Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 507 508 [509] 510 511 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1546097 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread- Voting Trump/Wallace in '168
« Reply #7620 on: December 09, 2015, 10:26:34 pm »

I wouldn't particularly care, what with the not drinking and all.
i'd care

i mean that raises a lot of questions

like, "why is Shadowlord in a bar?" and "how can i get him away from it so that i can order?"
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7622 on: December 09, 2015, 10:46:15 pm »

It's all a matter of what individuals consider the important right are. I mean, we might argue about some of them, but the important ones are part of the political culture. Democracy, liberty, opportunity, thepropertermforcarbonatedsugarbaseddrinksispop. Y'know, the basics.
You misspelled "soft drink", but that's okay. You're not from around here.
Ever since I learned that the term soft drink came from the term hard drink I've been trolling people by offering them water or orange juice when they ask for one. I do this not to make a statement about the correct term for soda, but because I want to watch the world burn.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7624 on: December 09, 2015, 11:04:43 pm »

Which part? The part about breasts and does?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7626 on: December 10, 2015, 09:06:51 am »

Edit:
Angela Merkel is TIME's person of the year

(because there doesn't appear to be a europe thread anywhere except the DPRK thread (wat), and we could use something else to talk about)

Absolutely disgusting.
Love, scriver~

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7627 on: December 10, 2015, 09:57:47 am »

i expected nothing less. ::)

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2015/12/09/459116186/planned-parenthood-shooter-im-a-warrior-for-the-babies
People should tell him to read the bible  :P

How would that help? We already know he's nutters anyway.

Yeah, he might just find support for his crazier ideas. #BecauseGod

Spoiler: offtopic song stuff (click to show/hide)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7628 on: December 10, 2015, 10:09:21 am »

An opinion poll by Bloomberg Politics / Purple Strategies Pulse shows two thirds of the Republican voters to support Trump's plea, to stop muslims from entering the country.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #7629 on: December 10, 2015, 10:29:23 am »

An opinion poll by Bloomberg Politics / Purple Strategies Pulse shows two thirds of the Republican voters to support Trump's plea, to stop muslims from entering the country.
Polls only show statistics of the voters who take polls.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7630 on: December 10, 2015, 11:08:29 am »

Polls only show statistics of the voters who take polls.

I just find it hard to believe that there is some vast untapped swell of Republican voters out there who are opposed to Trump and are just being missed by the polls.

Occam's Razor -- America is not full of people who believe in "one nation indivisible with liberty and justice for all", but rather "we'll put a boot in your ass, it's the American way...and get them furriners the hell out".  :-\

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7631 on: December 10, 2015, 11:20:07 am »

And the statute of liberty started shaking her fist.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #7632 on: December 10, 2015, 11:59:38 am »

I just find it hard to believe that there is some vast untapped swell of Republican voters out there who are opposed to Trump and are just being missed by the polls.

Occam's Razor -- America is not full of people who believe in "one nation indivisible with liberty and justice for all", but rather "we'll put a boot in your ass, it's the American way...and get them furriners the hell out".  :-\
I do, but that's mostly because most moderates simply don't care enough about primaries to vote on either side of the divide.  I suspect that this is part of the reason Sanders is doing so well, unfortunately; most people who will end up supporting Hillary are simply people who don't care enough to vote in primaries, while his supporters are highly motivated.

It's not a new thing, sadly.  Leaving aside the Japanese-American internment camps which get brought up, I suspect that the last time American nativism had a groundswell this large was with the Know Nothings and their opposition to vile Catholic popery, shiftless Irish, and Papal conspiracies.  No, that was the time before; the last time was with anti-Chinese sentiment that culminated in the Chinese Exclusion Act. 
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 12:01:35 pm by Culise »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #7633 on: December 10, 2015, 12:08:36 pm »

65% of republican voters said they were planning to vote for someone other then Trump in the lastest poll on the RCP list (cbs/ny times).

Correct me if I'm wrong but dont you often say that you think there is huge opposition among democrats to Clinton?  Only 45% of democrats in that same poll didn't say they were planning to vote for Clinton (quite a few undecideds, unlike the republicans).

Occams razor is says to make the fewest and smallest assumptions.  It does not look to me like you are making the fewest and smallest assumptions.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7634 on: December 10, 2015, 12:15:40 pm »

I do, but that's mostly because most moderates simply don't care enough about primaries to vote on either side of the divide.  I suspect that this is part of the reason Sanders is doing so well, unfortunately; most people who will end up supporting Hillary are simply people who don't care enough to vote in primaries, while his supporters are highly motivated.

It's not a new thing, sadly.  Leaving aside the Japanese-American internment camps which get brought up, I suspect that the last time American nativism had a groundswell this large was with the Know Nothings and their opposition to vile Catholic popery, shiftless Irish, and Papal conspiracies.  No, that was the time before; the last time was with anti-Chinese sentiment that culminated in the Chinese Exclusion Act. 

There was a pretty significant period during the 1920's and right after WWI. We've had a pretty long history dealing with nativism.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nativism_%28politics%29#Nativism_in_the_United_States

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2015/12/german-immigrants-repression-1917-213427 (This one is actually particularily ironic when it comes to Trump)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 12:18:00 pm by smjjames »
Pages: 1 ... 507 508 [509] 510 511 ... 1342