of the potential candidates for this upcoming campaign I think most, if not all, candidates that have a reasonable chance of being nominated will probably have more geopolitical backbone than Obama.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: March 10, 2015, 10:32:52 am »

People prefer failure in a satisfyingly dramatic failure then accepting a very good victory indeed.  ::)
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: March 10, 2015, 10:43:41 am »

Israel has made it prety clear they have nukes, but they haven't publicly admitted it. They want the benefits of being a nuclear power without having to deal with the politics of having admitted they're a nuclear power.
I'm typically an anti-conspirafy theorist, but try this one from a devil's advocate: maybe they have no nukes. Maybe it's a double-bluff. People are so focused on determining whether a country has nukes they forget to check if they don't.

As for the US-Israel relationship, I can't help but note the left-wing forum taking the generic left-wing view. Come on folks, speak with a little nuance.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: March 10, 2015, 10:45:07 am »

As for the US-Israel relationship, I can't help but note the left-wing forum taking the generic left-wing view. Come on folks, speak with a little nuance.

Which is? If you're going to criticize an entire spectrum of the forum, maybe you should be a little less nuanced.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: March 10, 2015, 10:54:19 am »

People are so focused on determining whether a country has nukes they forget to check if they don't.
... what exactly would you suggest, there? Above the board inspections and whatnot have been consistently rebuffed by Israel, and what is known of more clandestine stuff to the general public points towards possession, so far as I'm aware.
Ask not!
Ask!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: March 10, 2015, 10:55:47 am »

People are so focused on determining whether a country has nukes they forget to check if they don't.
... what exactly would you suggest, there? Above the board inspections and whatnot have been consistently rebuffed by Israel, and what is known of more clandestine stuff to the general public points towards possession, so far as I'm aware.

Ironic when you consider how they've acted about Iranian inspections.

Like I said a while ago, if Iran would knock off threatening the total destruction of Israel, I think it would be way, way easier to call Israel out on being dicks, hypocrites, etc..
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 1342